Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudest slip on exhuast??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:05 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Zac Strayer
I'm actually shocked at all the people that use slip ons.
After reading and looking around and learning more about pipes for bikes "no offence to anyone" but i feel like slip ons are a cheap way to go and that would be the last thing i would do with my Harley.

I would rather wait and save the loot and get full exhaust and get both sound and more horsepower.

Am i wrong for feeling this way?
Yeah.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:05 AM
robbieaz62
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had V & H Straight Shot slip ons on my Dyna. With the standard baffles they are loud enough and, more importantly, sounded good. You can also get quiet baffles for them that still sound good but aren't quite as loud. Now I need to find some for my 103 RKC ...

Old 02-03-2011, 09:31 AM
crush63
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

After reading and looking around and learning more about pipes for bikes "no offence to anyone" but i feel like slip ons are a cheap way to go and that would be the last thing i would do with my Harley.

I would rather wait and save the loot and get full exhaust and get both sound and more horsepower.

Right or wrong not everyone has the cash for a full system. Slip-ons are a good option to boost sound/power if you don't have CATs in the headpipes. I know 2010 and newer softails have them but I don't know if they're inside the mufflers or headpipes? No doubt a full system is a better option but most need a dyno tune to make the most of them. 2-1 systems are the best way to go if you like the look; many don't. Problem with many 2-2 full systems is that they're too short, too long or too fat to make good power at the RPM range most ride at (2500-4500) and won't make a difference over a good set of slip-ons. Yep I've seen dyno sheets showing great peak numbers for 2-2 full systems but you can get good peak numbers from a cheapo set of drag pipes too. Lots of options, lots of opinions.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:05 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes, I think you are wrong.

Disregarding the newest versions with the cats (which I have no experience with), Harley stock exhaust headers are more efficient than most after market exhausts except for a few two into one systems. Slip on mufflers generally are used because they are more free flowing, look better to the person buying them, or sound better to that person.

The stock mufflers are restrictive but the stock headers which are a form of two into one are better for torque than true duals are and very good for power once the the muffling part is opened up.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:14 PM
07 dyna man
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cycle shack slipons are pretty loud http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M8M1...yer_detailpage

Old 02-03-2011, 07:57 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 07 dyna man
cycle shack slipons are pretty loud http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M8M1...yer_detailpage

that bitch got some lope to her....nice.

I'm likin that. what else?

Old 02-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts

Those are some loud slipp ons!!!

Old 02-04-2011, 07:29 AM
1bulldog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds Great Shore!!

Old 02-04-2011, 09:18 AM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,047 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
May not be the loudest, but I like my Screamin Eagles. The volume is controlled with your right wrist. Around town, and around residential areas...where you want to respect others and not be obnoxious and making all sorts of retarded "look at me" noises.....they are tame. Out in the country and open roads....roll on that throttle and they can bark.
What he said

Old 02-04-2011, 10:26 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My RINEHART SLIP-ONS are loud on my stock 96". Riders behind me like the sound. Quality of the chrome is very good.

Quick Reply: Loudest slip on exhuast??