General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Service Contract

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extended Service Contract

ORIGINAL: ClassicRoadKing05

THIS MUST BE DONE WITHIN 30 DAYS OF TITLE TRANSFER
Great, I'm screwed now I guess. I didn't receive the contract, and since it took 29 days to get the bike (don't use Daly Direct) I didn't think to transfer the warranty until after I started riding it.

I am going to the dealer Saturday for some odds & ends and will check to see if I should bother with the paperwork.

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-05-2006, 11:38 PM
DavyDiesel
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

The same is true with the Harley ESA--if you can pay a major repair bill on your bike that occurs outside the warranty period, forget about the ESA. On the other hand, the ESA is useful if you really couldn't handle a $1,000 or higher repair bill for a mechanical failure.
What I don't see making any sense here is to pay an extra 2K (for the extended warrenty) for a motorcycle, PLUS finance that 2K for X number of years at XX percent just in case something MAY happen that might cost you 1K in a repair bill. All the bikes come with a standard warrenty and for the most part if something is going to break it will do it relatively quick or not at all. Of course that is why they push the ESA.....to make a LOT of extra money, not just enough to cover the failure rate. They know what the failure rate is statistically and are betting you are not going to figure that out. So, pay your money and raise the price of the company stock just a little more for the CFO.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:27 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have purchased several extended warranties.........I will never do it again. Put the $$ into maintenance instead...IMO.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

ORIGINAL: ORCUTTHD..Man, what a racket, wish I owned a Dealer!!!!!
You can...If you've got around $1 million in 'liquid' assets and can meet all the criteria that The MoCo sets for dealerships. Than again if you had $1 million in 'liquid' assets, you wouldn't be concerned about extended warranties. Would you?

ORIGINAL: ORCUTTHD..Next question, will I need ESA? How reliable are Harley's? I know, I know no one knows about the new TC96, but in general are these things pieces of sh** or do they stay together?
The new bikes have a 2 year/unlimited mile warranty. Do you put lots of miles on a bike? Say 10-15K a year? If you do, than you probably don't need the extended coverage. If it's gonna break, it'll break in that time period putting on that sort of milage. But if you only put a 5K on a year, and you plan on keeping the bike for more than two years, then you might consider an extended warranty. But I would look extremely close at what is and is not covered. And remember it's gonna have to go to a HD dealer.

On a side note: I purchased an extended warranty on a used 2002 4wd Chevy Blazer that I bought in 2003. The vehicle was two years old and had 35K on it. The price was pretty close to wholesale...So I figured...Hmmmm? This SUV musta fallen off a mountain or something, I better get the extra warranty. It cost me around $1500 for it and I can take the vehicle pretty much anywhere for repairs. I've since recouped that cost three times in repairs. At $75 per hour (which is what HD dealers and Chevy dealers charge around here) it doesn't take long to add up.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:39 PM
redscout
Road Captain

Mine's now 4 years old, so a 3 year warranty would have been kaput by now if I'd needed it... But I never had any problems at all (well, the headlight was out of adjustment when I got it...).

I've had a lot of work done on the bike, like the 95" kit, cams, SE pipes, etc. and every time I'd look at something else the dealers would say it would void the warranty. I know there's laws that actually prohibit them voiding warranties based on stuff that has nothing to do with whatever problem you're experiencing, but I don't have the stress-taking abilities to fight for every single thing anymore. I'd hate to have to start a fight with the MOCO or the dealer every time something should have been covered, so I think it's best to take the $2K and put it in an interest bearing account of some kind and use it for repairs in the future. And that way I can add anything I want to the bike and not worry about whether the MOCO actually likes it or not....

Old 10-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Insurance of anykind is always a gamble. Can you afford the worst case situation and if not do you want to protect yourself with the insurance for the worst case situation. Las Vegas was built by a ton of folks that thought their luck and skill was better than it is.
As far as mods go and the warranty, I've had my dealer do the all the motor mods to the bike because prior to having them done they said they would stand behind it and not void the extended warranty. They were clear that if i broke down on the road another dealer may tell me to take a hike but they would always back their work for the entire extended warrenty period. They got my business because of it.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:27 AM
PSO169
Road Master

I got the extended warranty and pre paid service with the tire and wheel coverage. I know I could have had the big bore kit done for what the ESA cost but I like knowing I am covered. I have the 7 year unlimited mileage warranty. I can almost be sure that I will sell/trade in 4-6 years, but I like the added bonus of the selling point of the warranty still being there when I sell.
Jeff

Old 10-07-2006, 01:31 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: PSO169
I got the extended warranty and pre paid service with the tire and wheel coverage. I know I could have had the big bore kit done for what the ESA cost but I like knowing I am covered. I have the 7 year unlimited mileage warranty. I can almost be sure that I will sell/trade in 4-6 years, but I like the added bonus of the selling point of the warranty still being there when I sell.
I did not go that long, but still paid a lot for the ESA I got. Still worth it. Had a flat that cost me $13 total (extra towing), and the wide tire kit installed by dealer ate thru wires the dealer had to fix at their cost. And it was obvious had I not that would have been mine had I messed that up. So until the warranty expires I am covered. May never trade/sell it, but won't cost me like my damn car.

Old 10-07-2006, 02:59 PM
ORCUTTHD
Cruiser

Thanks all,

Pulled the trigger, bought '07 FLTRI last night, (pick up 10/14) NO ESA.

I was somewhat worried about these '07's but I do all my own work anyway and I'll take the 2 yrs. free. Can always purchase ESA up to 2 yrs. later. I figured if it is troublesome, I'll just purchase ESA later, sell or trade in 1.75 yrs.

P.S. My dealer told me that any perf. mods need to come OFF before getting warranty consideration, whether they installed or not!

Old 10-07-2006, 03:42 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeepster09

ORIGINAL: oldfartjc

No matter how good it all sounds it's nothing but a profit maker for the dealer and nothing else, that's why they try to sell every extra warranty under the sun when you purchase your bike.

Also they will tell you, "oh that's not covered...you put pipes on your bike"bla.. bla.. bla
Save your money, the stuff that does go wrong for the most part isn't covered anyway.
Well here's another angle. I'm usually one who shys away from any kind of "extended warranty" just for the reasons oldfartjc mentioned. Cars, appliances (especially appliances) and other mscl. crap you buy. BUT, I did buy the 3 year extension on my original 2-year warranty the day the original warranty ran out this past May. It has paid off since the starter clutch crapped a month later and the dealer put in an entire new starter as well as picked my bike up. The whole thing cost me a $50.00 deductible and the cost of the repair is about 2/3 of the cost of the warranty. One more repair and I'm in the black.

As luck would have it, I passed on the tire/wheel coverage for another $200.00 and promptly parked the bike on a broken Bud bottle. A ride home in a horse trailer and $123.00 later, I had a new tire. Can't win them all.

Quick Reply: Extended Service Contract