General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do you carry, has then need arisen to use

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:28 PM
dirtyharryfxrt
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a CCW but mostly carry when I am going to Detroit. I carry a Kel-Tec .380 with hollow points, it has a small clip on the side like a pocket knife.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:31 PM
daltrey
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robotech
Daltrey, that is tiny! I'd love to have a CCW permit but here in CA you have a better chance of being elected for pope than getting one.
Yeah I feel for ya. The funny thing is the Bad Guy doesn't need a ccw permit. The pic above was just one I found off the internet. Here is a pic I just took of a couple of my real guns. As far as California law is concerned "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6".

Last edited by daltrey; 01-26-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:32 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I show you mine then it is going badly for both of us. No, I have not pulled mine out except to put it up. I have reached towards it without grabbing it. Being prepared and willing seemed to divert the problem.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Rick-e
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dankFLSTF
Never needed to use it and I hope I don't need to. You don't just pull it out to scare someone off. That will get you in trouble.
You are correct Sir. Just the same, if the need arises you can not hesitate. Violent perps use surprise and speed to their advantage, like the "shock and awe" effect. If you're not fully aware of what is going on around you, you may as well have a banana in your pocket. In fact you'd be better off with a banana, because if it were taken away from you you'd be in less trouble.

I'd like to hear some of the LEOs on the forum weigh in on this.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:39 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by soulpony
In 30 years of having my concealed carry, I have only had to produce it once, several years ago 4 gang banger wanna bes thought they had an easy mark, it hit a point where it looked like I was in deep ****, produced a 45 auto and the party was over, they went about their way and I went about mine, thankful that all I had to do was produce it not use it.
The equalizer!

Old 01-26-2011, 02:43 PM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dankFLSTF
Never needed to use it and I hope I don't need to. You don't just pull it out to scare someone off. That will get you in trouble.
Brandishing a weapon is assault with intimidation - a felony that can lead to loss of your concealed carry license. The only reason to have the sheepies realize you are armed is if the situation has deteriorated to a point where you are in fear for your life or that of those around you.

You pull it, you use it - and NO WARNING SHOTS -

Old 01-26-2011, 02:43 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Laid a hand on it twice, but never pulled it. Just the movement and action was enough both times to alert the aggressor as to what was coming.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:55 PM
ID Triple T
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick-e
I'd like to hear some of the LEOs on the forum weigh in on this.
X2

I carry a glock 27 with self defense ammo in a IWB holster. As others have said, I pull it, I use it. The situation has left me absolutely no other choice but to save my life, the life of my family and/or the life of another person. As a last resort only.

I figure every round I send down range, justified or not, will cost me many years of my life and many tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees. But to quote and unknown source, "I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by six."

Old 01-26-2011, 02:57 PM
turbostang
Cruiser

Never had to pull it, thankfully. Although when I crashed last summer, it went on down the road without me. After I got the bike out of the middle of the road, the gun was the next priority!

Old 01-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Ockam
Tourer

Originally Posted by daltrey
I carry a ruger lcp .380 auto in a desantis nemesis pocket holster. Holds 6 and 1 in the chamber. You can carry it around in your front pocket and not even realize you have it. Oh yeah, it weighs under 10 ounces. I also have a crimson trace laser on it. The pic below is what it looks like with the crimson laser.

That's a nice option for a CCW.

Too many people want to attach the machismo factor to having to draw a weapon. It's nice to read about other riders who are responsible about carrying.

I still would like to see a LEO chime in.

Quick Reply: do you carry, has then need arisen to use