General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting Down Windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:00 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 01-31-2011, 06:50 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeK02048
I'm pretty close to buying my first HD, a new Road King Classic. I'm 5'7" and the windscreen is too tall for me. I'd rather look over it than through it. I thought I'd have to buy a shorter windscreen but a salesman at the dealership said I can take it to a glass cutter and have it cut down to whatever size I choose.

Considering it's not really glass but Lexan, is this a good idea? Anyone do this?
Cutting them down is pretty common. I'm going to do it to the windshield on my wife's Sportster pretty soon - maybe next weekend.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:58 AM
skdvr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone here used an oscillating dremel saw to cut the lexan? I have read other places where people have used them to cut lexan, but I have not seen any on Motorcycle forums. Not sure how well it would work for cutting the curve?

Phil

Old 01-31-2011, 06:59 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,154 Likes on 1,794 Posts

There are plenty of aftermarket windshields out there also, that are lower in profile. My Spitfire screen is nice and low, I easily look over the top of it..the top of it comes to about my chest height. Even looking forward and down onto the road ahead of me, I'm still looking over the top of it. Yet..still large enough to take that pressure off your chest at highway speeds.

You can find them for well under a hundred bucks..and it's quick release..two large thumbscrews. I can put it on, or take it off..in under 20 seconds easily.

At under a hundred bucks...you might find it's cheaper than taking the factory one to someone to cut it down.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:26 AM
BIGSTEVEX3
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ide buy a secound one got a tall one for cold weather and a shorter one for warmer

Old 01-31-2011, 09:11 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 24,084 Likes on 5,310 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeK02048
I'm pretty close to buying my first HD, a new Road King Classic. I'm 5'7" and the windscreen is too tall for me. I'd rather look over it than through it. I thought I'd have to buy a shorter windscreen but a salesman at the dealership said I can take it to a glass cutter and have it cut down to whatever size I choose.

Considering it's not really glass but Lexan, is this a good idea? Anyone do this?
Congrats on the new bike! I've had a couple of windshields cut to different heights by a local business that manufactures plastic parts. Can't ever tell they were cut.

If I may make a suggestion, I would wait till you've ridden the bike a while before you cut the shield. Why? Because one of the first things people change on their Harleys is the seat, and each seat will "sit" you differently, requiring a different windshield height to be exactly right -- and at 5'7" you might end up looking for a "low" seat to make flat-footing the RK more comfortable.

I have one shield I use with my Mustang solo seat, which sits me higher, and another one for my Corbin, which sits me lower. You probably will not have several seats, but I would wait until you settle on one before you cut the shield as you might have to either cut again or buy another shield.