General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Registering a Motorcycle in California - Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:08 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
They are going to screw with you anyway , the bike will have to go the CHP for an " inspection " before the DMV will give you tags . Ca doesn't like you to go around paying the heavy taxes by buying out of state and they will nail just as hard with fee's for doing so .

Make very sure the bike is bone OEM stock and hasn't been in a wreck or has had major hard parts changed , that's what the CHP inspection is for they look for the hidden numbers on the later bikes and they better match or the bike stays with them till it gets sorted out . Not joking here , they are real bad with older iron because a lot of these " inspectors " don't have a clue about the numbering systems and what years they did and didn't use them .

PS they don't you tell at the DMV about all this till after you stand in line and spend money so be warned .
You are incorrect sir.

The mileage is 7500 miles and (it can) but does not have to be inspected by CHP. All DMV offices have Certified Vehicle Verifiers. They check for the following:

If it has less than 7501 miles they check for CA emissions, or you fill out a Statement of Facts. If it has more than 7500 miles no problem. If the bike has CA emissions, the eighth digit in the VIN will be 3, Federal it's 1.

If you were a resident of another state and moved here, no problem.

If you were traveling through another state and your bike was wrecked or stolen, obtained through divorce or inheritance, no problem.

The Verifier only checks the VIN, the engine number (some states do not put the engine number on the title, CA does) and the odometer reading.

Keep in mind the odometer reading has to be over 7500 at the time of sale in the other state, not the time of entry, so you can't buy a bike in with 5,000 miles in New York and ride it here, unless the above criteria were met.

Also, if you pay any sales tax in the state you buy it, that amount is deducted from the tax you pay here.

They don't care and are not trained to check pipes, modifications, bar height or anything else.

I bought a 2011 Ultra Limited in Montana this year with 7,575 miles and 49 state emissions. The inspection was at done at DMV by the clerk that did the registration. It took two minutes. I read the engine numbers to him (because he had trouble seeing them) and he took down the VIN and odometer reading and compared it to the sales contract. The worst part of the experience was writing the check for the sales tax.

Last edited by dribble; 12-09-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought my new bike in Carson City, NV and registered it here- no problem. I did make sure it had the California emissions sticker before I bought it. As it was a new bike, it was never registered in NV. So all I had to do was take the paperwork from the dealer into the DMV, they inspected for the emissions sticker, I paid a little bit more sales tax and I was good to go.

Just make sure you buy a Calif. legal bike. If you go on the the DMV website it shows a picture of the emission sticker you need to look for.

Of course, if it's a used bike with over 7500 miles, you don't even need the emissions sticker.

Last edited by Angelfire36; 12-09-2013 at 02:07 PM. Reason: always get those mixed up
Old 12-09-2013, 01:30 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
You are incorrect sir.

The mileage is 7500 miles and (it can) but does not have to be inspected by CHP. All DMV offices have Certified Vehicle Verifiers. They check for the following:

If it has less than 7501 miles they check for CA emissions, or you fill out a Statement of Facts. If it has more than 7500 miles no problem. If the bike has CA emissions, the eighth digit in the VIN will be 3, Federal it's 1.

If you were a resident of another state and moved here, no problem.

If you were traveling through another state and your bike was wrecked or stolen, obtained through divorce or inheritance, no problem.

The Verifier only checks the VIN, the engine number (some states do not put the engine number on the title, CA does) and the odometer reading.

Keep in mind the odometer reading has to be over 7500 at the time of sale in the other state, not the time of entry, so you can't buy a bike in with 5,000 miles in New York and ride it here, unless the above criteria were met.

Also, if you pay any sales tax in the state you buy it, that amount is deducted from the tax you pay here.

They don't care and are not trained to check pipes, modifications, bar height or anything else.

