General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balance front tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:36 AM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you after spending 31 yrs in the tire business that just because a tire is balanced, it doesn't mean it's round. Have them check the run-out with a dial indicator. There are tolerances for out of roundness and a procedure to follow to determine if it's tire or wheel related.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,197 Likes on 5,849 Posts

Originally Posted by HOG_0308
Hey guys, I got a new front tire today for ultra. To save a little money, I was told if I brought in the front tire/rim, I would save 40 bucks off the mounting. Tat way they didn't have to the take the front end apart. So I pulled my front tire/rim off the scoot and I took it to the stealership. Before I went down I removed the front disks to clean then.

I got home and couldn’t remember if the two balance weight on the disks, if they are on opposite ends of the rim, or if I line them up together, across from each other, or if it makes a difference. I called the stealership and they told me to make sure they are lined up across fro each other.

Well I went for a ride and there is a vibration in the dront end and the scooter doesn’t feel right.

Any ideas
Always have wheels balanced with rotors/sprockets attached...I am surprised your tire man didn't bring it up, when you brought the wheel in with rotors removed.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 11bDad
I can tell you after spending 31 yrs in the tire business that just because a tire is balanced, it doesn't mean it's round. Have them check the run-out with a dial indicator. There are tolerances for out of roundness and a procedure to follow to determine if it's tire or wheel related.
Good to know.

fwiw, over the past 15 years or so I have done most of my own tire changes in my garage and as long as I lined the yellow dot up with the valve stem I have never had a need to add/remove/relocate the wheel weights that were place on the wheel, either from the factory or by an earlier tire installer.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:12 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool stealership

Originally Posted by HOG_0308
Hey guys, I got a new front tire today for ultra. To save a little money, I was told if I brought in the front tire/rim, I would save 40 bucks off the mounting. Tat way they didn't have to the take the front end apart. So I pulled my front tire/rim off the scoot and I took it to the stealership. Before I went down I removed the front disks to clean then.

I got home and couldn’t remember if the two balance weight on the disks, if they are on opposite ends of the rim, or if I line them up together, across from each other, or if it makes a difference. I called the stealership and they told me to make sure they are lined up across fro each other.

Well I went for a ride and there is a vibration in the dront end and the scooter doesn’t feel right.

Any ideas
its called a dealership, do we call you a dumbass rider who cannot figure out a weight grow up

Old 01-22-2011, 11:16 AM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the help guy, im going back today

Old 01-22-2011, 01:18 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Never heard of balance weights on rotors!

Old 01-22-2011, 01:32 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,005 Likes on 17,908 Posts

I've had big trouble with shops doing the spin balance on tires , I put a set of ThunderStar mags on with new tires and had them spun 3 times and they were still wrong . Ended up doing it the old fashion way , static balance with dry bearing on a stand . Not the first time for this so I just do it myself anymore tired of spending money for nothing .

Old 01-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you called my shop a "stealership" I wouldn't bother explaining it to you correctly either.

Rotors don't have wheel weights, and you balance the entire assembly, wheels, tire, and rotors together.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:04 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts
Old 01-22-2011, 06:18 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharknose
Good to know.

fwiw, over the past 15 years or so I have done most of my own tire changes in my garage and as long as I lined the yellow dot up with the valve stem I have never had a need to add/remove/relocate the wheel weights that were place on the wheel, either from the factory or by an earlier tire installer.
You are either the luckiest person alive... Or your tires are out of balance. I'd bet on the latter.

Quick Reply: Balance front tire Question