General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CrossBones or not to Crossbone

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011 | 07:20 AM
Zakk13
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default CrossBones or not to Crossbone

Ok guys as most of you might know ive been thinking of trading my 09 Nighttrain for a 11 Crossbones. Well the dealer called me and just told me he has just got a black one in like i was looking for. He also told me the CrossBones is now being discontinued!! I guess my biggest concern is getting a discontinued bike will have negative issues like springer mateinence issues and trade value and aftermarket goodies coming to a hault for the bike and who knows what else.. I know it affects trade because when i was wheeling and dealing with my Train that was the dealers excuse.. they keep saying "well we only can give you this much because it is a discontinued model". Also the reason im even thinking of trading is because i have a jacked up lower back and the mini apes,floor boards and fatter front tire just make for a more comfortable ride. I thought about just adding the apes and stuff to the Train and making it comfortable but for the money it will cost it seems better just to get the new bike with all the stuff i need on it already..plus it will be a new bike with new warranty and such! Any last thoughts on this would be appreciated!!! Keep the Train or get the Bones??

Old 01-20-2011 | 07:32 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

Trains are wicked-cool bikes, bro. Forget the fugly, awkward looking bike using 70-year-old technology for a front suspension.

Old 01-20-2011 | 07:39 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

i just don't like the cross-bones, it's trying too hard to be something it's not imo.

Old 01-20-2011 | 07:56 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member

09 was the last year of the Night Train. If you want the springer put one on the Train they look really good that way. I have been looking for a factory springer for mine for a year now. May get another bike but will always have the Night Train, it will be handed down to one of my sons.

As for parts my friend has a 96 (?) Bad Boy and he can still get parts, heck I can buy parts for my 87 Lowrider from the dealer today.

Old 01-20-2011 | 08:02 AM
NickD
Road Master

If you really want one don't let the fact it's discontinued stop you. Anything aftermarket for a softail will work on a XB and if you did need anything for the springer any decent machine shop could turn it out. As for the motor there's nothing different there than any other modern Harley. Heck, there's guys out there still riding Flatheads and the MOCO discontinued those in 1948!

Old 01-20-2011 | 08:22 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

You've asked this same question several different times and ways. It sounds like you're ready to do it, just unable to move off the dime.

To address some of your concerns: there will be zero problems with parts and maintenance support for the Crossbones for any foreseeable time frame. If the bike doesn't come back to Harley's lineup, at a certain point in time "Genuine" accessories will be in short supply. The flip-side to this is that in the short term high volume dealers will be dumping the products at bargain prices. For example, when the Springer Classic was discontinued, I bought a bunch of tour bags, emblems, fender trim, etc for resale. I was able to buy this stuff brand new off of ebay for about 10-20% of retail. If you look now, these same items are selling for about twice what original retail was (too bad I've already sold most of it).

As far as aftermarket support is concerned that shouldn't be a worry either. For the unique parts to a Crossbones (that aren't standard big twin or standard Softail) there will be plenty of suppliers for things like fenders, seats, etc. In general most parts that fit other Softails will work for a Crossbones as well.

When attempting a trade-in typically the dealer will tell you whatever they need to justify a lower offer. Discontinued can also mean rare and hard to come by.

The subjective side of the question comes down to personal preference. In my experience the Crossbones tends to appeal to riders that can relate to the styling cues it has. The "duck-tail" rear fender is what upsets most people that don't like the bike, but it was one of the things that attracted me in the first place. That fender first appeared on a factory Harley with the 1980 WG and had the same impact then as if a stock Harley appeared today with a Heartland or Roland Sands kit. Far freakin' out. The minute I saw the 1980 WG I knew I had to have one. They were so popular I couldn't get one until 1981, and this was long before the yuppies showed up!

What constitutes the "mainstream" of Harley design these days are the bikes that were created for the yuppies in the 80s or 90s. If that's where your tastes lie there is no shortage of those bikes to buy. The Crossbones is way out of that mainstream line-up and not for everyone.

I'd recommend riding a few hundred miles on a Crossbones to check out the comfort. I'm 62 and I ride mine to Sturgis. About 1550 miles one way and a 2 day trip for me. The rain protection isn't the best (not a Dresser) but the comfort is great.

I think I've said before that I have both a Night Train and a Crossbones. I love the 'Train, but the Crossbones is a lot more fun to ride.

You'll be happy either way, make a good choice.

Old 01-20-2011 | 08:23 AM
Zakk13
|
Stellar HDF Member

Im just considering trading like i said because of my jacked up lower back! just think floor boards and and mini apes would be more comfy wont be stretched out and leaning forward like the drag bars,forward controls and bad lander seat do to my back! If i put different seat and floorboard on the Train i just think it wouldnt look right! Also considerd getting a Deluxe but just think its to fancy for my taste i liked the blacked out look better!

Old 01-20-2011 | 08:31 AM
Zakk13
|
Stellar HDF Member

Daddy Knuck i really appreciate your long detailed responce! Since you have both i noticed you said the Bones is more fun to ride.. But i would imagine it is more comfy then the train if you could tell me what one you think is more comfy let me know! im 6ft 225lbs if that helps! The train hurts the lower back on longish rides gotta constantly stop and take breaks!

Old 01-20-2011 | 08:32 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member

I wouldn't be concerned with fact the Crossbones is being discoutinued.

Old 01-20-2011 | 08:34 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member

The Train IMO is one of the best looking bike ever made. IMO the Crossbones is not good looking at all. Keep the Train.

Quick Reply: CrossBones or not to Crossbone