General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

group riding tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006 | 02:06 AM
signal
|
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default group riding tips

new harley owner (not a new rider) and was thinkin bout cruisin up to a local hog mtg to check out bikes and pick a few local brains. thought i might be interested in going on a group ride if we get along and was wondering if anyone had run across some good group riding tips on the web..

i've done some searching through past posts and found some good tips but was hoping there was a good 'group riding faq' that i may have missed.

Old 10-03-2006 | 02:10 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,246 Likes on 1,852 Posts
Default RE: group riding tips

Check HERE

Old 10-03-2006 | 02:56 AM
Pathfinder
Cruiser

Assuming you already understand the responsibilities of the Road Captain and Sweep Rider along with the common group riding signals, there are 4 things I always stress to everyone in the pre-ride meeting.

1. Respect the other riders and give them a good space cushion. Other riders may not appreciate tail gaters and folks riding up next to them to get their attention.

2. Who's riding your bike? You are. Never ride beyound you're abilitiy. If you're not comfortable where the group is going or how fast they ride pull out and ride solo. The sweep with make sure you're alright and you can continue at you're own pace.

3. Never ride outside the capability of your bike. Dressers don't do the Dragon like a crotch rocket. If you want a sport bike go get one.

4. Never challenge the road. The road always wins.

A lot of people, it seems like, forget about their basic riding skills when they get in a group. Most of us have seen it all too often. No matter how a good or proficient a rider that you think you are solo, group riding can be intimidating for some and requires more regimented skills.

As a little real advice, provided you want to get involved in HOG, ask the Safety Officer if they have any video instruction, handbooks, or seminars coming up on group riding. He will be more than happy to help with your needs and questions. Most chapters have materials on hand and classes scheduled once a year for group riding .

IMHO, group riding can be the best part of your riding experience.

Old 10-03-2006 | 10:58 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

heres a great site too. http://www.msgroup.org/DISCUSS.asp

Old 10-03-2006 | 11:32 AM
captainhawg
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get your pick, take the rear. That way you can see what is going on and clear out if need be. If you ride front, and something happens, and those behind you arent paying attention, you are going to get run over.....Another suggestion, don't ride for someone else, let them worry about themselves, you take care of yourself. You can't do anything for them if it goes down. Maintain your safety space around your bike, keep an eye out for an escape route. Scan the road ahead, and scan mirrors constantly. Never, Never, never, let down your guard, again , Never......Try not to ride with those you havent ridden much with. I used to ride with a motorcycle club, we had our positions in the group well staked out and could ride anywhere with no problems. We decided to go to the ROT Rally. A group from out of town wanted to ride with us, so we said ok. Well.... we didnt set out the guidelines and the other group just filtered in where they wanted. It was the most miserable, unsafe, messed up, (add your own adjective) ride I had ever been a part of. They got to arguing amongst themselves, riding down the road, on loud Harleys, arguing !!! I had a cassette tape bounce off my helmet when one of their group threw it away, on the road.....They all copped bad attitudes, for some reason.....When the rally was over and we were preparing to leave, the other group started forming up to ride home with us, our Prez, went over to them and told them we would be back as we had to go visit someone, or something, but we would be back. We loaded our stuff, left the grounds, took the scenic route home. We were back to our group, had a good ride......We heard later that they waited several hours for our return. They were pizzed.

Old 10-03-2006 | 11:38 AM
scrappy883r
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Pathfinder

2. Who's riding your bike? You are. Never ride beyound you're abilitiy. If you're not comfortable where the group is going or how fast they ride pull out and ride solo. The sweep with make sure you're alright and you can continue at you're own pace.
all were good tips. This one is so true my first large group ride we got caught in a heavy rain and then ran into road construction aka dirt. The first part of the group never really slowed down. I slowed down, my top speed for 20 miles was 40 miles per hour. the front of the group wait at the rest area for the rest of us.

Old 10-03-2006 | 11:42 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I avoid group rides when I can. Too much S**t can happen. One of the last rides I was on the guy in front of me pulls out his cell phone and makes a call. WTF!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-03-2006 | 02:13 PM
Unamed
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I see your in Colorado Im up in the Fort. If you want to ride with me and my chapter your more than welcome. The Hog chapter up here is a non-drinking chapter which helps eliminate alot of the danger.

Old 10-03-2006 | 03:51 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Great advice, thank you all.

Regards.

Old 10-03-2006 | 03:53 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have stopped riding in groups. too many new riders wanting to show off. If I do ride, I ride sweep.

Quick Reply: group riding tips