General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are black bikes that bad to keep looking clean?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:25 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

harleys are supposed to be black. that way you cannot see the oil and grease all over everything. the dealer washes mine when it is in for the 5k services---3 or 4 times a year. i will wash the windshield if it is covered in bug guts...course i let the dirty water drip down on the fairing and the front end. if you have the time to wash and wax a bike-you should be out riding around some where.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:28 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I only buy black bikes. Ride them all over the country then wash them at the end of the season. They look great.

No swirls. I use Pledge.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:32 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I don't care if it does, I don't like any other color. So I don't notice it.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Lindsey141
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
If you've ever had a black car, keeping your bike looking nice will be no problem.
my thought exactly

Old 02-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of extra effort. Moreso than any other color I've had.

But sure has a nice look if you go thru the efforts.
Nothing like a real 'deep' look on a black paintset.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:37 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

not hard at all, but then again i enjoy detailing.

my method...

beginning of every season and once mid-season i do a full wash and use a clay bar on the tins, then put two nice coats of wax on the paint

about once a month (usually wait for a rainy day so i don't miss any riding time) i pull the bike into the garage, jack it up, and detail it front to back top to bottom. spray detailer to remove dust, then meguiars swirl x to take out fine scratches, then two coats of meguiars tech wax. i also clean my spokes and get into all the nooks and crannies on these detailings.

pre and post ride i wipe down the tins with a good spray detailer and a microfiber towel (takes all of 5 minutes to do)

it may seem like alot but it isn't. sure the once a month detailing jobs take a whole afternoon, but like i said i usually take advantage of a rainy day to sit in the garage with a dozen or so of my favorite beer and go over the bike. this time is also spent checking bolts and **** like that. i ride my bike almost every day from march-november so the folks that say why polish when you can ride are wrong, i don't miss riding time to clean my bike, it's just that when i do ride, i like to ride a clean machine.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Do they actually paint "Real Harley's" any color other than black? I'm confused . . .

IMHO absolutely nothing looks better than Black and Chrome on a sunny day. . . and we've got a few of them here in So. Cal.

Also; Detailing the bike is just a part of my Therapy . . . and I like my Therapy sessions . . . every last mile and wax encrusted rag included.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:50 PM
SouthernGuy8503
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well to be honest I'd rather clean black paint than chrome any day. My truck isn't black but I have a chrome Weston wheel-to-wheel step bars on it, I've never polished it and I wish I got it in black.

I don't mind washing but I can't stand polishing. I don't think I'll ever have another chrome piece on a truck I own.

When I do get a Harley I'm hoping to find a black one and I'll probably black it out with a little bit of chrome for contrast.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:00 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernGuy8503
Well to be honest I'd rather clean black paint than chrome any day. My truck isn't black but I have a chrome Weston wheel-to-wheel step bars on it, I've never polished it and I wish I got it in black.

I don't mind washing but I can't stand polishing. I don't think I'll ever have another chrome piece on a truck I own.

When I do get a Harley I'm hoping to find a black one and I'll probably black it out with a little bit of chrome for contrast.
chrome is so easy to clean it's ridiculous.

it's not porous like aluminum, so there's no real need to "polish"

just wipe it down, it's plated to be shiny.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To be blunt....kinda.

My SG is the first black bike I've owned, and it shows any/every bit of dirt a lot more than the red and green bikes I've had in the past, as well as my wife's blue one.

Quick Reply: Are black bikes that bad to keep looking clean?