General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choppers & HD ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choppers & HD ?

Got to wondering (lot of times on my hands up here in the great white), HD being the so called original and in "the biz" for so long, why is it they don't have a raked chopper in their production lineup?
Seems it would sell as well or better than various other models they have offered up over the years, not to mention the Big Dogs, Ironhorse, etc....
So what gives?

I roll with a bud who owns a K-9 Big Dog, something like 9ft long and real nice rolling scoot, a real crowd pleaser/head turner.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:41 AM
robbieaz62
Cruiser

I would assume it's because that's a fairly limited market. Most people that are going to buy just one bike are not going to buy a chopper as that bike. And HD needs to know they can sell enough units for it to be profitable.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:47 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain

But, there are a ton of custom and OEM choppers from other brands out there. Doesn't seem that limited of a market to me. I suspect if HD made a real nice chopper, it would outsell the heck out of Crossbones, VRods, trikes and others....

Old 02-03-2011, 07:52 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well the wide glide has a chopper look with a raked out front end. i would assume for a company like HD that's as radical as you're going to get. they have liabilities to worry about and i agree it's a limited market. so even if they were to sell as many choppers as OCC or big dog does it's probably still not enough to not have the line canceled.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain

Guess i still don't get it. Nearly any bike gathering of semi decent size I've ever been to, has numerous raked out chops and yet there are a couple HD offerings I've yet to even see one of.
So the limited market theory struggles to hold weight.
Heck, I've seen more choppers with HD engines placed into them than i have seen Crossbones and VRods.
I never considered the glide or any bike HD has in their line up as a "Chopper". I'm talking something really raked out.

Edited: Come to think of it, i see more choppers than i do Fatboys even.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:01 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

I'm sure the lawyers are involved somewhere.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:11 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

If they did, the buyers would de-rake them to make them differn't. That's what most HD owners want, there bikes to NOT be stock. IMO whatever HD does the trends will be the opposite. Take the Rocker, HD tried to get into the fat tire look and it pretty much flopped, not alot of those around.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Ockam
Tourer

The Deuce and the Rocker are as close to mass market choppers as you are going to get.

The front rake can cause instability at low speeds, so you won't see a major manufacturer opening themselves to liability by disregarding safety standards for control and stability in braking an maneuvering.

Choppers are all about form. Vehicle companies must marry form and function to meet motor vehicle regulations in all markets.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:15 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I think the Rocker was Harley's chopper attempt.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Bike-R-Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see Tazzrider's point . If Big Dog can make money selling just choppers then how could Harley not make money buy simply adding a chopper to it's lineup . After all , as said earlier , most choppers are built around a Harley or Harley copy motor . Wouldn't be a huge investment , they already have the motors , the custom flame paint jobs and nice softail frames . Just rake them out , put longer forks and chopper style fenders and you're pretty much there , no ?

Quick Reply: Choppers & HD ?