I bought a 2011 Ultra Limited in Montana this year with 7,575 miles and 49 state emissions. The inspection was at done at DMV by the clerk that did the registration. It took two minutes. I read the engine numbers to him (because he had trouble seeing them) and he took down the VIN and odometer reading and compared it to the sales contract. The worst part of the experience was writing the check for the sales tax.
Just keep in mind that DMV can refer you to CHP if they cannot figure it out. Not sure where in Kali you are from but in the Bay Area I have never ever been in and out of the DMV in 2 minutes (1-1/2 hours at best). And while your inspector may have had you read the engine numbers to him I got Luke the Gook and it took him at least 15-20 minutes to try and decipher what was on the emission tags.

And up here if you end up at the CHP office, will definitely check pipes, mods, bar height, signals and anything else they can think of to dick you around.

And sometimes you have to help out the inspectors….had a '36 Chevy Master that I found in Iowa (wish I still had it!). Took all of 10 minutes to transfer title to me in Iowa (included ride to the courthouse). Got it back in Kali and took 2 weeks to get an appointment. Inspector at DMV had me pop the hood and started looking for the engine vin. I had to explain that in '36 cars were registered by the frame and not the engine. He went and looked it up to verify the information. Comes back and now he can't find the frame tag. Finally I take him to the right side passenger area and show him where its at.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:32 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
A street motorcycle or motor-driven cycle year model 2005 and older with an engine less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc) displacement. Beginning January 1, 2006, street motorcycles and motor-driven cycles year model 2006 and newer, with engines less than 50 cc displacement, require an emission label certifying them to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency emission regulations, and may be registered regardless of mileage.
i don't have a dog in this fight, but read it anyway out of interest. what struck me odd though, was the 50cc requirement. is there actually a motorcycle with a 50cc engine? thats like a weedwhacker..... i wonder what that baby could do with a stage 1?

Old 12-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,906 Likes on 987 Posts

In California, AAA is your friend. They can handle damn near any aspect of vehicle registration in a fraction of the time you would waste at DMV.

I bought my used '93 FXR in Texas, shipped it back to CA, and registered it at the local AAA office in about 15 minutes. The nice lady inspector checked the VIN, the Engine Number, and the mileage...and that's it. Walked out of there with a CA license plate, along with a current sticker and registration. Painless.

AAA membership is worth every penny.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:54 PM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AAA does not do out of state in CA:

http://calstate.aaa.com/help/what-dm...does-aaa-offer

Please contact DMV for these services:

- CA Drivers License Transactions and Printouts
- Vehicles/Vessels Origination from a Dealer
- Out of State Registration Renewals/Transfers
- Vehicles/Vessels with Unavailable Records
- Off Highway Registration Renewals/Transfers
- Disabled Parking Placards

Old 12-09-2013, 03:37 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,247 Likes on 12,064 Posts

Not suggesting ca residents break the law but you can rent out of state mailboxes for your vehicle registration.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Not suggesting ca residents break the law but you can rent out of state mailboxes for your vehicle registration.
Only you never get the Calif. plates and run the risk of getting pulled over; there is a time limit on how long you can run with out of state plates, I think 20 days, then you pay a penalty.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:10 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Angelfire36
Only you never get the Calif. plates and run the risk of getting pulled over; there is a time limit on how long you can run with out of state plates, I think 20 days, then you pay a penalty.
Living in the Sierras, I reckon you see a lot of NV/OR plates on cars owned by Ca residents.
More than one out there using their vacation home address to register their vehicles...with apparent impunity.
If you get pulled over, tell the LEO you don't live in Ca. Again, not implying you should lie to authorities.

Last edited by upflying; 12-09-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:33 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

One issue about the advice I gave is the interaction and communication between various government data bases in Ca.
While an out of state plate on a vehicle owned by a ca resident could fool a cop, it may not fool a computer.
Filing a Ca income tax return could create a search of neighboring state vehicle registration records. A match might generate penalties and fines.

Quick Reply: Registering a Motorcycle in California - Help