General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping bike from US to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:13 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Shipping bike from US to Canada

I am considering buying a bike in MD and shipping to Canada do to much more favorable prices in the US. What is the cheapest way to ship a bike?

One shipper I found will charge $550 to ship to the border, but crossing the border they add $1500 due to paper work. I am willing to do my own paperwork, any suggestions?

Old 01-20-2011, 11:34 AM
BCguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check this website. Lots of info on importing vehicles from US to Canada.

http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

$1500 to do "paperwork" sounds pretty excessive to me. You might want to check out doing it yourself.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:35 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah. Unless you got a screaming good deal, buy it in Canada. It is not just the BS at the boarder. A US bike is not compliat in Canada, dealers will not work on them or honor warranty unless they are brought up to Canadian specs. By the time all is said and done it may end up costing you more than the purchase price in Canada. I have several friends, in Canada, on another forum who have dealt w/ this not worth the time or money unless it is a really good buy

Old 01-20-2011, 12:08 PM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vet767
Yeah. Unless you got a screaming good deal, buy it in Canada. It is not just the BS at the boarder. A US bike is not compliat in Canada, dealers will not work on them or honor warranty unless they are brought up to Canadian specs. By the time all is said and done it may end up costing you more than the purchase price in Canada. I have several friends, in Canada, on another forum who have dealt w/ this not worth the time or money unless it is a really good buy
I have to correct you here. Harleys are compliant in both Canada and the US. The only ones I have heard of that have any issues are the Nightsters with the side mount taillight and plate - the tail light / signal light configuration is not compliant with Canadian standards and needs to be replaced. Other than that, I haven't heard of any other models being non-compliant and I've purchased several from the states.

OP - give Carson Customs, HH Smith, or Livingston Customs a call. It shouldn't cost you more than $350 for the paperwork. It is fairly easy to do yourself if you are so inclined, but US Customs requires the original Bill of Sale at the Port of Entry a minimum of 3 working days prior to the vehicle arriving at the border. You need to get the stamped release from US Customs prior to proceeding to Canada Customs or the bike will be refused entry. This is to allow US Customs to run the serial number and ensure that it isn't stolen. Definitely research the requirements on the www.riv.ca website.

As far a warranty goes, Vet 767 is correct. It's a bitch trying to get the Canadian dealers to work on a US bike under warranty. What I ended up doing was calling Milwaukee and getting authorization for an indy to perform warranty work on my bikes.

With regards to saving money, I have saved a minimum of $3000 on each of the bikes I have purchased and imported, so it is definitely worth it. I'm looking at an '09 Nighttrain now that the seller is willing to let go for $12,600 USF. I can't touch a domestic model here for under $18,000.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:30 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do Canadians get robbed the same way when they buy american cars and trucks?

Old 01-20-2011, 12:45 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for the info all, especially iceman. With the dollar at parity now prices on used cars and bikes are up to 50% less - typically 40% less in the US than locally - not including shipping. Lots of people making a business of buying used cars and bikes and reselling locally. The price differences don't make sense to me.

Eg. of local prices: 2007 Nighttrain for $14K, 2005 Electro Glide $15000 with 40K miles.

I don't care about warranty since the bike I am thinking of buying a used bike and I do my own mechanical work anyway. The only change required to make a US bike or car legal in Canada is to swap the speedometer for a metric one, or on a bike with a digital speedometer, just flick a hidden switch.

Anyone know of a reputable business in Maine where I could have the bike delivered by the transport company and then go pick it up myself a week or so latter? Preferably the Calais, ME area or nearby.

Last edited by fat_tony; 01-20-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Ramona
Cruiser

Did this last year........
British Columbia......motorcycles over 15 yrs old - no federal inspection required.
Provincial inspection required......cost - $100.
UShip.....hundreds of shipping quotes e-mailed......$380. from Colorado to Blaine Washington. Have the seller mail the paperwork to you...do not ship the original paperwork and the motorcycle together.

Copies of your Bill of Sale, State Registration, and Manufacture Statement of Origin (if needed....eg S&S motor) American Export Permit, must be at the American border crossing of your choice at least 72 hours before cross with your purchased motorcycle. You must have the original paperwork with you at this time.

GST, is payable at the Canadian Customs when you enter Canada.
PST is payable when you register/licence the bike.

It sounds complicated, but it is not...
I'll be importing 4-6 Harleys a year.....
Par dollar......

Old 01-20-2011, 02:28 PM
07ntrain
Tourer
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

I shipped a harley last year from oregon to nova scotia, total shipping was $1195.00, $220 for the broker and gst paid at the border, the bike came right to my house, i would do it again ina second, way cheaper and my dealer set most of it up for me, im gonna do it again soon with a seadoo.and BTW, i didnt need to change anything, speedo stayed the same, nothing changed, jusy got an inspection a]in town for free.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:16 PM
teflon
Road Captain

Have brought a few back recently, picked the bike up, drove back to the Canadian side, declared bike showed all reciepts and paperwork, paid the duty and was told to take the bike to a certified canadian depot for the initial clearance and cert. (Canadian Tire) what they did was put a removable sticker on the speedo that shows KM's then it went for a safety at the place of my choice. Thats it man. If warranty is no issue even better. Its not the dealers that are killin us its Deely and until they stop being greedy more are gonna shop over there. Teflon

Old 01-20-2011, 03:44 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 07ntrain
I shipped a harley last year from oregon to nova scotia, total shipping was $1195.00, $220 for the broker and gst paid at the border, the bike came right to my house, i would do it again ina second, way cheaper and my dealer set most of it up for me, im gonna do it again soon with a seadoo.and BTW, i didnt need to change anything, speedo stayed the same, nothing changed, jusy got an inspection a]in town for free.
Just wondering who you used? Transport? Broker?

Quick Reply: Shipping bike from US to Canada