General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tennessee Helmet Law

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:38 PM
daltrey
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To anyone that has never been to Tail of the Dragon you are really missing out. It can be as safe or dangerous as you want but it is definitely a beautiful ride and really more for the experienced rider. You can hang out with 100's and even 1000's of biker's on most any weekend during the warmer months and shoot the chit with fellow bikers and have a great time. The thing I love most about it is it's what God's country looked like before it was industrialized and destroyed.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:40 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by harleydavis
Wow.....Tennessee sounds a lot worst than what we deal with here in California. Now, the CHP cannot ticket you for a novelty helmet, much less fine you for stickers with swear words on it. And coming to the hospital to ticket you because you made an error on your motorcycle........WTF?
Dats odd but check this out. Here in 'Vegas, 15 year old girl struck by car. She died from injuries in less than hour. 2 hours after accident and her death, COPS give mom ticket for daughter jaywalking!!!!

Old 01-23-2011, 08:36 PM
redultra02
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robdavis305
If busted by the State with a Novelty helmet its an auto $100.00 and an extra $500.00 if you have a fake DOT sticker on it, and an extra $50 for every profanity word if you have stickers.
And just where did you come up with all this info, would love to know the info about the $500 for fake stickers and the $50 for each profanity word. Do you have this ticket that you speak of?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:46 PM
jasonmb
Advanced

A friend that works with me (Just outside of Nashville TN) was pulled over by a State Trooper in August. He was issued a ticket for a few hundred for having a novelty helmet, but did not give him the extra 500 for having the fake DOT sticker (gave him a brake i guess).. he was pulled over just for wearing a novelty helmet...The trooper said go to the court date and bring your DOT helmet with you.

He got his court date and went, before every getting to the judge (not sure what they call it, the judges assistant??) threw the ticket out and several others with non DOT helmet tickets cases because "You cannot get pulled over just for a novelty helmet" If he was speeding or some other violation he could have gotten a ticket for that then been issued a ticket for the novelty helmet.

Some interesting reading here:

http://www.cmtabate.com/Legal/helmet_law_defense.htm

Old 01-23-2011, 09:19 PM
softailman1227
Advanced

I don't understand why law enforcement just can't leave us the hell alone. If you want to ride without a helmet, and your head gets splattered on the road that's the choice you make, If you want to wear a helmet that's your choice as well. As far as the sticker goes it's called the first ammendment @ssholes. I'll make sure next time I'm in TN I'll make sure the DILLIGAF sticker is easy to read in case they want to examine it.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:43 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Duh! Not making the corner is prima facia evidence that he was going too fast for conditions.

Man up and accept reality.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:30 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1200
Well teach me something here. If you are carring a dot lid, why are you wearing the nov.? Is it to look cool?

Here's a lesson for you.

Maybe he/she likes the comfort of the non DOT, and maybe they do like the looks of it better. What do you wear, a patch on your back and a tatoo on your forehead? Is that to make you look cool?

Old 01-24-2011, 02:27 AM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's an idea for everyone that doesn't like the TN laws, don't come to TN just freaking stay away. We already have enough people and are making it just fine without you.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:48 AM
captsluggo
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gobblerhuntr
Here's an idea for everyone that doesn't like the TN laws, don't come to TN just freaking stay away. We already have enough people and are making it just fine without you.
Dang Gobbler, Tell us how you really feel. Guess if TN outlaws fartin' and turkey huntin' you'll just be happy in the hills.
Captsluggo

Old 01-24-2011, 05:37 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1200
Well teach me something here. If you are carring a dot lid, why are you wearing the nov.? Is it to look cool?
Well, let's see...he keeps a DOT in the bag "so his bike doesn't get towed"...hmmm...oh, that means he's wearing the novelty helmet in a state that requires helmets - wearing no helmet is kind of obvious. That was easy to figure out.

I, on the other hand, sometimes wear a novelty helmet to keep my head warm, or keep the sun off and get a little portection, depending on where I ride. Of course, I realized the people here who claim a novelty helmet gives no more protection than no helmet are retarded. That's a common problem on the internet.

Quick Reply: Tennessee Helmet Law