Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Langlitz? Schott? Vanson?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 06:29 PM
Joe Dirt 14
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default leather jackets

Originally Posted by hoethree
Another thread here has gotten me interested in purchasing a new, quality leather jacket. I have spent a good deal of time researching the manufacturer's websites and pricelists. I am still in a quandry as to which I will purchase. For the style of jacket I am interested in it looks like Langlitz is clearly the most expensive coming in at $900; Schott hitting at $660 and the Vanson just at $500. None are cheap by any means and all seem to be quality, made in America products. Some differences that trouble me are:
1) Dave at Langlitz does not recommend horsehide due to high cost (yet his jacket is the most expensive) and prefers goathide.
2) Schott offers horsehide for a third less cost than the Langlitz.
3) Vanson features competition leathers while Schott seems to be more of a fashion apparel company while Langlitz is very singular in what they offer ie motorcycle jackets.
4) Schott offers a full refund for any reason while for Vanson its a qualified return. Langlitz offers complete customer satisfaction guarantee but not sure they will allow return if I just decide I dont like the jacket.
5) Langlitz is custom made to my exact measurements while Schott and Vanson are sizes "off the rack". I gotta believe the Langlitz will fit me the best.
What bothers me most is laying out this cash for something I cant see or try on before making the decision. I see many Vansons and Schotts on Ebay but have yet to see a Langlitz. Maybe this is an indicator of customer satisfaction?
Would love to hear from owners of these jackets realizing opinions are biased.

thanks
have you looked at fox creek leather. they are real motorcycle jackets and American made. top of the line jackets. about same price as Harley Davidson jackets. but no comparison.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:01 PM
Joe Dirt 14
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Holzarbeiter
Langlitz or Vanson. Both are true riding jackets and not some fashion statement. It seems strange that people are willing to spend 20,000 plus on a motorcycle and spending thousands on crome and then buy a 200 dollar jacket made in some sweat shop. Your riding gear is all that will protect you from the elements and pavement.

Langlitz will service that jacket for life, who else does that. Quality is second to none.

Vanson are well made, used to be all american, haven't seen any new ones but the old jackets and leathers are great.

Your money and my 2 cents worth
fox creek warrants their jackets for life!

Old 01-02-2015, 08:48 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

PSSST...Welcome to the forum! We know all the posts are new to you, but please give the post dates a glance, this one is a moldy oldy!!

Mark

Old 01-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 429 Likes on 259 Posts

I heard Espinoza Leather is a great place, father/son operation. If you're ever in Rosemead, CA... or just look at their website. I'm going to check out their shop in a couple of weeks.

http://espinozasleather.com/

Old 01-03-2015, 01:39 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,256 Likes on 6,547 Posts

I have many US made leathers ranging from a vintage AMF/HD 1970's cafe jacket, two 70's vintage Brooks cafe's and four Vanson's. The competition weight of the Vanson's make them feel bullet proof. They are a bit harder to wear off the bike rather than on. My Mark2 Cobra is the go to jacket for cold, wet, high speeds no BS riding. When I get off the bike the jacket has to come off due to it's weight (especially if I have all the CE armor installed). The older vintage leathers feel like a t-shirt compared to the Vansons. Vanson's run small (real small). I wear a 44 in sport coats and wear a 48 in Vanson's. I get mine off of Ebay and you shouldn't have to pay more than $250 for a $700 retail jacket.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:22 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

One of the best leather jackets I ever owned was a 1970's H-D Cycle Champ jacket. Back then, their jackets were made of horsehide and made in the USA. I've owned several leather jackets since that one, but none were as good. Until now. The best jacket I've EVER owned is the one I bought this past fall from Hillside Leather. Old school look, horsehide leather, and priced below $500.00. What more could I ask for?

http://www.hillsideusa.com/

Old 01-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Jmaz
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Schott jacket and wear it often on and off my bike. The leather is thick and breaks in nicely. I have been using it since I bought my FB Lo I last March. This is my second Schott jacket as my first one was stolen a few years ago during a PCS move back to the U.S. The only thing I don't like about the Schott is that they have no armor pockets. I bought a shirt with armor in it so I can switch jackets as weather conditions dictate.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:21 PM
Glide446
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fox Creek leather makes an excellent product !! I'm wearing jacket and chaps. GREAT customer service too !!!

Old 01-08-2015, 03:01 PM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Road Star
I heard Espinoza Leather is a great place, father/son operation. If you're ever in Rosemead, CA... or just look at their website. I'm going to check out their shop in a couple of weeks.

http://espinozasleather.com/
I have a couple of Espinoza jackets. In my opinion they are one of the most underrated manufactures of this product type. Their website is not so groovy but the garments are very good.
They have no vents and are heavy leather with a quilted lining, so they are not for summer riding in Oklahoma. The zippers are VERY heavy duty on both the sleeves and the main zip, as well as the hand warmer pockets. The kidney panel in the rear is padded.
The company cheerfully agreed to lengthen the standard sleeves for my monkey arms. Hell, on my second order they even threw in a T-shirt and a couple small tubs of Snowproof leather dressing.