General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OUCH!!! Plan B for lowering

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 08:21 PM
4merRacer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OUCH!!! Plan B for lowering

Well, I went to Race Tech suspension today. These guys are amazing at what they do with suspension. They did the 4mer sportbike and the dirtbike. Plus, they give 25% off parts AND labor for military. So, even with that discount, to put chrome adjustable shocks in the rear and lowering springs in the forks will cost about $900!!!! Granted, you get your money's worth from them as they are amazing with suspension but....OUCH!!!!

Old 10-04-2006, 10:21 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,785 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Default RE: OUCH!!! Plan B for lowering

That's a bit stiff....hold on to your ankles. Sounds like a bitt of profit in it for them. If you don't go with the top of the line Progressive 440's you should be able to do entire job for about half that.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:01 PM
4merRacer
Road Master

Actually, like I said, their stuff IS top of the line. They sponsor more racers than you can imagine. I was dragging the pegs on a sportbike after I had them build/set my suspension....and those pegs are high!! It's just the best stuff. Go to any race, dirt or street, and look around for their name. You'll see it on a HUGE number of bikes. The sportbike was just much cheaper by design so it didn't cost as much to build. And of course there's going to be profit. That's to be expected. I just hoped I could afford it. Oh, well.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:18 PM
blown alcohol
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Do they have a website?

Old 10-05-2006, 08:22 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they're not going to add the gold valves, don't bother.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:32 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,785 Likes on 1,269 Posts

ORIGINAL: 4merRacer

Actually, like I said, their stuff IS top of the line. They sponsor more racers than you can imagine. I was dragging the pegs on a sportbike after I had them build/set my suspension....and those pegs are high!! It's just the best stuff. Go to any race, dirt or street, and look around for their name. You'll see it on a HUGE number of bikes. The sportbike was just much cheaper by design so it didn't cost as much to build. And of course there's going to be profit. That's to be expected. I just hoped I could afford it. Oh, well.
It's your money.[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 10-05-2006, 10:32 PM
4merRacer
Road Master

ORIGINAL: jeepster09

ORIGINAL: 4merRacer

It's your money.[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Well, that's why I said I needed to go with a plan B. I won't spend that much. Basically, it would be like having the smoothest ride available without the trouble potential with air ride. For several hundred dollars, I can make up the comfort elsewhere, though....like in the seat.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:25 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's more than just comfort. Superior handeling will really save your butt when you really need it. When you have to make that emergency manouver and the bike just can't handle it, that's when trouble happens.

But, I'm with you. $900 is a lot of money. Here's what I'm doing/have done.

Some good rear shocks - Progressive 412's. Not fancy, but solid and reliable. $200. Time to install: about an hour.

Front end: here's where it gets tricky. Race Tech Gold Valves, springs, and SE oil. $275. The work is not complicated, but you need some tools and a lift to get it done. It takes most of the day to do if you havn't done it before. I think I'm going to tackle this job on Sat or Sun. I'v done this before - twice - and it's a fair amount of work. But the results will be worth it.