General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more H.O.G. Fly n Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 02:29 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat_Boy
I was attempting to plan a trip last week (that I'll be taking in june) and couldn't find anything on HOG's website about fly and ride. Their site just linked to the normal bike rentals without any of the perks. So I'm assuming they did discontinue it and just brought it back.

EDIT: Actually I just checked the website now and while it says "fly and ride" the perks it lists are the same you'd get with any rental. And it just links you to hdrentals.com.
It is combined with the HD Rental Service. But when you reserve through the HOG web site, or the HOG phone number, you get a better rate. The HOG rate. By combining the two, you have more choices. You now can rent for shorter and longer times. Before, with HOG if you wanted to rent for just one day, you could not. With the new program, you now can rent for one day or one month. The choice is yours.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Fat_Boy
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
It is combined with the HD Rental Service. But when you reserve through the HOG web site, or the HOG phone number, you get a better rate. The HOG rate. By combining the two, you have more choices. You now can rent for shorter and longer times. Before, with HOG if you wanted to rent for just one day, you could not. With the new program, you now can rent for one day or one month. The choice is yours.
Ok, I get it now. I was expecting to just go on the website and see the HOG rate but you have to put in all your information first. Do you know how much of a discount it is?

Old 01-22-2011, 02:11 PM
UltraRiderLee
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new program will cost more plus the insurances will be extra. I have utilized the old Fly and Ride program in both Florida and New Mexico and the daily rate for a touring bike was $100/day. The Authorized Rental Rate at the local dealership that did NOT participate in Fly and Ride was $150/day plus insurance. I see little upside under the new program.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:42 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I went to Vegas in Nov to be trained as a Riders Edge Instructor.

The 2 RE Instructor Trainers are Reginal Managers for the MOCO and have responsibilities that cover H-D Rentals and a couple other things.

As I understood from what we were told by one of them, H-D had 2 separate rental areas...one was "fly and ride" and the other was H-D "authorized rentals". For instance, a dealer might have rentals, but may not be a part of the f&r program.

She told us the rentals were being discontinued (for financial reasons - expensive for dealers to maintain fleet, thus not enough return to warrant the expense) beginning of 2011. I did not "hear" her say or get the impression she meant the F&R was getting the axe - just the rentals.

Looks to me like some of the Dealers in areas where F&R's would be warranted or to accommodate the Dealers that had relatively successful rental fleets - the MOCO just "combined" the 2 divisions - opting to continue to use the fly and ride name.

Hope that helps....

Old 01-22-2011, 05:59 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, They still use the fly n ride name , but it aint the same anymore. Hog fly n ride was$100. per day. I was gonna go do the fly ride in Anchorage AK this summer, But their normal rent rate is $250.per day for E Glide, Hog member can get 20 0/0 off. That brings cost to $180 per day. So, I just said f ck it, and aint gonna go. Prices will vary at different deallers. Yeah I got the same email from HOG stating how much better the club is for 2011,, that's abunch of bull ****, my opinion.

Last edited by cowboy Harry; 01-22-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:10 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the only reason i have h.o.g. membership is for roadside assistance. come to find out, i can add it to my progressive policy for $10 a year and trip interruption insurance for $5 more. who needs an h-d cheer leader magazine?

Old 01-23-2011, 10:40 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I just paid $120/day for a RGU rental in Phoenix through the Fly 'n Ride program. It's not as good of a deal as it used to be, but it's still better than nothing.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:45 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by knewt5
It definitely said it was still on in my 2011 HOG package
Yes I Just double checked and they do have it for 2011.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:47 PM
henlan
Novice
Default Fly & Ride is DEAD

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Yes I Just double checked and they do have it for 2011.
They can "CALL" it whatever they want... but the HOG Fly & Ride is DEAD. I rented for one day - next week (Feb 2011) and the ONE day price is $218 with all fees.

They can say they have combined the program- to make it more convenient, but you are now essentially renting from the dealer. And in renting from the dealer you cover all the dealer stuff- extra insurance etc.

I am planning an Alaska Trip also- my rental would have been $700 for the week. Now it is around $1800! I wish Eagle Rider had an outlet up there. (They don't)

PS- We also now have "Free Healthcare" in the USA!

Old 01-24-2011, 06:49 PM
henlan
Novice

Originally Posted by Fat_Boy
Ok, I get it now. I was expecting to just go on the website and see the HOG rate but you have to put in all your information first. Do you know how much of a discount it is?
The rate is more than doubled (for a bagger) and the discount is 20% at some dealers.

Quick Reply: No more H.O.G. Fly n Ride?