General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15% Ethanol Approved by EPA

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 03:00 PM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr HOG
Here's a quote from one of the sites about the new approval.
"Motorcycles, heavy-duty vehicles and non-road engines aren’t allowed to use E-15." Sounds like they are going to have separate pumps for E15 and E10 since some vehicles can't use E15.

That aside, this whole ethanol thing is a big f*cking waste of time and money. The use of ethanol does nothing except faul up engines. The BO administation voted to increase the percentage just to help ethanol producing companies which are struggling. The sooner we get rid of this bad BO the better.
So now the E-10 pumps will be more expensive you can be sure.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Dragon5
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucky that we still have 1 gas station in town that uses real gas. I try to get there every chance I can for my bike.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm all for finding alternative fuels, but this whole ethanol thing is out of hand. I wonder what kind of warranty issues this mandate will lead to (and by issues I mean denials). And I guess folks with older vehicles are just SOL for any damage to their fuel system or engine.
Also, corn is food. Can't they make ethanol from kudzu or something useless and abundant?

Old 01-21-2011, 04:07 PM
SauerKraut
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ever noticed the mildew on your fuel door on your car. It rusts old fuel lines becasue its f**king water. My Ford f-150 v-6 gets 15mpg with 100% gas, 90% gas 10% ethonal mix drops it to 13mpg. I can only imagine what 15% will do. I mean who doesn't want to sell water at the agsoline price. If its such a good idea way can't you make your own ethanol without expensive permits. The whole thing is ***** and we can all bend over because it will happen.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:28 PM
05Hog
Road Captain

I buy and sell bike and I have never had so much problems as with the 10% they use now. That crap goes bad after sitting in the tanks. Forever cleaning carbs. Just another way for the Gov. to inject themselves into our lives.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:29 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

This doesn't surprise me at all. The EPA has been give a green light from obama. They will do everything they can to drive (literally) you to electric vehicles and the metro.

The new Congress can do something about this-investigations, defunding, etc., once they get their **** together.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Hocus-Pocus
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SauerKraut
Ever noticed the mildew on your fuel door on your car. It rusts old fuel lines becasue its f**king water. My Ford f-150 v-6 gets 15mpg with 100% gas, 90% gas 10% ethonal mix drops it to 13mpg. I can only imagine what 15% will do. I mean who doesn't want to sell water at the agsoline price. If its such a good idea way can't you make your own ethanol without expensive permits. The whole thing is ***** and we can all bend over because it will happen.
15% WILL make milage go down. I have a friend that has a truck that's "flex fuel". E85, I think is the right term. Gas milage with that SUCKS. E85 is water. nobama likes it though...

Old 01-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Bikenator
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since when does the EPA have the Constitutional authority to force anyone to buy anything? Hello?
This is not a regulation to benefit the Nation as a whole for public safety or security. It is borderline destructive to the overwhelming majority of motor vehicles in use in this Nation and its mandated use only serves to enrich an extremely small group of well-connected corn growers. These regulations are clearly less about energy independence than they are about the politics of BIG AGRICULTURE.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:05 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a workaround for the soon the be E15 gasoline in the older carb engines...You can add some Marvel Mystery Oil to your fuel (.4-oz/gal) to keep the O-rings/seals from cracking...The EFI engines should be good to go.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:09 PM
soulpony
Road Captain

So if we are going to have to deal with 15% ethenol, is there a product like octane booster that we can add to our gas that will compensate for the crap they make us fill our tanks with?