General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spiteful Wife vs. Insurance Company

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:09 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

North Carolina is not a no fault auto insurance state. Where did your husband buy the bike? If Geico ran the VIN and it came back rebuilt, that's not good. Plus there's a sticker where the VIN was. The VIN should start with 1HD. If it starts any other way, it's a rebuilt bike with a state issued VIN.

Last edited by barjbar; 01-25-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:45 PM
O/D @ Bank of Bad Habits
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks yall!

I'm in NC. It's *not* a no-fault state. In the accident report from the podunk police department, it reads,

"vehicle 1 (the bike) was traveling north in the left hand travel lane of e main st. vehicle 2 (A Durango) was attempting to turn left onto east main street from parking lot. vehicle 2 entered the travel lane of main street failing to yield to oncoming traffic."

My insurance company sucks and I'll pay higher rates for better service when our policy is up for renewal - They have been of no help.

Robotech & wwNightster, I owe you two a beer! I found the partial VIN on the engine...It's a match! Yay! It wasn't on the neck. The original neck is gone. Hmmmm..... Here's a pic of the right side of the bike, sans chrome exhaust covers - "The good side." I can't get the left side pic & others to upload/attach. Either way, as you can see, this not a piece I'm getting loaded off of, either to repair or total. Personally, I'd like him to have something shiny and bigger, but he's more into the loud, raw appearance, and, well, eh, OK, I'm not giving up the cash for one I would find more cosmetically appealing outside my house.

barjbar - Run the VIN, no additional info, at a dealership for a CarFax.

Mike634 - My husband was a Marine. I'm sure he'd throw a "Semper Fi" your way.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for your help! Muah!

Attached Thumbnails Spiteful Wife vs. Insurance Company-jan2011-146.jpg  
Old 01-25-2011, 01:46 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Google "north carolina insurance bad faith." In spite of having a set of statutes against it in Kentucky, as I'm sure they do in North Carolina, it is still common practice for insurance company employees to try to screw you. Remember that John Grisham movie, the Rainmaker? "Claim handlers are directed to deny all claims within three days."

Here's 1 article - just the first I found: http://www.brentadams.com/library/wh...-bad-faith.cfm

It has happened to me on 3 or 4 claims. Once my renter's insurance agent and adjuster tried to claim damage from a falling ceiling wasn't covered under the policy, when it clearly was. I think I was more than fair, in telling them I was (at that time) a lawyer that mainly represented insurance companies. I waited for them to send a letter stating the reason for the denial, then I sued the company and the agent and adjuster personally, for violating Kentucky's bad faith statutes, breach of contract, etc. They paid me about 3-4 times my actual loss before the 20 days for them to file an answer to the complaint had run out. Then my wife got hearing aids and our HMO said, "we pay for cochlear implants, not hearing aids." I reminded them of an ongoing case, with the same certificate of coverage, being handled by the firm I worked for, where the defense was, "we pay for hearing aids, not cochlear implants." So they paid us. Much the same results when UPS denied a claim on a shipped guitar for "improper packaging" even though they had never inspected the packaging and it had been thrown away. They paid more than I had originally sold the guitar for and let me keep the guitar.

Starting to get the idea? Insurance bad faith practices are very, very common and obvious, if you understand the policy terms and law. You may have a claim against the insurance company completely separate from the claim for damages from the accident. Talk to a NC lawyer who knows about that kind of stuff.

Last edited by brenn; 01-25-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:20 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

Check "Fight Bad Faith Insurance" on the internet. Buying insurance soley on rates isn't always the best bet. If the company welches on the claim, you're not saving any money.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:27 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,539 Likes on 932 Posts

So what insurance do you have so we know to run the other way?

Old 01-25-2011, 02:40 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Good advice in here and all I'll add is the VIN numbers may still be on the frame neck but UNDER a light coat of bondo or paint , the guys at the shop should know this and you can scratch that area and they will come up if still there . I doubt if hubby has the skill to build a nice a bike he would have removed those numbers .

Your getting the standard yank around by the insurance company , they do not like paying off on customized bikes there is no " in print " bottom line they can weasle around so their tactics are to do just what your getting from them . I went something similar yrs ago in the midwest with a custom bike . Get a camera and take lots of detailed pictures particularly of anything looking like numbers on the engine and around the neck area on the bike .

You've done very well so far kudos lady , hold your ground and do not be afraid to get into the insurance com. faces with details . Get a recorder for the any phone calls from now on and tell them it's being recorded , you will be amazed how fast the attitude changes on their end doing this it will also help you keep an even head losing it in anger only plays into their hands . Request detailed copies of any " regulations " they try to quote you , your entitled to hard copies .

Keep up the good fight , please .

Old 01-25-2011, 02:46 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by golfblues
So what insurance do you have so we know to run the other way?
Auto Club Group is highly ranked by JD Powers & Associates for claims. 3rd in the U.S. according to my managers. I'm an agent for AAA Michigan. We used to get legal briefs about every 2 months of court cases in Michigan. It was very entertaining seeing how some companies tried to weazel out of legitimate claims and it was always the same companies. At least our headquarters was never raided by the FBI for conspiracy to defraud insureds like a couple of companies I know of.

Last edited by barjbar; 01-25-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:55 PM
LCook
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Insurance companies deny claims all the time because most of the insured aren't smart enough, or aggressive enough to push back. Stand your ground. As said earlier, record all phone calls with them, and let them know they are being recorded...you'll be amazed at how much more respectful they are to you.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:10 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Well I'll throw in the fact that we've had the best of luck with State Farm back in Michigan as well as here in Ohio. Rates are usually competitive and claims are handled smoothly and fairly. But having a good agent, no matter the company is of paramount importance.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:11 PM
daltrey
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the information and go and talk to a lawyer. I don't do open heart surgery because I'm not a licensed MD and you shouldn't be trying to deal with an insurance company when you're not familiar with how they operate. You have a winning case but you have to realize most insurance companies are crooks.

Quick Reply: Spiteful Wife vs. Insurance Company