General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Registering a Motorcycle in California - Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 03:24 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
It also depends on the brand of bike. Years ago I bought a new BMW touring bike from a dealer in Idaho and had no trouble at all registering it in California as BMWs are 50-state bikes.
Was California a state then?

Old 01-24-2011, 10:02 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
They are going to screw with you anyway , the bike will have to go the CHP for an " inspection " before the DMV will give you tags . Ca doesn't like you to go around paying the heavy taxes by buying out of state and they will nail just as hard with fee's for doing so .

Make very sure the bike is bone OEM stock and hasn't been in a wreck or has had major hard parts changed , that's what the CHP inspection is for they look for the hidden numbers on the later bikes and they better match or the bike stays with them till it gets sorted out . Not joking here , they are real bad with older iron because a lot of these " inspectors " don't have a clue about the numbering systems and what years they did and didn't use them .

PS they don't you tell at the DMV about all this till after you stand in line and spend money so be warned .
Yuh, plan to spend a whole lotta time in da line...
When you're there its a kick to look at the faces of everyone standing around...it's like they all look half dead as if they got most of the blood drained out of their bodies.

After you get to the head of the line and actually talk to someone there will always be something wrong that necessitates you getting in another
line.

This exercize will test your metal. You will see many who will fail and bolt out the door. They will look disheveled and frustrated. Treat DMV personnel like they are college professors and act like you are impressed with their intelligence....at the very least this may cause them to reach over and spend 10 seconds to have you sign a paper instead of sending you to another 30 minute line.

I would never buy an out of state bike and try to register it here. Those #$%^ would just have too much fun and I can't get behind that....

Old 01-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The DMV will do the inspection. Go in and get the necessary paper. Fill it out and put the bike in the inspection lane. A DMV official will come out and do the inspection while you wait. Take that paper back in and register the bike.

If the bike doesn't have CA emission equipment then it needs to have at least 7,500 miles on it in order to bring it into the state and get it registered.

And heed the advice of Twizted. If the bike is old and rebuilt then you may be in for a long haul. If the bike is a decade old or so then you should have no problems. Unless it's been stolen and put together with a bunch of stolen parts. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:27 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,042 Likes on 17,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
The DMV will do the inspection. Go in and get the necessary paper. Fill it out and put the bike in the inspection lane. A DMV official will come out and do the inspection while you wait. Take that paper back in and register the bike.

If the bike doesn't have CA emission equipment then it needs to have at least 7,500 miles on it in order to bring it into the state and get it registered.

And heed the advice of Twizted. If the bike is old and rebuilt then you may be in for a long haul. If the bike is a decade old or so then you should have no problems. Unless it's been stolen and put together with a bunch of stolen parts. Good luck.

Maybe they do were you live , not up here you get go to see the CHP with any bike that doesn't come with CAL. paperwork in the first place and then it better be new from the dealer . Done it myself and have helped a couple guys deal with getting it straight in the last year and we ALWAYS ended up at the CHP office in the next town .

DMV around here MIGHT look at a brand new bike occasionally depending which office you hit and what time of day bastards are a real jewel about that game , anything else gets the merry go round treatment . Good friend who had lived here and had the same bike for 15 yrs had to leave state for 15 months . Came back with the same bike unchanged and the DMV sent him to the CHP and it took 3 weeks to get his bike back because they couldn't get their end up to speed on the older numbering system . They keep looking for the laser etched stuff like the newer models have and his is an old shovel , poor guy was pulling his hair out over it .

Old 01-25-2011, 03:43 AM
Mississippi Birdman
Cruiser
Default Goin' back to Cali, I don't Think so

California frowns on importing a bike to Cali. I moved there several years ago and my bike moved with me. I was told by the DMV it need a sticker that said it could meet California emissions standards. The sticker, which was under the seat on that bike, only said it meets federal emissions standards. Without the sticker, the bike could have been registered if it was more than five years old, or had more than 7,500 miles on it. It seems California bikes have an added catalytic converter. Dumb bastards. There I was for several years, re-registering it in my then former, and now current state (yes I left Cali), and had the year sticker mailed to me in Cali. My registration was up-to-date, so I figured if I ever got pulled over for not registering the bike in Cali, I could simply say I wasn't able to do so under California law. My advise is that if you are going to live and stay in Cali, buy your bike there, period. By the way, I thought a motorcycle was a low emissions vehicle anyway, with or without a catalytic converter. At least I guess it puts out less emissions than a cage.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:25 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
DMV around here MIGHT look at a brand new bike occasionally depending which office you hit
Originally Posted by Mississippi Birdman
My advise is that if you are going to live and stay in Cali, buy your bike there, period.
Bought my new bike in Nevada.
I did not have any problems registering it at my local CA. DMV office.However, the inspector sure did take his time to look for the correct stickers on the bike.
Had to have some forms filled out by the DMV and send them back to the selling dealer so they could release the title and send the papers back to my local DMV office.This took a few weeks til I got my registration.

It could be a problem if the DMV officer does not know what to look for.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:54 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,128 Likes on 5,320 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Was California a state then?
More of one then than it is now, my friend

Old 01-25-2011, 09:05 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
More of one then than it is now, my friend
Well....I believe that. Cali sure has changed a lot in the last 20 years.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:23 AM
BigTM
Cruiser

All bikes made after 1978 must have Cali emissions sticker or 7500 miles. I registered a honda 90 form 83 with 3500 miles and they looked for the emissions sticker. All bikes made after 1978 must have the Federal emission sticker. Good luck if you removed sticker for painting the frame. If you can prove you owned it for 6 months and kept it legally in another state for that time, no sales tax is due in Cali. What a screwed up system we have here -------------- BUT IT IS 70 degrees all week in January ======= riding everyday T

Old 01-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Mississippi Birdman
By the way, I thought a motorcycle was a low emissions vehicle anyway, with or without a catalytic converter. At least I guess it puts out less emissions than a cage.
Actually motorcycle emissions are along the level of cargo trucks unfortunately. Supposedly they are about 10 times more polluting than the average car, truck or SUV.

Quick Reply: Registering a Motorcycle in California - Help