General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This Is a Dealer that tunes with the SERT

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Josey Wales
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This Is a Dealer that tunes with the SERT

I e-mailed him about tuning my bike and asked him various questions, Does he sound like he has a good knowledge/ability with the SERT. I think maybe I will wait until after november when he learns more about the 07. What do you guy's think?

heres the response I got:
what the PCIII does is lie to your bikes running system. It’s like putting a second E.C.M. on the bike. It also knocks the bike out of factory warranty (we will not install them here!), and it can fail causing the bike to either run bad or not at all. I have been specially trained at MMGManagement (www.mmgmanagement.com) for SERT software and Direct-Link software for E.F.I. tuning. I have tuned well over 150 bikes with great results. Yes the bike has to be put on the dyno, but you can’t tune it without. The A.F.R. (air-fuel ratio) readout is detrimental to tuning. I haven’t seen a bike have problems from being on a dyno either. Tuning time is usually up to 3 hours. I set the idle, open throttle, and mid-load A.F.R. also if there is decell pop I can eliminate 98% of it. The ’07 model Harley have a closed loop system which I am going back to school in Nov. to learn to tune. Hope I answered some of your questions.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: This Is a Dealer that tunes with the SERT

[sm=smiley21.gif]

If there would be a problem with the PC just unplug it, comes with a 1 year warranty, buy it from fuelmotousa and get 2 years. Cheapest place anyway, and free maps for life.
Unless your going to go racing just get a PCIII and a map to match your bike. I just put one on my 07 and am extremely happy with the performance improvement.

Not a warranty issue, it can be completely removed with no traces left behind in about 5 minutes.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:39 PM
redscout
Road Captain

I think what the guy was saying is that if you add equipment and tune using the PCIII and then the PCIII goes south, it ain't gonna run right with it removed. That would take it back to the stock map (or whatever map resides in your ECM when you installed the PCIII) which would probably be crappy with open pipes and open breather and whatever else you did.

It would probably get you home, though.

I have no idea what the reliability of the PCIII is or how often they fail, so I don't know if that's a real concern or not.

I have the SERT anyway....

Old 10-05-2006, 04:58 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What he failed to tell you, is that installing the sert on a 07 can void warranty if they decide to, its in the NEW warnings harley released it says ANY MODIFICATION WILL VOID WARRANTY, I read it, they are clear on their meaning, also he did not tell you ALL sert maps for the 07 are required by the EPA to be compliant, that means very little power gains will be had. PCIII beats it hands down, as you are not running back to the dealer for a retune at your expence, you can reset the pcIII with your laptop. Oh and you save about 500.00 bucks too. As to pcIII falure, never heard of a single one
ORIGINAL: redscout

I think what the guy was saying is that if you add equipment and tune using the PCIII and then the PCIII goes south, it ain't gonna run right with it removed. That would take it back to the stock map (or whatever map resides in your ECM when you installed the PCIII) which would probably be crappy with open pipes and open breather and whatever else you did.

It would probably get you home, though.

I have no idea what the reliability of the PCIII is or how often they fail, so I don't know if that's a real concern or not.

I have the SERT anyway....

Old 10-05-2006, 04:59 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Properly tuned, both PCIII and SERT will be tuned across 100% of throttle position range ~ not just "idle, open throttle, and mid-load".

I have had very good luck with PCIII's on many bikes. In fact, I've never had a problem with them. If a PCIII were to fail, all you have to do is unplug it and ride on home or where ever. If it's under warranty, get it replaced. If not buy a new one & put your map back on it. But, like I said... I have never had any issues with them.

If you get a quality tuner for either product, you will be happy with the results.

For what it's worth, I agree with what Akitakoi said...

Old 10-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: PhilM

For what it's worth, I agree with what Akitakoi said...
Phil's a good guy, even if he does live in TX.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Josey Wales
Cruiser

I am pretty much sold on the SERT and according to Shovelhead bob it does mess with your ECM and The PCIII uses O2 eliminators which I do not want to use because I ordered the new vance & hines with the O2 bungs and the other reason is Harley put them there and they must serve some purpose (I don't care about EPA and Open or closed loop hub bub) but they must do something and I want to keep it like it came! No screwing around with add on crap! I want it dialed in perfect not somewhat! The dealer said the PCIII would void warranty not the Dealer installed SERT and they would warranty it for the life of the bike!
My main thing was if that the Tuner soundd like he knew what he was talking about with the race tuner program as not a lot of people know what they are doing with the SERT.

Thanks for all your advice, keep it coming!