General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spiteful Wife vs. Insurance Company

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 03:29 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by barjbar
And motorcycles are not listed in CarFax.
Not all motorcyle losses may be reported to CARFAX, but motorcyles are reported to CARFAX, my '02 Deuce was in CARFAX.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to help. Like has been said that VIN on the neck could be there but painted over. Looks like, from the picture you posted, that the bike has been painted in a...how to say this tactfully...low budget fashion. (Not a bad thing, I'm all over low budget...the picture of the Sporty in my sig only had about $2500 of work put into a bike I paid $2500 for...) Thus it is highly possible the VIN is still there. I wouldn't worry about it much unless they give you some BS about not having the full VIN on the frame or something. If they claim that be sure to tell them, in writing, that if you scratch the paint off the frame to uncover the VIN rather than go by the partial on the engine case they will then be paying to have the frame repainted PROPERLY.

Can't tell from your picture if that is a 1200S or not. The entire engine has been repainted in flat black. So looking at those heads and coil will be your best bet in determining if the engine has been changed or not.

This is important. My bike was registered and insured as an 883. I had done the 1200 conversion using 1200S pistons, cylinders, and heads. When it got totaled the insurance company only was going to give me money for an 883 unless I could prove to them I did the 1200 upgrade. I told them, "If you go look at the heads on the bike they have two spark plugs each. Then go to Harley's site and you'll find the only Sportster with those heads was a 1200. There's your proof." They checked and then wrote me a check for the modifications at Harleys retail price.

However I had insurance through Progressive. I've heard some say they didn't have good luck with them. I, however, couldn't be happier. A 1999 883 Sportster, 24K on the clock, as you see it in my pictures and probably under $5,500 invested...and I wound up with a check for $5,500...and got to keep the bike! Yea, can't recommend them enough if you're going to be shopping around.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:31 PM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glideridemike
Well I'll throw in the fact that we've had the best of luck with State Farm back in Michigan as well as here in Ohio. Rates are usually competitive and claims are handled smoothly and fairly. But having a good agent, no matter the company is of paramount importance.
agree 100% not one to promote an ins.co. but in my case my agent lives up to the slogan "like a good neighbor "

Old 01-26-2011, 06:17 AM
ja57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 91 Posts

Glad to hear you aren't backing down from the ins. co.. If more did this it would help all of us.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:34 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
Seems odd, they were cashing your checks right? There has to be a VIN # on the policy, someone is missing something.

Mark
They need to prove it's the same bike as the policy.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:55 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by O/D @ Bank of Bad Habits
01/03 my husband was on his way home from work on his bike.

Driver stated on scene he "never saw him 'til it was too late," and I'm glad to say my husband is alive and not a vegetable.

I have an attorney for the bodily injury claim, which is a fiasco in and of itself - Health insurance will not cover bills because it was a motor vehicle accident, thus vehicle insurance is to pay, and they won't pay until the claim is settled, and I'm officially paying for follow ups and meds out of pocket. The attorney told me he's not going to take on the property damage claim, I could do that myself because once he's paid from the proceeds of his time, there's a good chance we'd owe him money. I didn't really grasp that at first, now I understand.
Going back to your original post, hopefully Brenn or someone else in jurisprudence will weigh in, it does not seem to me you have the right attorney?

In my experience of listening to Dad who retired from the insurance industry so I am absolutely no expert. They would bend over backwards to pay medical bills as they come in, try to close the property quickly and over value to avoid lawsuits and court battle IF their insured was clearly at fault which seems to be the case.

Does not sound like your insurance company or attorney is representing you as they should. Maybe it is wise to pay consultation and get another lawyers read?

Old 01-26-2011, 07:13 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
Going back to your original post, hopefully Brenn or someone else in jurisprudence will weigh in, it does not seem to me you have the right attorney?
I thought it sounded a little odd, but being that he's a North Carolina lawyer and I'm not, I couldn't really say that based on what was posted.

Knowing the HUGE difference between what lawyers do/should do and what people think lawyers do/should do/how they should do it, he could be the best lawyer in the world for all I know.

Last edited by brenn; 01-26-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:44 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Yep, it doesn't matter if you are guilty or not, but more importantly how good a lawyer you retain.

This is the 2nd story I have heard here concerning some real bs insurance co. dealings concerning a motorcycle claim. Makes me wonder how the Insurance Laws in NC are written.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:12 AM
riskmanager
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some suggestions

Glad husband is doing better. Note my "name". I have been involved in insurance , not a salesman, for my life.
First: Why isn't your insurance company reimbursing you for the cycle? Your attorney should not have to deal with that. Did you have coverage for your cycle under your insurance?
Secondly, you are just fussing and playing their game with the other person's insurance. Get a copy of the policy if you can. (Your attorney should have it)
Contact your State's Dept of Insurance. Insurance is not under the federal domain at all but each State handles insurance in their state. The website should have a link to file a complaint. File with the state Dept of Insurance. Be sure to use the phrase "bad faith" Insurance companies hate those words. You can spend all your time playing their game. Go on the offensive.
(Why do i say get the policy? Because the policy may have an arbitration provision)
Also, if you had coverage for the cycle, then your policy should pay you and subrogate against the other party. Keep track of that subrogation so you get your deductible back)

Attached Thumbnails Spiteful Wife vs. Insurance Company-velma-biker-babe.jpg  
Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 AM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by glideridemike
Yep, it doesn't matter if you are guilty or not, but more importantly how good a lawyer you retain.

This is the 2nd story I have heard here concerning some real bs insurance co. dealings concerning a motorcycle claim. Makes me wonder how the Insurance Laws in NC are written.
They're written by lawyers (and insurance executives)

Quick Reply: Spiteful Wife vs. Insurance Company