General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long solo rides -- what's it like?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:45 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

How you handle a trip like that depends on you. If you are more of a social animal, the kind that always has to surround themselves with friends or family, then I suspect you would get bored. However, if you are more of a loner type, I bet you would enjoy the hell out of a ride like that.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:14 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Well over half my road trips have been solo since 1972 and I've had a great time each and everyone of them . Been lots of good advice given in here already . My biggest thing is it brings an inner peace you can't get any other way I've found . I've met life long friends on these trips just stopping for a water break on one occasion so it's a learning adventure in the right frame of mind . Like posted before take the less traveled roads do the interstates only if you have to and just be yourself when you stop somewhere . People will open up to a single friendly rider way before or if they will at all to a group and I've have some serious good times in small town America with bored locals . Go for it , all that can happen is a solo road trip .

Old 02-03-2011, 11:21 PM
mydnytryder
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simply...

Awesome!

Stick to the side roads. Anything two lane will open your eyes to what our country has to offer.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:53 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Well, I never did a long ride solo, but I once went to England by myself, just for the helluva it. Had a great time. I prefer riding solo on short trips & cruising, or with my GF.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:06 AM
Xube
Road Warrior

Have been all over the west solo- peaceful. More likely to meet people when you're alone. Backpacking teaches 'comfort lite'. I definitely agree with 1/2 the stuff and twice the money, and stay dry! Ever read Travels With Charlie by Steinbeck?

Old 02-04-2011, 01:12 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 240 Posts

Over the previous four years I would take the four days after Labor Day and do a solo ride on my FXDXT. It was kind of my "private" time to get away and not worry about work. As I was riding about 12 hours a day the phone was off and no email until the evening. Then this year I retired on September 3rd. Took of on September 7th for 11 days. Covered 4500 miles, eleven states, and four national parks. I've travelled all over the world on business and vacation but I have to say this was the most enjoyable trip I've ever been on. Just me, my bike and the road (only did about 400 miles total on the freeways when it was unavoidable). I posted about my ride in the trip section when I returned. If interested, you can see pictures here http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/f...-%2011%20Days/

I can't wait until next year. I plan on taking a long ride in May and another in September. Still toying with buying a Street Glide so I can have the cruise control and a little more comfort. Not interested in the radio though. I love the sound of the bike rolling down the road and through the twisties. When you're on your Harley, life is good

Old 02-04-2011, 02:32 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
I honor you sir, its good for my heart to see a man devote some of his life, to a dear friend who has devoted all of his to you, take good care of old fido, You'll get to take that ride some day, you'll never get a second chance to show that dog just how much He's meant to you all these years, God Bless
+1

Lost my best pal of 17 years a few years back and it really got to me more than I anticipated. After about a week of not being able to get him out of my mind in a sad way, I took off on my '96 FXSTC on a solo run that lasted about three weeks. It was a great healing experience. I do admit that I have not gotten over old Max, in fact I'm sorta tearing up right now thinking about him, but that long ride got me over the hump, I do believe.

Yeah, you'll get that good ride. But no ride will ever be as good as that dog.

Good luck and ride safe.

Last edited by txfxstrider; 02-04-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:04 AM
rkc2006
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking2000
Personally, I love it. I love the solitude of the trip being just me, my bike, and whatever road I'm on. I suppose it can be lonely for some, but I've never experianced that particular feeling on a long distance trip. I've always enjoyed seeing whatever scenery is new to me and when riding solo, my mind drifts to a place that is peaceful and relaxing. I've never had a radio or other distraction and I don't particularly want one because I thouroughly enjoy being alone with my thoughts and whatever the road I'm on puts in front of me. I've gone through horrible weather of all manner, and I loved it. I've slept in remote fields and loved it. I've been lost and loved it. I've been on lousy roads, and loved it. I've broken down in remote areas, and I loved that to. At the time, I may have cursed all those conditions, but looking back on it, my memories of those experiances are cherished and I wouldn't trade them for anything. I've also been on great roads, seen great sights, stayed at terrific places and have had mechanically trouble free journeys. On solo trips I've met some of the most wonderful people I've ever known and had some of the best times and created the greatest memories of my life.
RoadKing 2000 what a great way of expressing the feeling of riding solo. Your write up makes me want to start planning a long solo for myself.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:27 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking2000
Personally, I love it. I love the solitude of the trip being just me, my bike, and whatever road I'm on. I suppose it can be lonely for some, but I've never experianced that particular feeling on a long distance trip. I've always enjoyed seeing whatever scenery is new to me and when riding solo, my mind drifts to a place that is peaceful and relaxing. I've never had a radio or other distraction and I don't particularly want one because I thouroughly enjoy being alone with my thoughts and whatever the road I'm on puts in front of me. I've gone through horrible weather of all manner, and I loved it. I've slept in remote fields and loved it. I've been lost and loved it. I've been on lousy roads, and loved it. I've broken down in remote areas, and I loved that to. At the time, I may have cursed all those conditions, but looking back on it, my memories of those experiances are cherished and I wouldn't trade them for anything. I've also been on great roads, seen great sights, stayed at terrific places and have had mechanically trouble free journeys. On solo trips I've met some of the most wonderful people I've ever known and had some of the best times and created the greatest memories of my life.
That's awesome. My boss said that I could take 3 weeks in August if I really wanted to take that trip. My only problem would be do I have the money. Daughter lives in LA, so thought about taking 40 out there then go through Vegas and on up to Sturgis then back down to visit a friend in St. Louis before heading back to VA. Always thought that whatever happened, would not really matter because this would be the fullfillment of a lifelong goal. Pretty much hit all the other things on my bucket list. So what if you break down, get arrested, get killed .. good times!

Old 02-04-2011, 11:53 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Roadking2000, great post. That pretty much sums it up.

I took a month long solo ride last October. Rode from Jersey down the east coast to Florida. Hit Bikeweek, Roscoes and visited a lot of friends along the way. Taking a month off you have a lot of time on your hands. I didn't feel "rushed" to do anything. Going solo, you eat, stay, stop, and do whatever YOU want. It's nice not having anyone elses input affect your decision. I talked to countless people along the way, I never felt lonely. It's fun to swap stories with people you meet.

I can't wait to do it again. And the only advise I would add is, Whatever dollar figure you have in you head for travel money, take double that amount.

Quick Reply: Long solo rides -- what's it like?