General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

decel pop

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:28 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by paud
Hi all...hope your team is winning!!!
Last month I put on Stage 1 Screaming eagle high flow intake. Bike ran good but seemed "muddy" in spots.
2 weeks ago I put on Rush 1.75's. I had the dealer download Stage 1 to my ECM.
Bike has a little more umph to it but I am getting decel pop.. Its not loud but I know its not right.
I am not the most trusting soul on this earth...So, is there a way I can check to see if my ECM does indeed have stage 1 ?
AND, if all is working as intended is it time for Dyno Tune?

p.s. go greeeeenbay
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++

What I have to say maybe Hard to take but true.....

I've been through this 4 yrs ago when the dealer installed my
Rush.

Here's the short and sweet of it.

If U didn't have decell popping before the pipes and now have it,, then U didn't get the Rush mufflers sealed correctly (AIR LEAKS) Where they slip on the header pipes... PERIOD........

Also U tried to go the cheap way with the Stg1 (intake and pipes) and only do a download.

A download is a one shot deal, either its OK or it Sucks for Ur bike.

I don't understand why someone buys a HD and then want More everything in the motor area thinking they can do it on the cheap and get good results...

Bottom line....

Reseal the mufflers for air leaks, Check by pulling the baffles out, then look into the pipes from the rear where they slip on the headers while putting a light on the muffer/header area to see if U can see any light from the inside.
If so U have a air leak and will have decell popping..

Then get a decent F/M system and a dyno tune to get her running right

Old 01-24-2011, 05:57 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paud
Hi all...hope your team is winning!!!
Last month I put on Stage 1 Screaming eagle high flow intake. Bike ran good but seemed "muddy" in spots.
2 weeks ago I put on Rush 1.75's. I had the dealer download Stage 1 to my ECM.
Bike has a little more umph to it but I am getting decel pop.. Its not loud but I know its not right.
I am not the most trusting soul on this earth...So, is there a way I can check to see if my ECM does indeed have stage 1 ?
AND, if all is working as intended is it time for Dyno Tune?

p.s. go greeeeenbay
Did I hear you say an air leak is the cause, or is it the flow/reversion of muffs?

Old 01-24-2011, 06:57 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++

What I have to say maybe Hard to take but true.....

I've been through this 4 yrs ago when the dealer installed my
Rush.

Here's the short and sweet of it.

If U didn't have decell popping before the pipes and now have it,, then U didn't get the Rush mufflers sealed correctly (AIR LEAKS) Where they slip on the header pipes... PERIOD........

Also U tried to go the cheap way with the Stg1 (intake and pipes) and only do a download.

A download is a one shot deal, either its OK or it Sucks for Ur bike.

I don't understand why someone buys a HD and then want More everything in the motor area thinking they can do it on the cheap and get good results...

Bottom line....

Reseal the mufflers for air leaks, Check by pulling the baffles out, then look into the pipes from the rear where they slip on the headers while putting a light on the muffer/header area to see if U can see any light from the inside.

Then get a decent F/M system and a dyno tune to get her running right
Not trying on the cheap. I went by what I read in this forum. If I put on heavy breather, no need for remap. BUT if I have heavy breather AND new mufflers then remap or at least download stage 1. So I have stage one. I will check for air leaks.
If I dont find any then I will try to do research on self tuning/mapping. If I dont feel confident in that area, I will have it dyno tuned.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:22 PM
ElectraDave
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I run hi flow intake with 2000 CVO RG slipons and Dobeck performance electronic jet kit for FI. Had decel popping until I found cracked y-pipe, replaced with true duals and no more popping. Check your exhaust for air leaks as others have said.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:03 PM
paud
Road Master

I have rush slip on's. In my pitch black garage, put high power flash light beam in end of exhaust.
No light escaping from anywhere on either exhaust

Old 01-25-2011, 06:23 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Its not loud but I know its not right.
If the bike runs good and all you have is some "not loud" decel pop, I'm not sure how important it would be to get rid of it, considering the cost of a unit and a custom tune. However, the bike will run it's very best afterwards.

In my pitch black garage, put high power flash light beam in end of exhaust.
No light escaping from anywhere on either exhaust
As far as leaks,..... look for black or tan residue where the slips hit the headpipe, and where the headpipe hits the cylinder head.

Decel pop is not uncommon once you go to less restrictive pipes. Tuning can get rid of it in most cases.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:33 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,927 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
Deceleration Backfire is caused by fuel burning in the exhaust manifold or header.

A motor in perfect tune will exhibit deceleration backfiring.
No ifs ands or buts, that’s what causes it. But the bigger question is how does gas get there in the first place, and that’s a bit more complicated. Generally, there are a variety of ways it gets there, and a variety of things that can make the backfiring worse. But there’s a kicker, and something you should understand before we go any farther:

Getting rid of the noise means de-tuning your motor.

This is what I've always read. My Heritage was dyno tuned and has a slight decel popping. I like it but to each his own. The indy that did the work said he could tune it out and I knew that meant detuning the engine so I left it alone.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzesx5ly/myroadstar/id31.html
Finally, some sanity. A good answer to the never ending hand wringing about decel popping.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 AM
paud
Road Master

Not ringing my hands...it was just a "i wanna know" question.
I appreciate all the post. The more I read the more enlightened I become.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Want more everything? Sheesh! We're only talkin' A/C and pipes, not a motor rebuild!

Bottom line....

While an air leak will cause decel popping, so will many other factors. Especially when you take away back pressure.

Did I hear you say an air leak is the cause, or is it the flow/reversion of muffs?
EASILY can be the latter.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Getting rid of the noise means de-tuning your motor.

Yup. If you’ve jut got to eliminate that popping, you’ll have to accept the fact that your motor is going to be forced to run rich to do it, and that isn’t necessarily a good thing.

Decel pop happens during decel right? Where is your throttle during decel?
Throttle is closed. Correct? That's called "zero throttle position". That is where the tuner richens it up to drown out the fuel to keep it from igniting (some tuners lean it there).

So here's my next question:

Who gives a flyin' *** if they run rich in zero throt position?
How much fuel can you possible burn at that rpm?????

Detune? My ***!

I lost ZERO hp/tq, I lost ZERO ridability,..... when I tuned out my decel pop.

Why? Because I don't ride with the throttle closed. He he!

Quick Reply: decel pop