General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:46 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I wear a leather jacket that my Dad wore for thirty years. He sold it to me for $12 when he left for WW11.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

One word: KERR

these people make the best! it is expensive buffulo hide. zip out winter liner, gloves, vests all you need and a life time warrante. years ago I paid 500 for jacket, 100 for winter gloves, 50 for summer riding, 135-150 for vest, 60-70 for belt and done for life. I have had mine for 14 years still looks new. I swear by them. One minor set back is even with all the vents in the jacket it is so heavy duty it really is not for the summer riding. but thats why I wear a vest and have rain gear if needed.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:23 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Leather Jacket

If money is no object, I'd have one of these:

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/Coronad...18/prod_id/66/

I'd also have one of their WWII German Luftwaffe jackets..they are so good looking.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:31 PM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Leather is nice and has a certain appeal to it but if I knew then what I know now I would have bought textile riding gear. Once again there are many different manufacturers some quality and others,,,,,,,well lets just say they lack in quality. If I were going to buy today I would look at HD's line of textiles and would try to buy one set with the removable layers for both cold weather, (down to 35) and rain protection. Such manufacturers such as Tour Master and others of equal value are good choices as well. Leather is great as long as it's dry and cooler than 70 but unless your well vented, leather gets hot and doesn't breathe or vent well, at least not any that I have owned. And face it when leather gets wet it is wet for a while. There are manufacturers who claim to have excellent waterproof and vented leathers but I couldn't tell you anything about them. If I were to buy today I would buy the switchback coat and pants to go with them. But thats just my opinion and opinions are like rectums, we all have one.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:40 PM
AZryder
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckw2
don't skimp on cold weather gloves. do research and buy the best you can. trust me cold hands will make an otherwise ok ride absolutely miserable.
+1 !

Old 01-27-2011, 04:41 PM
motorrader
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/cata...et-p-66_5.html

In flat black, this jacket rocks!

Old 01-27-2011, 04:54 PM
WVNightster
Road Captain

I like my Fox Creek Jacket

Old 01-27-2011, 05:47 PM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First Gear all the way... top quality! I'm riding with a set that I have had for 22 years... still just breaking it in.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:52 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by James Riley
I'm a new rider. I don't know squat about squat. And I don't, as yet, hang with or know anyone to bug with these newbee questions.

I want to purchase a new black leather motorcycle jacket, classic style, no logos or brands. Gloves and chaps too.

1. Who makes a good quality product?

2. Any recommendations on sizing (i.e. go a size larger or smaller)?

3. Is the classic jacket good for cold through hot weather or do people buy two or more sets of gear for different seasons?

Thanks in advance for any input.
I am still wearing a 20 years-old leather jacket that's made by Wilson Leather, and it keeps me warm under 20F degrees. The leather quality is excellent, and I have paid $99 20 years ago. You don't want a loose jacket because it will not retain the heat very good. And there is no leather for warm weather.
I always own 3 pairs of glove: Fingerless gloves (Olympia with gel pad), water-proof gloves (Tourmaster), and warm glove (Olympia).
Again, everyone has his/her own reference, so you have to try it out by yourself. I don't think Wilson still selling my jacket style anymore, but this one is very close to what I am wearing.
Happy shopping!

Old 01-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master

I've owned a bunch of different brands including the HD stuff. It's hard to beat Fox Creek as far as quality. I own one of their jackets, chaps and gloves. Unless it gets damaged, this stuff will probably last the rest of my life.

Quick Reply: Leather questions