General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tennessee Helmet Law

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paud
Dats odd but check this out. Here in 'Vegas, 15 year old girl struck by car. She died from injuries in less than hour. 2 hours after accident and her death, COPS give mom ticket for daughter jaywalking!!!!
Though their timing really sucked, it makes sense for them to issue the ticket. If the daughter is at fault (jaywalking) for the accident which killed her, it suddenly becomes very important for the driver which hit her whether or not a ticket is issued stating as much.

Though the driver can be sued by the girl's family either way, with a ticket issued basically stating that it's the girl's fault, it becomes much, much easier for the driver to avoid being found liable in a civil case. Without that ticket, the driver is far more likely to be out a lot of money and live with skyrocketing insurance costs.

I hit a pedestrian who was crossing against the light (I had a green) and nowhere near the crosswalk. She wound up in the hospital for four months and almost died, and the police issued her a ticket for jaywalking. I believe this was pivotal in their decision not to sue me. Without that ticket, I'd have been f**ked.

Tickets exist for reasons beyond just revenue generation. They serve as an official record of fault, which carries implications beyond what people initially think.

Sorry for the quick tangent. Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Old 01-25-2011, 08:43 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ovaltine Jenkins
Though their timing really sucked, it makes sense for them to issue the ticket. If the daughter is at fault (jaywalking) for the accident which killed her, it suddenly becomes very important for the driver which hit her whether or not a ticket is issued stating as much.

Though the driver can be sued by the girl's family either way, with a ticket issued basically stating that it's the girl's fault, it becomes much, much easier for the driver to avoid being found liable in a civil case. Without that ticket, the driver is far more likely to be out a lot of money and live with skyrocketing insurance costs.

I hit a pedestrian who was crossing against the light (I had a green) and nowhere near the crosswalk. She wound up in the hospital for four months and almost died, and the police issued her a ticket for jaywalking. I believe this was pivotal in their decision not to sue me. Without that ticket, I'd have been f**ked.

Tickets exist for reasons beyond just revenue generation. They serve as an official record of fault, which carries implications beyond what people initially think.

Sorry for the quick tangent. Back to your regularly scheduled thread...
I believe a police report is sufficient to clearly establish responsibility. No need for a ticket on top of it. Much less giving a ticket to a dead person or to a driver who didn't commit an infraction.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:50 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Once again the point is not that he crashed.
That is the total point. He operated his motor vehicle in such a manner that he alone caused his own error. Very simple. He is the operator and he is at fault. You both need to go buy a set of brass ***** and admit it. Then maybe take a MSF course before you hurt yourselves or someone else.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:52 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
instant mouthwatering right there!
I know...I really like those chrome axle nut covers too.....

Old 01-25-2011, 08:56 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ovaltine Jenkins

Exactly!!! The tickets also serve as a graduated point system for identification of poor drivers who should not be on the road. In Ohio we have a point system for moving violations that add up to suspension of the operators driving priviledges. So, the tickets are an important part of traffic law enforcement. If you fall off your bike 6 times in Ohio within a 2 year period you will lose your drivers license.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:58 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

The "houllier than thou" type of guys like you have a knack for p*ssing me off. I guess only idiots have accidents, huh? And since you're more intelligent than most of us mortals, you never crashed and never will, huh?
Once again the point is not that he crashed. The point is to receive a ticket for crashing when no fault could be established and much less by a TN Cop who was not even at the scene when it happened nor when the paramedics took him to the hospital. I never said he wanted to fight the ticket. The ticket cost him nothing anyway since all his friends pitched in and others riders at the hotel pitched in too.
I call this racket but you're free to consider it normal. What you're not free to do is to call my friend an incompetent idiot.
Have a nice day.
No fault could be established? Was it an Act of God kinda deal? I'm curious as to this statement, since anytime I ever crashed and burned I sure as heck did something I shouldn't have oughtta.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:00 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I believe a police report is sufficient to clearly establish responsibility. No need for a ticket on top of it. Much less giving a ticket to a dead person or to a driver who didn't commit an infraction.
The citation is a critical legal document in any traffic accident. Ask any attorney.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:02 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by scoteh
No fault could be established? Was it an Act of God kinda deal? I'm curious as to this statement, since anytime I ever crashed and burned I sure as heck did something I shouldn't have oughtta.
+1 The guy was a victim of the gravitational pull on his motorcycle by the planet earth.....

Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
That is the total point. He operated his motor vehicle in such a manner that he alone caused his own error. Very simple. He is the operator and he is at fault. You both need to go buy a set of brass ***** and admit it. Then maybe take a MSF course before you hurt yourselves or someone else.
Dude,
An error is not an infraction, stick this deep into your brain. He was below the posted speed limit, wasn't impaired and his vehicle was in perfect driving condition.
Don't be too quick blaming others, it could happen to you too ........ if I didn't happen already.
As for taking MSF classes, thanks for the suggestion but we're both good on the subject.
There was no justification for the cop to give him a ticket, except to fill the coffers ..........
End of discussion with you.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Speedhitter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have idiots come in CT all the time so they can ride without their helmets! Oh they ride with me cause I'm an idiot too! There's nothing like seeing a guy with a helmet on wearing shorts and sandals!
I crashed on a secondary when I hit sand on the shoulder. Probably going too fast and wasn't familiar with the road. There was a fire truck, ambulance and state cop who pulled up to help me. Someone had called 911 when they saw me gracefully slide 40 feet or so and then flip over the curb. After they pulled the bike off of me and determined that my leathers (which were shredded) had taken the brunt of the crash, the cop said he wasn't going to give me a ticket. He looked over at my bike and said you'll be paying for this for awhile! Of course I thanked him profusely! I had $7000 worth of damage and my leg was in a splint for 3 weeks. Maybe the cop was a rider? I really don't know! But it was an accident! You can be as careful as you want, but accidents happen! Hence the word "accident"! This isn't my first accident over the past 35 years, but I'm kinda hoping it is my last! Oh, by the way...because I'm an idiot I didn't have a helmet on!

Quick Reply: Tennessee Helmet Law