General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some strong sound advise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 02:43 AM
tbenson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
So what's the plan after the smoke clears? You gonna get another Harley or maybe something else? Victory? Honda? Sportster?
I have two other motorcycles already, I am not sure if I will get another one for a while.

I would like to thank everyone for their great advice, recommendations, and civil responses, this will help me with making my decision...The truth be known, I am afraid of losing my *** in a lawsuit, regardless of the strength of my case against Harley Davidson.

Just for an example of my case, one of the Lemon Law definitions my bike falls under is, the bike was at the dealership for repair totaling over 4 months of time in 8 separate visits, some for multiple issues, in less than a years time, and that is just one of the definitions my bike falls under...

Again, Thank you to all!!!

Old 02-03-2011, 05:42 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tbenson
Thanks for the advise, Harley Davidson is in fact playing hardball, they will not consider taking the bike back at all, they want me to keep the bike and pay me a very small settlement.

Again...HD absolutely refuses to take the motorcycle back at this point, they will not even discuss this as an option...HD even at one point mentioned they would trade me my bike for one of their used models from one of their dealers as a replacement.

Harley Davidson has been very unprofessional and unreasonable in this whole mess...For all of the "nay sayers" out there, if you knew how cooperative and lenient I have been in this whole situation, you would probably want to smack me to wake me up!
I know the attorney thinks I am being way to easy on HD for the strength of my case against them...The attorney thinks a lawsuit is definitely in order, I on the other hand would like to avoid a lawsuit at all costs, and would like to settle outside of court.
Since you don't say what the problem was, there's no way to know if you are right. It could be that there was some manufacturing defect in the engine or whatever and that would be pretty serious. On the other hand, it could be that they told you the paint was black pearl and when you went out in the sun it looked gray and now you want to give the bike back and buy a moped. How can we tell what's reasonable with no facts?

It's a motorcycle, so I have a hard time seeing how any defective part means they end to take the whole bike back - if the engine is bad, make them put in a new one, transmission? New one. So what? So when you insist that they take back the bike, the first thing I think of is "buyer's remorse" and this guy doesn't want a motorcycle.

Anyhow, go with your lawyer's advice, not internet advice.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:56 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have had very serious issues with my bike and the MoCo fixed them all several years beyond warranty so I am surprised to hear your story. But I do have a rule about using lawyers: I never threaten to sue anyone. If I hire an attorney...I sue the person...period. Then, I let the attorney settle the whole issue and stay out of it 100%. I usually attempt to settle things on a handshake once maybe twice. But if the other party resists, then I just let the attorney finish it.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:07 PM
tbenson
Cruiser

Originally Posted by brenn
Since you don't say what the problem was, there's no way to know if you are right. It could be that there was some manufacturing defect in the engine or whatever and that would be pretty serious. On the other hand, it could be that they told you the paint was black pearl and when you went out in the sun it looked gray and now you want to give the bike back and buy a moped. How can we tell what's reasonable with no facts?

It's a motorcycle, so I have a hard time seeing how any defective part means they end to take the whole bike back - if the engine is bad, make them put in a new one, transmission? New one. So what? So when you insist that they take back the bike, the first thing I think of is "buyer's remorse" and this guy doesn't want a motorcycle.

Anyhow, go with your lawyer's advice, not internet advice.
As posted in #21, I own other motorcycles, no buyers remorse here, I ride and use all of my motorcycles, if I did not, I would not buy it...My bikes do not sit in the garage for a show piece or a conversation starter, they are all ridden, of course at different times...LOL...If it is not reliable, dependable, or usable, I have no need for it, and this is what this motorcycle has become...

All of the issues were/are mechanical issues...I would be more than happy to give all of the facts, documents, emails etc. etc., but that would be suicide for my case...Many have shared great advice without all of the information you seek, I guess they just assumed I was legitimate with my claim, which I am...If my case was not legitimate Harley Davidson would not even be negotiating with me right now, they would simply be ignoring the attorney and myself, even if a Lemon Law is filed, they can ignore it until it goes to a lawsuit, a lawsuit has not been filed, and they have been negotiating since August 2010, so there is obviously a legitimate claim and/or case that has been filed.

I agree with most of what you said, but unfortunately I can not disclose all of the information...On another note, I am not making any decision solely off of internet advice, that is just ridiculous, but it is nice to hear what others have to say, not all internet advice is bad, you just have to be able to cypher through it and discard the nonsense.

Considering the circumstances, this was probably the best place for me to ask for opinions good or bad!

Thank you!

Old 02-03-2011, 12:15 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tbenson
Has any of you dealt with Harley Davidson with a "Lemon Law"?

Not looking for an argument, I seriously need some quick advice!

My bike has unfortunately fallen under several guidelines of the "Ohio Lemon Law", negotiations are in order, and Harley Davidson will not negotiate in a reasonable manner, even though they have admitted their fault in a contractual agreement.

I do not want to file a lawsuit but Harley Davidson continues to be absolutely ridiculous in their negotiations.

What have some of you done, collected a small amount in a settlement, or went ahead with the filing of a lawsuit...If you do not mind disclosing and/or sharing the outcome of your settlement or lawsuit, please post up...

I apologize for the brief description, but I need to maintain the details of the case, I do not want anything posted by me that will hurt my case, it has been nothing but a headache already...

I appreciate all of your help!

I have not had to deal with HD, but I just had to deal with Kia on a lemon car here in Ohio. I did contact an attorney 1-800 Lemonlaw and they were nice and said they would take my case and I would not have to pay, but then when I said I might want then to take the case they wanted to send me a fee agremant so I was like um let me think about that. I ended up working with Kia direct and worked out a nice deal to get out of my lemon car and in to a 2 year newer car that I really wanted. Just remember just because you have had alot of issues does not mean it will count as a lemon. my car had engines get a knock and have to be replacd within 8k miles and was out of service for over 30 in less than one year.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:21 PM
tbenson
Cruiser

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
I have had very serious issues with my bike and the MoCo fixed them all several years beyond warranty so I am surprised to hear your story. But I do have a rule about using lawyers: I never threaten to sue anyone. If I hire an attorney...I sue the person...period. Then, I let the attorney settle the whole issue and stay out of it 100%. I usually attempt to settle things on a handshake once maybe twice. But if the other party resists, then I just let the attorney finish it.
Unfortunately many things are changing within Harley Davidson, along with all or many well respected manufacturers, what was done in the past is rapidly changing for the worst for the consumer side...Not bashing, just stating my personal experiences.

I tried to settle with them before an attorney was brought in, they would not even speak to me, so I got an attorney, no threats were made prior to the filing, every attempt at a handshake resolution was made (Dealer and MOCO), and they declined...

Old 02-03-2011, 12:36 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

you hired an attorney for a reason, take his advice.

as was said before, most attorneys aren't going to put themselves out there for suits they don't think they can win.

your attempt at handling things like a man hasn't gotten through to them, wake their asses up and slap a fat lawsuit on them.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:08 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I am Harley all the way.I will not buy another new bike from anyone.Older is cheaper ,more fun ,less headaches,screw them all and their warranty!

Old 02-03-2011, 05:52 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHoss
I am Harley all the way.I will not buy another new bike from anyone.Older is cheaper ,more fun ,less headaches,screw them all and their warranty!
That's a shame as there's soo many nice bikes out there made by other brands. Life is too short to ride only one brand.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:41 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Why even say anything in here,,, U only venting anyway..

Once U get a lawyer involved Ur totally under his guidance not the members in here.

Quick Reply: Need some strong sound advise!!!