General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balance front tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 08:30 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Balance front tire Question

Hey guys, I got a new front tire today for ultra. To save a little money, I was told if I brought in the front tire/rim, I would save 40 bucks off the mounting. Tat way they didn't have to the take the front end apart. So I pulled my front tire/rim off the scoot and I took it to the stealership. Before I went down I removed the front disks to clean then.

I got home and couldn’t remember if the two balance weight on the disks, if they are on opposite ends of the rim, or if I line them up together, across from each other, or if it makes a difference. I called the stealership and they told me to make sure they are lined up across fro each other.

Well I went for a ride and there is a vibration in the dront end and the scooter doesn’t feel right.

Any ideas

Old 01-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure about balance weights on the dics.But if you are referring to the wheel weights on the rim .Toss them in the trash and get some dyna beads.After using these I will never go back to standard ugly wheel weights again.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:18 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior

No it's not the wheel weights. i have nine spoke mags. on each my disks, are a small weight, looks the size of a nickel. i will post a pic when i get home. i dont have my USB cord for my phone to download the pic

Old 01-22-2011, 12:02 AM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior

Balance front tire Question-imag0504.jpg

this is what i have a question about. the small balance weight on the disk. there is one on the other disk also. does it matter their placement? do they have to be in line across from each other? or should they be on opposite side from each other?

Old 01-22-2011, 12:39 AM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior

bump

Old 01-22-2011, 02:14 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by HOG_0308
bump
That is not a balance weight. It is the factory's half-hearted attempt at a floating rotor.

As far as the balance goes, ideally the tire/wheel assembly should be balanced with rotors and pulleys intact. Either that, or as I did on my bike, balance the rotors and pulley individually. Then the clocking makes no difference.

Then again, most of the mass when balancing is the tire itself. As you get closer to the axle centerline, any imbalances have a decreasing effect. Rotors fit in this category and they'd have to be pretty far out to feel it.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:17 AM
1badbagger
Road Warrior
Received 1,773 Likes on 468 Posts

2nd for the Dynabeads

Old 01-22-2011, 05:59 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

U have totally confused me,,
first U say there's two then later say there's only one weight on each rotor, which isn't a weight anyway.
Or is it the rim weights.?? Either doesn't have to be in sync with front to rear one.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:45 AM
RideDglide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went through something similar last FT change. New tire balanced in the shop and I reinstalled. Bike about got away from me on first run. Took the wheel back off and returned to shop where I bought the tire. Verified balance myself. Tried everything, checked head bearing, changed fork oil, ensured pressure was spot on all which made the bike rideable. After 2K I couldn't take it anymore, was completely f---ing up my cornering and every other aspect of my ride.
Took the bike to a local indy thinking maybe the head bearing needed a looking at. Two guys spent two hours with me trying this n that. End of the day it was just the tire with no real reason other than every now and again they run across a bad one that will balance, but adversely affect handling.... Dunlop D402
Shameless plug out to Custom Cycle Works in Rancho SD.
Charlie and Leo dropped what they were doing when I rode up with my hair on fire. 2 hours of their time +1 front tire = 165 OTD.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:13 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take the front wheel off again and take it back to the dealer with rotors attached and have them check valve stem placement and re-balance... If you have the same problem it is the tire as noted by RideDGlide.

Quick Reply: Balance front tire Question