General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tennessee Helmet Law

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 11:57 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1200
I guess he will make the curve next time a?
If he ever goes back! We spoke with locals back in our hotel in Maggie Valley NC and they told us that if you crash in TN, it's an automatic ticket, regardless what happened.
Is this true?
By the way, all the bikers at the hotel pitched in to help pay his ticket. That was very nice and generous of them.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:58 AM
daltrey
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
A friend of mine crashed on 129 near Deal's Gap, 2 years ago. He was behind me and we were not going more than 30mph. He went too wide in a turn and laid his bike down. He busted his shoulder so we called 911 to take him to the hospital. No cop ever showed up at the scene, just the paramedics.
He was in the ER, waiting to have X-Rays taken when a TN State Trooper showed up and gave him a $162 ticket, right in the ER. The reason? "Driving too fast for the conditions". WTF? The cop wasn't there when it happened and never went to the scene either.
He probably figured that the guy being from WI would not go back to TN to fight the ticket. @sshole!

Hey, Look at the bright side. It's still cheaper than paying for a track day.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:58 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,507 Likes on 8,454 Posts

Originally Posted by robdavis305
If Im wearing my Novelty Ive got a DOT in the bag so my bike dont get towed and I do understand the helmet law to a certain extent.
Well teach me something here. If you are carring a dot lid, why are you wearing the nov.? Is it to look cool?

Old 01-23-2011, 12:00 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,507 Likes on 8,454 Posts

If he ever goes back! We spoke with locals back in our hotel in Maggie Valley NC and they told us that if you crash in TN, it's an automatic ticket, regardless what happened.
Is this true?
By the way, all the bikers at the hotel pitched in to help pay his ticket. That was very nice and generous of them.
It probley true. Something about failing to mantain control.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:00 PM
SouthernGuy8503
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Im wearing my Novelty Ive got a DOT in the bag so my bike dont get towed and I do understand the helmet law to a certain extent.
Personally I don't understand the reason to wear a novelty helmet, if you're going to wear a helmet anyways why not wear a legal DOT helmet. A novelty helmet won't do a heck of a lot anyways, but I've never seen how much protection a nvelty can or can't give so I'm just assuming on that one.

But hey, it's your head so I can't try to tell you or anybody else what you should or shouldn't do, just my opinion that if you're going to wear a helmet anyways then might as well wear a legal DOT helmet. Just makes sense to me lol.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Catfish57
Tourer

I believe it should be up to the rider. I wear a DOT helmet when doing highway speeds and interstates but if your just cruising say some where at slow speeds that a helmet should be optinable.
I live in a helmet law state, that being said I am required to wear a helmet. So if I am required to wear one I buy a simi decent DOT approved helmet. If I have to wear one I want one that might protect me more in the event of an accident. I do however like to remove the lid sometimes in states that allow it. I would think though even at slow speeds that if you land on your unprotected noggin the outcome might not be good.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:02 PM
robdavis305
Intermediate

Well teach me something here. If you are carring a dot lid, why are you wearing the nov.? Is it to look cool?
I like the Novelty because its lighter, and if your pulled over for wearing it they will tow your bike if you dont have a DOT helmet with you.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the Novelty because its lighter, and if your pulled over for wearing it they will tow your bike if you dont have a DOT helmet with you.
Good answer. Comfort counts.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:10 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by daltrey
Hey, Look at the bright side. It's still cheaper than paying for a track day.
Yeah but when you're in pain with a dislocated shoulder you don't expect a cop to show up in the ER just to give you a ticket. We were all stunned when it happened and no explanation would change the cop's mind.
I bet he's paid a commission on all the tickets he writes. I can't see another reason for being a d*ck.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:12 PM
JackDupp
Outstanding HDF Member

A friend of mine crashed on 129 near Deal's Gap, 2 years ago. He was behind me and we were not going more than 30mph. He went too wide in a turn and laid his bike down. He busted his shoulder so we called 911 to take him to the hospital. No cop ever showed up at the scene, just the paramedics.
He was in the ER, waiting to have X-Rays taken when a TN State Trooper showed up and gave him a $162 ticket, right in the ER. The reason? "Driving too fast for the conditions". WTF? The cop wasn't there when it happened and never went to the scene either.
He probably figured that the guy being from WI would not go back to TN to fight the ticket. @sshole!
Went to wide doing 30?? next time walk it through. Oh hell, maybe he had a car tire....

I guess he will make the curve next time a?
Only thing left is park it....

Quick Reply: Tennessee Helmet Law