General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15% Ethanol Approved by EPA

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 05:15 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had to run 10% forever due to the shadow of the city north of me. I haven't noticed any problems with the exception of the learning curve that this stuff can not sit in high humidity. I maintain my stuff and I change fuel filters regularly. I have not noticed any changes except some mpg decrease. I would rather run gas. But I will run whatever including 15% ethanol because pushing these bikes, cars, and trucks sucks. I will do preventative maintenance and keep on enjoying my ride.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:16 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can do better with the 100-octane unleaded fuel if it's available locally...Another option is the 100LL Av Gas (Aviation Gas). The 100 Unleaded is running close to $6/gal...Don't know about the Av Gas...The octane boosters do have some lubricants that can keep the seals and o-rings from going to hell in a handbasket quickly but it is wise to do an inspection of the parts at least every 2-years.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SportsterBob
There is a workaround for the soon the be E15 gasoline in the older carb engines...You can add some Marvel Mystery Oil to your fuel (.4-oz/gal) to keep the O-rings/seals from cracking...The EFI engines should be good to go.
If that really works can they just not add it in at the pump themselves and make the worries go away, I have not had any trouble with my bike or cars with 10% but it reeks havoc on my John Deer mower and all my small engines that have plastic gas tanks such as my chain saw, my weed eater, and blower and such. I have Carburetor trouble all the time with this 10% and am tired of taking apart the carb and cleaning it every time I want to use something. Their has to be a better alternative out there that has a decent shelf life than this crap. I wonder if Stabil would help sometimes and then I get pissed about having to worry about it at all. Al Gore even admitted that it was a bad idea and that he was only courting the farm vote when he pushed it trough to begin with.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The reason there are problems with ethanol is because alcohol attracts water. The marinas here on the coast are having one hell of a time with it. Boat mechanics love it, if that tells you anything.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:53 PM
zimman20
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The EPA needs to be de-funded/dismantled. As always with Govco - the EPA was a good idea gone way, way too far.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:58 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Well people remember these bastards at election time. In the mean time if anyone knows of a national revolt please let me know. I'm way past sick of this ****.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:03 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ALL my small engines sit with dry tanks and bowls. I drain the gas and run the engine dry if it is going to sit more than a week. Generators, lawn mowers, weed eaters, chain saws, and outboards. I spray a light coat of fogging oil in them if I am going to store them more than a month.They always start when I need them and the fuel lines don't rot off as fast. If I store gas it is used in a month or less. This mixed crap has an affinity for moisture and the humidity is always high here on the coast. I have noticed the people that have the most trouble leave gas in their tanks and let it sit. Just how I do it and it works for me. Like I stated there was a learning curve with this crap but once you figure out how to use it and how not to store it then it gets easier. I always use Stabil in everything but the cars and trucks if it stores any gas. I can't drain the boat tanks that are built in but I do run the carbs dry with a fuel shut off valve still.
Originally Posted by Just Dave
If that really works can they just not add it in at the pump themselves and make the worries go away, I have not had any trouble with my bike or cars with 10% but it reeks havoc on my John Deer mower and all my small engines that have plastic gas tanks such as my chain saw, my weed eater, and blower and such. I have Carburetor trouble all the time with this 10% and am tired of taking apart the carb and cleaning it every time I want to use something. Their has to be a better alternative out there that has a decent shelf life than this crap. I wonder if Stabil would help sometimes and then I get pissed about having to worry about it at all. Al Gore even admitted that it was a bad idea and that he was only courting the farm vote when he pushed it trough to begin with.

Last edited by oldairboater; 01-22-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Rick-e
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw on the news that dealers will opt for it (or not) and if they do decide to offer the E15 it will cost them to add new tanks, pumps, signage, etc. That may help delay widespread implementation.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:15 PM
scasey
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be curious to hear a comment from some of the guys from Brazil about this because it is very abundant down there. I have not had any fuel issues at all with the 10 percent stuff, not even a sputter.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:20 PM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

E-15 and gov't mandates, we are using 15% less gas and yet we are getting 15-20% less mileage? Is this a wash or? lets pump our static compression up to 11.00- 1 and burn ***** and listen to our rods bend. (water does not burn) hydrostatic combustion
We will need to reavaluate our tuning or adapt to less performance with this great fuel. Its only an opinion