General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying first Harley in LA *excited*, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:39 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by harlot
hi guys,
thanks so much!

I'm paying 4.7k for the bike.
For that price, I'd go buy a used one that is just like it came from the factory, with low miles, and then add the mods I wanted. Used 883's are cheap and modifications should lower the value instead of raise it, in most cases.

With a bike modified by somebody else you are taking a big risk. It may look cool, but having it keep running so you can ride is cooler.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,342 Likes on 1,518 Posts

Originally Posted by harlot
hi guys,
thanks so much!

I'm paying 4.7k for the bike.

It also comes with a hypercharger on top of the mentioned mods. Thing with the mods, I actually LOVE it! hahaha.

Is there someway to determine if the mods are street legal? What other considerations will I have to think about with the mods? You guys seem to be warning me about buying a bike with too many.

Also, if the seller is still paying a loan, will this be an issue when I buy the bike? I dont want to be taking over their loan. HAHA.

True though, about regulations, I wont be able to post pics now as the bike is not yet mine and im not sure if the seller would mind me posting. Maybe I will ask when I head back on thursday to test ride it.

One thing though, when I went to see it, the seller tried starting it up but the bike would not, he said it was a battery issue. Is this something I need to be worried about?
Couple of questions...what is a "hypercharger"?

05 sporty and he is "still" paying on the loan?

You go to see it "start" and it will not and seller "claims" it is a battery issue?

Does the vin on the motor match the vine on the frame, a requirement in Kali or it ends up as a special construction project?

Do you have a motorcycle endorsement on your license? You ride it without one up here in Nor-Cal and get stopped by the police, you get a tag and the bike gets impounded.

This is not the type of "first" bike you should be considering (mentioned before I know but needs to be said again!)

This has the makings of a good "train wreck". You need to walk away from this one.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Mathews
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you by this bike, you are nuuuuuuuuuuuts. Dont do it. If you do, I want to know how it works out for you. Please keep us posted.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:58 AM
KeeBee
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the owner still paying for a loan on the bike you can't get the title to the bike until he pays it off with your money. Basically you can't get the title from him until the bank gives it to him after he pays it off.

Some banks will give the title to the owner if he goes to the main branch that holds the titles. Or his bank could give him a letter releasing the lien on the bike which you can take to the DMV with a bill of sale.

More and more this bike sounds like it is not the one for you.

I would go to a Harley dealer and get a used bike through them. This bike is screaming a headache is coming along with the bike.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:07 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Run Forest run !

Old 02-01-2011, 11:13 AM
harlot
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

eeeee! lol.

ok im not sure if he's paying a loan, just checking on the "what ifs" regarding tis issue.

as for the hypercharger, seller said that it makes the bike have more power, becoming like a 1200cc.

I do have an endorsement, just did my MSF course and should get the endorsement, which I will bring to the DMV to get my license asap

I've been on LA Craighslist for a while, and dont see that many 883s going for cheap. I was actually thinking this was a good deal, but I'm so happy I decided to run this by you guys before splashing out the cash!

the dealers I've visited, fullerton, glendale, laidlaw's and van nuys all charge an average of over 5k for a used bike. quite over my budget for a fully stock bike :S

but i guess this one has a whole list of potential headaches. arghhhhhh! HAHA.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:13 AM
harlot
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

oh btw, it's got bout 4k milege.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:17 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Look at cycle trader.com or eBay.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:25 AM
freak
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't live there, but from what I hear Cal. is a nightmare when it comes to emissions, so I would think twice about buying a modified bike......

Don't care for the guys explanation of a hypercharger either. Every hypercharger I've had, boils down to a free flow air filter, that looks like a blower intake on a car. Does NOTHING for the displacement of the engine.

I would keep looking if I were you, there are always great $ deals on sportys.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:27 AM
softail04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

living here in so cal you can ignore most of the people that say it is to much money. we ride year round here so prices are higher.
go see the bike take it for a ride if all is good .. take a friend that knows bikes along , ask for local help and it should be ok

Quick Reply: buying first Harley in LA *excited*, need some advice