General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat alterations

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:21 PM
supercrewser
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seat alterations

Has any one ever modified their stock seat . I have an anniversary bike and like the copper and black seat but think it looks a little over stuffed and too fat , wondered if i could some how trim the foam a little and reattach the cover.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:39 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i just got my seat back from mean city cycles, they'll do whatever you want with the seat. my stock fatboy seat is literally sitting in a box while i'm at work. i'll take some photos and let you know how it feels and was put back together when i get home.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Grummpy Bear
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got one at mean city right now, should have it back by the 31st, myself and friends have had many seats altered by them and no one has been disappointed yet, check them out.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:33 PM
we_brown
Cruiser

M e a n C i t y C y c l e s

Old 01-26-2011, 06:49 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well i haven't ridden on the seat yet but by appearance i'm a little bummed. there is a very noticeable gap between the cover and trimmed foam. i can push the cover down about 2-3 inches before i hit foam, i thought the cover would be re-worked and foam cut so that the cover would lay on top of the foam as it should but it doesn't lay flush with the foam at all there's a lot of air in between. if you couple that with shipping and getting the seat and pilon re-worked you're near $200, probably would've been better off looking at e-bay for used corbin or mustang seats.

other folks have been thrilled though and if you're dead set on keeping the stock seat mean city cycles is probably the best bet and most highly recommended.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:54 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took about 2" out of the seat which was on my RK when I bought it. Not OEM but over stuffed pillow, and way too tall in the saddle for me. I removed the cover and foam, then sliced the 2" out of the middle, leaving both the top and bottom contour as was so the cover fit perfect when restretched. If it's made by 'man', it can be modified...

(Just noticed, the seat in my sig pic is the one I modified. I left the passenger pillion as it was originally.)

Last edited by CroK; 01-26-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by supercrewser
Has any one ever modified their stock seat . I have an anniversary bike and like the copper and black seat but think it looks a little over stuffed and too fat , wondered if i could some how trim the foam a little and reattach the cover.
An overstuffed seat is always the first impression I have when I look at the Softail Custom. You need to just take some time and look at your seat and think about where you're wanting to remove foam and try to picture the stock cover going back on. The cover will not change shape. If you remove foam equally around the whole seat the cover will just drop down by whatever amount of foam you removed. If you start reshaping the seat your not going to get a good fit with the cover no matter how hard you try. Take your time.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:19 AM
Viking66
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There may be a place right in your town that can do good work on your seat. I found an upholstery shop local that did a great job on what I wanted done with mine.

The whole process only took them a day, and was $100.00

Look around, you just may find something local. This will also give you the opportunity to get your intensions across face to face, and easier to go back to if it is not right.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:18 AM
supercrewser
Road Master

I definitely need to change it , it looks too much like a couch seat than a motorcycle seat, but it is pretty comfy and i dont want to lose that part of it.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:27 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

AlligatorBob@msn.com NW of Chicago
can modify your seat he reworked mine to sit lower and put that new foam stuff in
nice work very comfortable
please note ...your A$$ must be happy not your eyes with a seat.