General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tennessee Helmet Law

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Speedhitter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T-man you hit it on the head! Pun intended! My head my choice! Million ways to die! The government should stay out of it! Period!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:18 AM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
I'll take the Cherohala Skyway any day over the Dragon. One is a circus, IMO, the other is an awesome ride with fantastic scenery. Ride the Dragon once or twice, get your pin and go ride around the Smoky Mnts. There are several roads that are much nicer and as challenging.

Exactly! Rode the Dragon both directions then the Cherohala Skyway. C S was fantastic and just plain fun. The Dragon is ok but was constantly looking out for potential problems with traffic. Kinda took the fun out of it. 28 out Robbinsville going east is a fun road too. I enjoyed my time there, people were friendly and I had no problems with the NC or Tn cops. Then again I gave them no reason to.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:10 PM
smokehiker
Road Captain

Oh yeah? I'm sure if we stayed away, Pigeon Forge would be a no-man's land. Ask the owner of Smoky Mountain HD in Maryville who he would sell his 000s of t-shirts to.
So what exactly would you make it just fine with?
Speaking for myself (and most everyone I know) It wouldn't bother me in the least in Pigeon Forge fell off of the face of the earth. It would then be a shorter drive to the GSMNP.
And thanks for supporting us dumb-*** hillbillies. I often wonder what the hell we would do without all of the cash you cats spend here.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:27 PM
daltrey
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokehiker
Speaking for myself (and most everyone I know) It wouldn't bother me in the least in Pigeon Forge fell off of the face of the earth. It would then be a shorter drive to the GSMNP.
And thanks for supporting us dumb-*** hillbillies. I often wonder what the hell we would do without all of the cash you cats spend here.
Yeah not my thing either. Me and some buds try and make it up a couple times a year to do some hiking and stay in the shelters. Every time I hear someone talk about how nice the cabins were and all the shopping they've done I just think "Wow are they missing out". There really is some beautiful scenery up there and unless you've been to the top of some of those mountains you're missing out. Rocky Top is one that comes to mind.

Haha, Please guys no wise cracks

Last edited by daltrey; 01-24-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:31 PM
smokehiker
Road Captain

Yeah Daltrey.....the Smoky's are my "first love". I've been hiking/backpacking there for 40 years now and I never tire of them. Nice pics.....looks like you had fun!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:52 PM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh yeah? I'm sure if we stayed away, Pigeon Forge would be a no-man's land. Ask the owner of Smoky Mountain HD in Maryville who he would sell his 000s of t-shirts to.
So what exactly would you make it just fine with?

Tell you what, why don't yall stay away for a while and see just how good we make it. I assure you that the people from TN will be just fine because unlike most places in this country I have been to, we still say hi and help our neighbors out. Did you hear anything about the flooding we had this past spring and all that Federal money we begged for?

As far as Pigeon Forge, I agree with the others I remember when it wasn't hardly anything and would love to see it go back there again.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:05 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by smokehiker
You're welcome.
Actually, we spend much more $ in NC than TN .......... besides the fines given by your State cops.

Have you heard of the Pigeon Forge Visitors Center raffle?
1st prize: 3 days vacation in Pigeon Forge
2nd prize: 1 week vacation in Pigeon Forge

Hey, you guys started it, not me. Don't b*tch about the tourists like these morons in Myrtle Beach, if you see what I mean.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 01-24-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:09 PM
daltrey
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread needs to go to a happy place. Guys I give you Megan Fox.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:11 PM
JBA111
Road Captain

yea helmets in TN, why cause you just entered road race america. WHY the heck did you come here, to ride the 40mile straight as an arrow roads like what you ride at home? HEll no you came here to RUN THE TWISTYs!!!!!!!. And Tennessee is TWISTYS from top to bottom and from left to right!! So helmet up or go someplace else.. and NO we wont go broke cause there are millions of bikers who will come here and ride wearing a good helmet. weve had a helmet law for 40yrs and it hasnt grown to include windshelds or knee pad or whatever. and on any weekend durring our 40 week ridein season there is 10 million bikes on the roads here in TN and belive me NOONE gives a Crap if yur helmet makes your head look big. so your point is foolish...s
And the Skyway and the Dragon are two totally different animals. the Skyway was designed and built to be a 4th an 5th gear senic parkway. the Dragon is a 1st and 2nd gear old mountain road. if you like a lazy roll along ride the Skyway is great , but if you like to handle yur cycle then the 311 curves of the Dragon will definately get yur heart pumpin, espically if you know how to twist the right grip and lay it over.
yea our LEOs get kinda bitchy, hell cops everywhere do sometimes dont be a fool, to think they dont. if you get a stupid ticket help us all and fight it. or sit at home and cry baby about it. and that goes wherever you live.
as for peigon forge, hay go there durring hot rod week and see thousands of great hot rods parked all along the sidewalk up one side and down the other, for free checkin out. then tell me pegion forge aint preaty cool sometimes.
one last thought, man if you highsided on the Dragon going 30mph on a Harley, you deserve a ticket if for nothin else but tying up traffic

Old 01-24-2011, 03:04 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JBA111
yea helmets in TN, why cause you just entered road race america. WHY the heck did you come here, to ride the 40mile straight as an arrow roads like what you ride at home? HEll no you came here to RUN THE TWISTYs!!!!!!!. And Tennessee is TWISTYS from top to bottom and from left to right!! So helmet up or go someplace else.. and NO we wont go broke cause there are millions of bikers who will come here and ride wearing a good helmet. weve had a helmet law for 40yrs and it hasnt grown to include windshelds or knee pad or whatever. and on any weekend durring our 40 week ridein season there is 10 million bikes on the roads here in TN and belive me NOONE gives a Crap if yur helmet makes your head look big. so your point is foolish...s
And the Skyway and the Dragon are two totally different animals. the Skyway was designed and built to be a 4th an 5th gear senic parkway. the Dragon is a 1st and 2nd gear old mountain road. if you like a lazy roll along ride the Skyway is great , but if you like to handle yur cycle then the 311 curves of the Dragon will definately get yur heart pumpin, espically if you know how to twist the right grip and lay it over.
yea our LEOs get kinda bitchy, hell cops everywhere do sometimes dont be a fool, to think they dont. if you get a stupid ticket help us all and fight it. or sit at home and cry baby about it. and that goes wherever you live.
as for peigon forge, hay go there durring hot rod week and see thousands of great hot rods parked all along the sidewalk up one side and down the other, for free checkin out. then tell me pegion forge aint preaty cool sometimes.
one last thought, man if you highsided on the Dragon going 30mph on a Harley, you deserve a ticket if for nothin else but tying up traffic
It wasn't on the Dragon that my buddy crashed.
I have no problem admitting that in some curves of the Dragon I was at 30mph, and I was far from being the slowest. You don't want to be too cocky when you ride it for the 1st time, especially on a new bike you picked up 4 days earlier and with your passenger freaking out behind you because of your friend's crash 2 hrs earlier.
The second run uphill went much faster. lol
I enjoyed it but still much prefer the Cherohala Skwy, Wayah Rd, Foothills Pkwy and Rte 441 between Gatlinburg and Cherokee.
There are awesome rides out there.

Quick Reply: Tennessee Helmet Law