General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stupidity

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 11:39 AM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default stupidity

We went to a benefit poker run this weekend. First one ,for us,this summer. First a clown has to try a burnout on his fatboy but embarasses himself when the front brake won't hold. He puts it against a curb and is finally able to get the back tire to spin, throwing gravel and rubber all over mine & the wifes bike. 20 minutes later another clown has to burn a circle in the parking lot throwing gravel & rubber on bikes and cars. I'm sure the lady with the red Corvette appreciated the rubber & gravel on her hood. Reminded me why I quit doing these events. Theres always gotta be a couple of idiots in the crowd that have to put everyone else at risk. I guess I'm getting old.

On another note one of the guys I saw at the ride, Jimmy Collins, was on his way to a job site yesterday when a lady blew a stop sign. Her car hit a van, then Jimmy hit both of them in his pickup. All three were killed in the accident. Jimmy was a great guy who really enjoyed his Harley. He will be missed.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:44 PM
anniv03classic
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: stupidity

WOW........sorry to hear about your friend. I, myself, had been hit by a guy who blew a stoplight doing about 50mph. Good thing I was in a SUV and he was in a Toyota Camry. Hit me square on the drivers door. Told the officer he didn't know what color the light was at the time he went through it. Guess I was lucky.

About the poker and charity runs, I haven't been on one yet. I am going to join a local HOG chapter and probably will go on runs. I'll have to watch out for the show-offs.

Sorry about your friend. I always worry about riding through traffic signals and some yahoo not paying attention.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:22 PM
800XC SP
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your friend.
I only go on one charity run per year cuz of what you described, I could go on one every weekend in the summer but don't cuz unfortunatly a lot of them are just drag races from bar to bar with a bumch of idiots. There is one I go on every year for the last few years. It's a benefit ride for cancer. It was started by the head security guy for the Green Bay Packers, he had a bout with cancer and was a biker so he decided to have this ride, he is an ex LEO so the local PD helps out a ton with traffic control, intersection blocking, etc. The ride leaves Lambeau field and and returns where there is a party after the ride is done. Only one stop half way through at a HD dealer for 2 hours, that helps cuz in 2 hours most people don't get 2 liquored up. The loop they take is about 100 miles.
Packer players wander around b/4 & after the ride signing autographs, taking pictures, etc.
It's very well organized, and the participants are pretty mature even with the wide variety of age groups attending, last year over 1,000 riders took part in the ride.
Keep looking and you'll find one that is worth going on, when done right by the organizers they can be a good time.

Here's info & pics: www.cruiseforcancer.org

Old 10-04-2006, 02:46 PM
softail2005
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess this is why HOG functions don't allow drinking. If you drink you are asked to leave the group. Booze and bikes don't mix, I like to drink with the best of them but you need to be alert on a bike not in a booze fog.IMHO

Old 10-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Jerks are Jerks....No matter what they ride, why they ride, or who they ride for.....I think I would've lost it and thumped the dude doing the burnout if he'd been throwing crap on my bikes. Or showered my wife's vet. No, I would've had to pull my 5' redhead off of him....Then thump him.

Sometimes you just gotta confront stupidity....Especially when it's directed your way.

Old 10-05-2006, 01:16 AM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally agree. i drink alot but never when I ride....
ORIGINAL: softail2005

I guess this is why HOG functions don't allow drinking. If you drink you are asked to leave the group. Booze and bikes don't mix, I like to drink with the best of them but you need to be alert on a bike not in a booze fog.IMHO