General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long solo rides -- what's it like?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Advrider.com is a great way to make a slow day go by a little faster.

I think my favorite thread is by the guy who has traveled around the world on an old Indian, and I think most recently a panhead chopper.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462017

I have lots of plans for solo trips, but never seem to find the time. There's always some family events taking up all my holiday time. I'd love to follow the route Robert Pirsig took in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance someday.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have clocked about 40,000 miles solo, tihs was done on my last four bikes. I only have 1000 On my 2010 limited. I live outside of the US for most of the year, so when I come home I try to get some dudes to go on a trip with me, the few people I know that are still around and single just dont have the time. I get a month and a half of in the summer. so needless to say, becuase I dont have many friends that ride and have time, I usaully go it alone. Loved to ride with my old man, he is hard core good time, but he cant seem to do it any longer, so alone again.

my first real solo ride was on a suzuki 750 intruder packed and stacked with gear. No tunes, now winshield just a entry level crusier. it was years ago but still loved that ride from Boston to Cape Brenton to North Carolina, back to Bsoton. Took me two weeks not including down time. I took my time, but rode the interstates, did not really understand the whole touring thing at the time, moved up the following year with a yamaha star clssic 1400 v-4 that I got and did a few years on that with my old man on his goldy, he needed to stop alot, old navy diving injuries and his bones need to move around. Then moved up to a goldwing 1800 all the goodies for touring. Stayed off the inter for most of the time but when I felt like making up time I would head for the interstate.

Can say that I love riding alone, with or with out tunes, it gives me focus on what I need to do for work, my self, I think about how I have treated people, how they have treated me, it provides me with a balance. I can not imagine my self not being able to ride in the summmer. Frankly, I just might go postal if I could not, Solo riding anywhere is freedom of mind, freedom to go and do as you please, when you please and the whole time you get to clear out, comtmeplate and mull over the life you have been living The best part is you get to do all that while riding your bike. Not sitting in some pretentious a-holes couch asking.. How do feel about that.

Just bought my FLHTK limited ( Mother ****ing Love this bike) before I had to return to Colombia. I do nothing but plan my mods, check webistes for prices, plan routes and think about my bike. C'mon SUMMER is the olny thing I can say at this point.

Here is my trip for the summer so far Bi-ways for the most part. starting June 23rd

Boston to cornwall Canada
Cornwall to Bancroft canada, Lake Baptiste.
Bancroft Canada to New York
New York to Wisconsin (want to see the HD Museum)
Wisconsin to new Orleans.

I am up to get a new job in Mexico in Torreon four hours from Houston. if that happens I move on to texas then Torreon, if not, New Orleans back to Boston. NO more Colomnbia (after 12 years)

With out Mexico I am thinking about 2- 21/2 3weeks easy.
I'm really hoping for the job in mexico so I can ride there!!!

Old 02-03-2011, 04:41 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Soothing
getting the voices to quiet down

Old 02-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gone coast-to-coast and back again 2 times and a bunch of other long rides, always by myself. I always took my 2 weeks vacation with a bike trip, so a couple of times I went over 6,000 miles in less than 2 weeks. I used motels every night.

Go out to see the redwoods at Yosemite or the Grand Canyon. I might do it again now that I have a big touring bike once more.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:58 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,520 Posts

On my 'to do' list...

Easy Rider Route from the Movie

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd....542484,28.125

Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 PM
mes
Tourer

Originally Posted by dan conner
when your dog passes...that will be the time for that trip. i imagine he has been a good friend and companion for many years-now it is your turn to take care of him. having pets is a big responsibility and a great reward. god bless.
take a picture of your best friend with you and you won't be alone

Old 02-03-2011, 05:44 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Ride a lot solo myself... last solo trip was PA to FL and back 3500 miles in 10 days, no radio, no gps.. sound of the bike, pipes and road does it all for me. No real worries about stoppin on others schedules. Ridin with a few is also good, get the best of both...

Old 02-03-2011, 05:58 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

Cannot say any more that has not been said. Just retired two yrs ago, wife still works, she has been after me to take a long trip. Thinking seriously of a trip to Sturgis, just to say I have been there. But the ride out and back will be the highlight of the trip. I may stop off at a few camp grounds, but more than likely will use reputable motels.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

I take one or two long solo trips a year. I enjoy the solidarity and the freedom to stop when and where I want. I also like to wing it as far as route planning and motels. A GPS helps. Last summer I took an 1,800 mile circle tour around the great lakes. I had a good time and met lots of nice people. I recall the guy I spoke with in Canadian customs found it unusual that I was traveling alone so far from home.

Contrary to what some have said, you can tour on any bike. I once rode a 500cc Yamaha from Chicago to Los Angeles. Big touring bikes make a trip more comfortable, but the don't make it an adventure. That's up to you.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:25 PM
cihjr1408
Intermediate

I ride solo all the time and have logged many miles that way. I thnk it's relaxing until I have to hit the intersate.

Quick Reply: Long solo rides -- what's it like?