General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long solo rides -- what's it like?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 12:46 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a road glide. I rigged up an xm satellite radio on it. I have highway pegs I installed a drivers backrest. I can ride and ride and ride. Only stopping for gas. I really like it. I did a long multi day trip solo last year. I went down and visited sturgis during the ralley.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:49 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll try a test run up to Oregon or even over to the northcoast sometime soon. Problem for me is the dog is 15 and on his last legs. I cannot get a babysitter for him. But things will pass and in the meantime I can take a day trip up to Lake Tahoe or something. But to wake up a 1000 miles from home with your Harley parked out front -- man that must be something!

Old 02-03-2011, 01:03 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when your dog passes...that will be the time for that trip. i imagine he has been a good friend and companion for many years-now it is your turn to take care of him. having pets is a big responsibility and a great reward. god bless.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:05 PM
JBA111
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first time cross country was solo back in 72 on a 1960 Sportster. It took 17days. Course I went north and south several times and even went backwards once a few hundred miles to ride a chick back to her home town.
Carried an army duffle bag strapped to the sissybar. no tent, no sleepin bag, just a hammoc an a couple bedrolls, some clothes, a fryin pan an pot and an old metal tool box used as a cooler.
slept out under the stars most nights. sometimes under some shelter or in a barn or meet some folks and theyd put me up for the night. wash in streams, lakes, rivers an ponds. eatin was usually something heated up and a slingshot put several rabbits in the fryin pan. I grew up campin in these TN mountains so livein outdoors was nothin new. and had a small tarp and a couple magizinesor paperbook book for the rainny days.
Rode rides like this a couple dozen times atleast, then in the late 90s I got into the big ElectraGlides and started to spend more an more nights in hotels on long rides like these.
spent the summer of 78 and 79 on the road. rode till I needed money found some carpenter work and worked for a few days and then road on. an in 82 spent the winter in floridaand the winter of 84in Texas bikein on the road.
lots of these rides were solo, alot with my wife, many with rider friends. But as Ive rolled up the miles Im still solo alot, but seldom alone. nowafter decades of ridein and near 60yrsold, sometimes I think I still ride rides like these to visit ol friends, even thou they may be ghosts of ol friends that something or someplace pops em back in yur mind. So between the ol friends and the new ones I meet on every long ride Im seldom alone for long.
Hell take off, if ya got to turn arround so what. before ya go kinda have an ideal what you would like to see. forget the schedule, just pick a general direction often picked by the oposite direction from rain clouds and just enjoy the ride, enjoy the country, enjoy the folks whose path you cross, enjoy just being on the road ridein.
Im back on a Superglide alot morenowadays. I dont ride the long miles a day I use to an the stripped bike just gets me out there more it feels like. I can get it in alot more out of the way places than the Ultra too. Thou I still like to roll the big baby on trips too. the same but different ya know.
anyways take the ride, if you got a ridein buddy, cool, if not go anyways.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:12 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,520 Posts

All mine have been solo. As far east as Kali to Kentucky. And with the exception of getting out of the Bay Area, I use secondary roads. Then you get to "see" America. Planning a trip to Virginia this year. Taking a route through the mid-west and coming back through the south.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:23 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I ride back and forth to places in the east by myself on a yearly basis, and I have ridden some other long distance around the midwest as well. I enjoy it just being the bike and me. Go as far as I want, stop when I want, eat where it pleases me, and see what I want to see. It's great taking big trips with others, but a solitude trip once in a while is good for the soul.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:30 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

I do a lot of long distance solo rides. Sturgis every year. A Crossbones and a Night Train make great long distance bikes except for weather protection.

Solo touring is a great experience. Besides the selfish pleasures of going, stopping, eating, etc. only when you want to, you really get an opportunity to explore the inside of your own head.

For me it is a pure joy to change plans on a minutes notice and stop for the night, or push on another hundred miles. To eat tacos three meals in a row, and any number of other things traveling with your wife or friends make difficult.

A FXST or Night Train with a detachable sissy bar,one of those $50 leather packs that slides over the sissy bar, throw-over saddlebags and a luggage rack on the rear fender can carry everything you'll need for a week or two or longer on the road. I tend to put my clothes and gear in the sissy bar pack, my tent and sleeping bag on the luggage rack, and rain suit and bike requirements in the saddlebags.

Make sure you have a reliable way to fix a flat tire that you know how to use. I have a windshield on my Bones and I've gotta say it's nice if you're covering ground, or your un into bugs or weather.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:37 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C O L E M A N F U
You aint the only one. I dream like that as well - most the time it's when there is some type of work related stress and just want to get away. Check out advrider.com for some great info.http://www.advrider.com/
+1 on ADVRider. Talk about some adventurers and hard-core bikers! Ever since I picked up a BMW R1200 GS, I lurk around there a lot - esp in the Ride Report forum. If you have the slightest fantasies about taking off and riding...you'll get plenty of fuel for your fire there.

As far as solo...plenty of folks that enjoy it, and plenty of those who find it too solitary (like myself)...you're probably the only one who knows which group you'd likely fall into.

Hate to hear about your dog...been there before...it's a stressful time to be sure...

Old 02-03-2011, 04:08 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,989 Likes on 4,981 Posts

I honor you sir, its good for my heart to see a man devote some of his life, to a dear friend who has devoted all of his to you, take good care of old fido, You'll get to take that ride some day, you'll never get a second chance to show that dog just how much He's meant to you all these years, God Bless

Old 02-03-2011, 04:13 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by bjewell
Because of my old dog, I cannot get away from home for a while, and I've always wanted to take that "big" ride across the country. Riding an FXST, I know I'm gonna have to be creative as far as packing stuff.

But during the day when my mind wanders from work, I often wonder what's it must be like to ride solo a few thousand miles across parts of America or Canada where you have never been before. No radio, maybe a windshield, some stuff strapped on the sissy bar, just riding along.

If any of you have something to say about that, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Tq
I have done a couple of lengthy solo rides, but I'd much rather ride with a buddy. Sitting on the bike by myself for hour after hour gets old.

Now with satellite radio etc., I might be up for trying some again.

Quick Reply: Long solo rides -- what's it like?