General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideas for a Poker Run...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 02:19 PM
raidernut
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ideas for a Poker Run...

I've been put charge of planning a poker run to go with our rally in May. Thunder on the Smoky, May 21st, Marquette, Ks. BTW...
The ride will be about 60-70 miles all together, just looking for suggestions and good ideas to make it more fun. I've ridin in a few and know what I like, but what gets you to sign up for one? Any input is helpfull.
Thanks...

Last edited by raidernut; 01-22-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Find 5 biker friendly bars within a 60-70 mile radius willing to participate (not to mention a few bucks selling refreshments), a couple of decks of cards, and your set. Don't forget sponsors, scorecards, 50/50 and raffle tickets, release from liability forms. More "fun" ideas involve a bikini bike wash, Hooters girls, a decent band and grub at the end of it. You're only limited by your imagination and local businesses (that will donate stuff for a raffle) willing to work with you. Good luck.
http://www.nicholashopkins.com/Artic...poker_run.html
http://www.goldenruleofpoker.com/poker-run-sheet.pdf

Last edited by Weevil; 01-22-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:00 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

The ride mostly
I have an allergy to Alcohol I've been working on for 17yrs

Old 01-22-2011, 04:22 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DD&Weevil
Find 5 biker friendly bars within a 60-70 mile radius willing to participate (not to mention a few bucks selling refreshments), a couple of decks of cards, and your set. Don't forget sponsors, scorecards, 50/50 and raffle tickets, release from liability forms. More "fun" ideas involve a bikini bike wash, Hooters girls, a decent band and grub at the end of it. You're only limited by your imagination and local businesses (that will donate stuff for a raffle) willing to work with you. Good luck.
http://www.nicholashopkins.com/Artic...poker_run.html
http://www.goldenruleofpoker.com/poker-run-sheet.pdf
+1 on the bike wash and the band and grub at the end stop. and try to make sure that the majority of the ride is done on back roads and not interstates or major highways. and try to make sure theres enough parking for all the bikes too...lots of people won't stop or stay if there's no room....so large open area at the end stop as well for all the bikes.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Nabubba
Road Master

Get door prizes donated from local merchants and the local HD and Indys. Get items that appeal to everyone male and female. Then when the folks register they get a ticket for the door prizes and sell extra tickets for the door prizes. Then when the riders are out on the ride draw for the door prizes and have the ticket taped to the door prize when the riders get to the final stop. This helps speed up that process and folks can be on their way if they know they don't have a hand worth winning or worst hand.

I like the poker runs that don't go to all bars. That way if one of my daughters wants to ride with me they can. I will not take my kids on a poker run that I know is all bars. They like riding with me and I like to take them with me as they are the next generation of riders. My youngest even won the 50/50 one time on a poker run. Not everyone likes going to all bars just something to think about.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

No bars at a poker run? Blasphemy!

But seriously, the last stop has to be a bar, or a VFW/American Legion, something like that. Normally that's the only place where you can host a band and eats, and has enough parking for all participants.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Slim_B_Kool
Cruiser

You could do a poker run several different ways. Most are a 5 stop poker run with a 5 card hand. You need to find some sponsers willing to donate stuff that you can use for prizes. Another is the rider pays for his hand if he has a rider let them pay a little more and get a second hand. Make sure you start and end in the same location just in case you lose some riders. Keep the run on the backroads or your riders will get scattered out and it will make for a bad run. You can also do a 7 stop poker run and a 7 card hand that you make the best 5 card hand from. Make sure the road captain does the speed limit and keep your crossing guards handy. The guards keep the group together at intersections and check on any riders that may be having problems. It is also a good idea to have a chase vehicle with a trailer in case of break downs cause it always seems to happen. Pick your stops based on parking lot size cause it will hurt the run if you run out of parking or the stops aren't large enough to get all the bikes in. Keep that in mind get a couple decks of cards and have fun.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:12 PM
raidernut
Cruiser

My only problem is all but one stop in in a small town, all backroads of course. So only two bars on the route. I'm only planning on about 50 or so bikes, but I think I could get some rally shirts donated, maybe a gift certificate from the sports bar on the route. And talking to the local moco is a good idea also...

Old 01-22-2011, 07:07 PM
DrewCfromSC
Tourer

+1 for the signed waiver!!! Might be carefull using the term poker run on flyers if your state frowns on this sort of thing. Ive been to a few that are mystery stops sort of speaking. No flyers using the words poker. Sometimes ive seen it refered to "benefit" ride to keep prying eyes from visiting. South Carolina is kinda old fashioned I guess?
LQQK here for ideas>>> http://www.gogocycles.com/motorcycle-poker-run.html
heres more>>>> http://www.rk-mass2.org/pokerguide.htm

Last edited by DrewCfromSC; 01-22-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:09 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior

I am currently helping with the Outlaw & Lawman poker run out of Muskogee Oklahoma. Just finalized the banner friday, having the preregistration forms printed now.
1. Large money return we are doing Total $6000
2. Paying out 20 places
3. Make sure the stops are not to close together
4. Pray for a nice day
5. Beverages food and music at the end is all good
6. Need a good cause (Our money goes to Shriners Hospitals for Children)

Quick Reply: Ideas for a Poker Run...