General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have a dilemma...Opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 07:56 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Have a dilemma...Opinions please

Buying a bike here soon. This will be my third Harley, sold my first two for various reasons. They were both twin cam 1450cc softails. I do a lot of 2-up riding with my wife and also have aspirations of some long cross-country trips in the future. I have narrowed down my bike choices and my dilemma is with the motor. I love the sound of the evo (1340), but wonder if that motor poses issues for 2-up cross country riding? The twin-cam (1450) I know from experience is smooth with sufficient power, however, there is an older model (evo) I'm leaning toward since I've always loved it's look and the lower price is appealing. In short, will I regret the evo in terms of power (2-up) and comfort for the trips? Also, any opinions on the 6 vs. 5-speed twin cam should I decide to go that route?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:04 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a FLHX with the 96 and 6 speed and want more power for 2 up riding.

I have found that the power of the 96 with some adds, AC, exhaust and ECM, really make a big difference for 1 up riding.. I am trying to get the same power riding 2 up.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Gully
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only have experience with the 1340 and a newer 96", no twin cam. Live both these models, but there is definitely a difference between them. Without knowing what you and your wife weigh together, it is hard to say which would be better between the two engines you have outlined. However, where I noticed the big difference was between the 5 and 6 speeds. The small lack of power I could deal with, but any long distance travel is a lot better with the extra gear. If you cannot get the newer 96", then I would try to get the 6 speed for sure.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:06 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on how big you are... me and my OL 435 lbs before bags... my friend and his OL 270 lbs before bags. That said, at the time the EVO was fine... now the TC w/5 speed is fine. Depends a lot on how you tune the engine and how you ride it.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member

With a cam upgrade,like a Andrews EV27, the evo will have plenty of power for 2-up riding.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior

I have a '96 with the 80" Evo (sig pic) and its mostly bone stock. We have been on many many trouble free rides up and down the eastern US from Ohio to Florida. Have never never had any issues with comfort or performance. We even pull a trailer from time to time. Why spend the money if ya dont have to.

Just my thoughts.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:23 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member

to me it realy depends on wht you are looking for , if you want a drag bike it an't gonna work , if you want a good dependable bike to go from point a - b should be fine , did not notice what modle you were talking about but I had a 96 Ultra with the 1340 evo and had no problems

Old 01-30-2011, 08:28 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
I do a lot of 2-up riding with my wife and also have aspirations of some long cross-country trips in the future.
From what i have read here a lot of shops(dealers) wont touch older bikes.
So what happens if your 1000 miles from home and your bike goes ka-put and you dont know how to work on it?

I think i would get a newer model touring bike.JMO.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
So what happens if your 1000 miles from home and your bike goes ka-put and you dont know how to work on it?

I think i would get a newer model touring bike.JMO.
I dont belive this. I have been to alot of dealers here and there getting parts,advice and service and have not had any problems yet. Only thing is.. They may not have the needed part in stock all the time. If your broke down on the road, Any dealed or Indy will do what they gotta do to get ya going again. Had a flat in the Smokies a couple years ago and was towed to Pigeon Forge. HD, While changing the tires, they found a couple issues. They took me into the service area and showed me what they found. The issues werent pressing or safety related and could wait untill I got home to fix. I call that top quality service!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:00 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me

I think I would get a newer model touring bike.JMO.
Guess I am trying to figure out why you would even consider using a dealership to have your evo fixed

Evos are probably the best buy for the money right now and with proper cam and gearing will do 2 up riding just fine for the average rider.

Quick Reply: Have a dilemma...Opinions please