General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tennessee Helmet Law

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,237 Likes on 5,854 Posts

Originally Posted by robdavis305
I like the Novelty because its lighter, and if your pulled over for wearing it they will tow your bike if you dont have a DOT helmet with you.
If you do a little research you can get DOT helmets that are just as light and almost as small as the novelty helmet...the only thing that sucks is your wallet will be a lot lighter... but not much more than the ticket.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
If you do a little research you can get DOT helmets that are just as light and almost as small as the novelty helmet...the only thing that sucks is your wallet will be a lot lighter... but not much more than the ticket.
Links please.

No mushroom head helmets please.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:18 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by robdavis305
I like the Novelty because its lighter, and if your pulled over for wearing it they will tow your bike if you dont have a DOT helmet with you.
Ha, ha...nobody's bike is getting towed if you don't have a DOT helmet. They will just tag it, which gives the owner a set amount of time to legally remove it. 48 hours around my parts unless on the superslab, then its 2 hours.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:19 PM
daltrey
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Yeah but when you're in pain with a dislocated shoulder you don't expect a cop to show up in the ER just to give you a ticket. We were all stunned when it happened and no explanation would change the cop's mind.
I bet he's paid a commission on all the tickets he writes. I can't see another reason for being a d*ck.
I've ridden tail of the dragon. Ran it ***** out in my Trans Am. If cop's were paid commission there they would be filthy stinking rich, haha.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Aren’t we Tennesseans lucky to have a state government that knows what’s best for all of us riders? And one that reminds us with fines and penalties when we forget just how lucky we are to have them…

Old 01-23-2011, 12:48 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thread turned flippin helmet discussion. Join your local motorcycle association for crissakes and support helmet choice efforts... and OTHER efforts. Before you know it, we will all be REQUIRED to have windshields, wear armor, reflectives, and god knows what else big brother will slap upon us. ...maybe CO2 air-bag jackets? lol

Become proactive in numbers!

Old 01-23-2011, 01:06 PM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 222 Likes on 164 Posts

be prepared to being stopped upon riding yer '51 flh into tn from ky within the 1st 2 miles even with yer dot lid on and in compliance--don't ask how i know

Old 01-23-2011, 02:22 PM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm asking how you know....lol, so give us the skinny Nibroc.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:20 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

How can a cop give you a ticket and he wasn't there? I would fight that ticket all the way to supreme court.....Or am I missing something is this a state Tennessee law. Either way I'm fighting the ticket.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:55 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

I can understand the novelty helmet and even the DOT sticker deal on a novelty helmet. However it is a violation of my freedom of speech to fine me for anything I say that has no bearing on another persons rights. Particularly when affixed the a helmet. I paid 400.00 for 2 helmets for my wife and myself. They are lightweight and and not giving off the ""bubble'' look. They are HD helmets. We never wear them except when leaving Fl. and crossing into Ga or Ala. We are surrounded by mandantory helmet states. I hate to wear the damn thing but if need be I want no problems with some ******* cop having a bad day.

Last edited by nytryder; 01-24-2011 at 09:54 AM. Reason: corrected mistake

Quick Reply: Tennessee Helmet Law