General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Registering a Motorcycle in California - Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 07:37 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Just keep in mind that DMV can refer you to CHP if they cannot figure it out. Not sure where in Kali you are from but in the Bay Area I have never ever been in and out of the DMV in 2 minutes (1-1/2 hours at best). And while your inspector may have had you read the engine numbers to him I got Luke the Gook and it took him at least 15-20 minutes to try and decipher what was on the emission tags.

And up here if you end up at the CHP office, will definitely check pipes, mods, bar height, signals and anything else they can think of to dick you around.

And sometimes you have to help out the inspectors….had a '36 Chevy Master that I found in Iowa (wish I still had it!). Took all of 10 minutes to transfer title to me in Iowa (included ride to the courthouse). Got it back in Kali and took 2 weeks to get an appointment. Inspector at DMV had me pop the hood and started looking for the engine vin. I had to explain that in '36 cars were registered by the frame and not the engine. He went and looked it up to verify the information. Comes back and now he can't find the frame tag. Finally I take him to the right side passenger area and show him where its at.
Oh, I wasn't out in two minutes, The inspection took two minutes. The whole thing took about thirty minutes and that was because I had an appointment.

A bike that has not had the engine changed and has a clean out of state title will not require any LE inspection. Even if you have an officer inspect it, they are not trained to identify missing smog equipment (yet). Obnoxiously loud pipes could be a problem but I would just trailer it there and tell them it doesn't run. Bars won't a problem in California as the law only requires they be no more than six inches above your shoulders. That's pretty high.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:43 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
I hear though if you get a Harley that is 2010 and newer they waive the 7500 mile rule as the new Harley's are 50 state bikes.
That is absolutely not true. My 2011 is a 49 state bike with 49 state emissions. The EPA and CARB exhaust emission requirements are exactly the same on every bike regarding HC, CO and NOX but California requires an EVAP system, and the EPA (for now) doesn't.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
One issue about the advice I gave is the interaction and communication between various government data bases in Ca.
While an out of state plate on a vehicle owned by a ca resident could fool a cop, it may not fool a computer.
Filing a Ca income tax return could create a search of neighboring state vehicle registration records. A match might generate penalties and fines.
Or, if you ride around a certain area, say- commute the same route. Your going to see the same cops around, and your going to stand out with your out-of-state plate going by day after day..... Living in a small town does have it's disadvantages. It's better to keep a low profile. Don't want to end up like some folks who are on a first name basis with the sheriff (and not in a good way either).

Old 12-09-2013, 08:13 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,042 Likes on 17,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Angelfire36
Only you never get the Calif. plates and run the risk of getting pulled over; there is a time limit on how long you can run with out of state plates, I think 20 days, then you pay a penalty.
I did that dance for almost a year when I moved here in 88 , all I carried was my passport and the International Driver license I got for the Europe trip earlier that year and still had Missouri plates on the bike Drove the cops crazy cause I didn't have cali address to be shackled to but everything else was nice & legal . They finally told me straight up I had 10 days or it was jail & impound time .

Old 12-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,906 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by HotIceHD
AAA does not do out of state in CA:

http://calstate.aaa.com/help/what-dm...does-aaa-offer

Please contact DMV for these services:

- CA Drivers License Transactions and Printouts
- Vehicles/Vessels Origination from a Dealer
- Out of State Registration Renewals/Transfers
- Vehicles/Vessels with Unavailable Records
- Off Highway Registration Renewals/Transfers
- Disabled Parking Placards
Well, I'm telling you that I took care of everything at AAA in San Diego to transfer title of an FXR that I bought in Texas a few years ago. I rode the bike there with a Texas license plate, and left with a CA plate. The AAA employee that does DMV stuff did the VIN verification, etc. Took all of about 15 min.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I did that dance for almost a year when I moved here in 88 , all I carried was my passport and the International Driver license I got for the Europe trip earlier that year and still had Missouri plates on the bike Drove the cops crazy cause I didn't have cali address to be shackled to but everything else was nice & legal . They finally told me straight up I had 10 days or it was jail & impound time .
I bet they didn't know what to do with you! At least they let you slide for a year. I'm not sure you could get away with it for that long now though.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:28 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
Oh, I wasn't out in two minutes, The inspection took two minutes. The whole thing took about thirty minutes and that was because I had an appointment.

A bike that has not had the engine changed and has a clean out of state title will not require any LE inspection. Even if you have an officer inspect it, they are not trained to identify missing smog equipment (yet). Obnoxiously loud pipes could be a problem but I would just trailer it there and tell them it doesn't run. Bars won't a problem in California as the law only requires they be no more than six inches above your shoulders. That's pretty high.
Maybe not 'require' inspection by LEO but the DMV officer has the 'option' to refer you to LEO (your local CHP) for inspection if they choose to do so (you may question the reason but it does not matter; it is their prerogative…end of story).

You have not said where you are from (do please tell us) but in Santa Clara and Alameda counties the CHP are very adept at recognizing stock/non-stockand required items on a motorcycle. And while I am not "into" new iron, anyone with basic investigative skills can look at the new iron and see if something like the cat converter is present…or not. You give CHP less credit than they deserve.

Not running?…do not waste your time/effort up here; if they ask you to start it it (obviously to check for sound) and you give them the "its not running" reply, you just bit off more than you asked for because like I said they will go out of their way to screw with you when you finally bring it back in a running condition. And you can cry foul and say it is not fair but nothing in life is fair.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:49 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 8,953 Likes on 4,700 Posts

I really have to wonder how many people look to see when the thread started instead of just responding.

California sucks. That's the bottom line.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:54 AM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Angelfire36
Or, if you ride around a certain area, say- commute the same route. Your going to see the same cops around, and your going to stand out with your out-of-state plate going by day after day..... Living in a small town does have it's disadvantages. It's better to keep a low profile. Don't want to end up like some folks who are on a first name basis with the sheriff (and not in a good way either).
if your drivers license says california and your plates say texas and you get pulled over for anything else you'll get a failed to register ticket automatically. CHP lives off of vehicle registrations and they aggressively enforce it. although its usually just a fixit ticket.

if you have multiple failed to register you'll more than likely get impounded.

if you bought a bike out of state and bring it in expect the dmv to give you the run around. they like their sales tax. CHP on the other hand just cares that its registered ( and not stolen).

at least that's been my experience.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:57 AM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
California sucks. That's the bottom line.
coming from someone that lives in el paso? even LA smog doesnt come close to the stench that floats over from juarez.

Quick Reply: Registering a Motorcycle in California - Help