General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CrossBones or not to Crossbone

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011 | 09:51 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Zakk13
Daddy Knuck i really appreciate your long detailed responce! Since you have both i noticed you said the Bones is more fun to ride.. But i would imagine it is more comfy then the train if you could tell me what one you think is more comfy let me know! im 6ft 225lbs if that helps! The train hurts the lower back on longish rides gotta constantly stop and take breaks!
My NT beats me up a little as well, but I've lowered the rear suspension. Once you get the seat on the Crossbones set up for your height (I'm just under 6'3") it is a lot more comfortable than the NT. When I first got the Bones I had the stock seat and it seemed to push me too far forward and crowded my long legs. I swapped out the seat for an Army seat (just a 1925 in brown with a few extra rivets) and moved the seat to the rearward position. All the difference in the world. I also put on the low bars primarily because I liked the look, but I actually think it is more comfortable. On trips I always use a windshield as well.

Before heading out to Sturgis last year everyone told me that the bike was going to beat me up. It was great for long days on the highway and other than the rain protection I think it's an excellent touring bike.

Old 01-20-2011 | 10:34 AM
Zakk13
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
My NT beats me up a little as well, but I've lowered the rear suspension. Once you get the seat on the Crossbones set up for your height (I'm just under 6'3") it is a lot more comfortable than the NT. When I first got the Bones I had the stock seat and it seemed to push me too far forward and crowded my long legs. I swapped out the seat for an Army seat (just a 1925 in brown with a few extra rivets) and moved the seat to the rearward position. All the difference in the world. I also put on the low bars primarily because I liked the look, but I actually think it is more comfortable. On trips I always use a windshield as well.

Before heading out to Sturgis last year everyone told me that the bike was going to beat me up. It was great for long days on the highway and other than the rain protection I think it's an excellent touring bike.
Thanks brother for the info! Sounds like the Crossbones is more comfy but i deffinetly want to take it for a ride before i make my up my mind.

Old 01-20-2011 | 11:13 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

If you want a new Cross Bones, you better get moving. They've been discontinued for 2012 and will soon be gone.

Old 01-20-2011 | 11:16 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

+1 for the bones.

Old 01-20-2011 | 11:26 AM
oct1949
Club Member

If U like it,, just go for it..
As time goes on I really like the springer. May have to check the springs more often but U don't have to change the fork oil.

For me I don't like the fenders on the bones, seems the small front and custom rear is just out of place on it. For me a springer and solo seat needs the full sized ones to look more ole school.

Really I don't care for that rear fender style on any bike. just me.

Old 01-20-2011 | 11:36 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Zakk13
I know it affects trade because when i was wheeling and dealing with my Train that was the dealers excuse.. they keep saying "well we only can give you this much because it is a discontinued model".

Dealer is full of ****, discontinued means more money (reduces the supply).

Old 01-20-2011 | 11:46 AM
Zakk13
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
Dealer is full of ****, discontinued means more money (reduces the supply).
I agree with you! Dealers will tell you anything! Well one dealer at least is offering me a good deal.. Giving me 14,000 for my Train all the other dealers where offering 12500. Well they cant use that excuse now anyway because the Bones is now discontinued also.

Old 01-20-2011 | 12:26 PM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member

I think you should stick with the Night Train. It really is a nice bike. I really do like them and had a hell of a time choosing between them. Best part is, you won't have to put up with people in a forum saying how ugly they are, or how they are trying to be something the are not, and how it has 70 year old technology that nobody wants like a Cross Bones. One more benefit... you won't have people walking up to you face to face saying things like; "Now THAT is what a Harley should look like, I just love the springer front ends" or "Now that looks bad ***, I know it's a Harley, but what model is it?"

In all seriousness, I think you will find the 'Bones more comfortable if you have back problems. I noticed that when I sat on both when shopping. Just buy or keep what you want because no matter what you get, someone will pick it apart for whatever reason they want, some of us just choose not to go that route when someone asks an opinion.

One more thing, **** on that dealer.

Last edited by Ratster; 01-20-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-20-2011 | 12:32 PM
Zakk13
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Geoff
If you want a new Cross Bones, you better get moving. They've been discontinued for 2012 and will soon be gone.
Thats what blows about the whole situation! Part of the reason im asking for opinions. Wanted to take my time with the decision and take the Bones for a couple of rides before i make my mind up. Based on the way the bones is set up with floor boards , seat , mini apes and fat tire i was just assuming it would be more comfy then the Night Train! Seems tho my assumtion was confermed by DaddyKnuck about the comfort of the Bones! I also was looking at the Deluxe for better comfort also but i think its just too fancy of a bike for me! Maybe if they come out with a blacked out Deluxe im not willing to spend that much more money to do it on my own tho!!

Old 01-20-2011 | 12:40 PM
Zakk13
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ratster
I think you should stick with the Night Train. It really is a nice bike. I really do like them and had a hell of a time choosing between them. Best part is, you won't have to put up with people in a forum saying how ugly they are, or how they are trying to be something the are not, and how it has 70 year old technology that nobody wants like a Cross Bones. One more benefit... you won't have people walking up to you face to face saying things like; "Now THAT is what a Harley should look like, I just love the springer front ends" or "Now that looks bad ***, I know it's a Harley, but what model is it?"

In all seriousness, I think you will find the 'Bones more comfortable if you have back problems. I noticed that when I sat on both when shopping. Just buy or keep what you want because no matter what you get, someone will pick it apart for whatever reason they want, some of us just choose not to go that route when someone asks an opinion.

One more thing, **** on that dealer.
Thank you bro thats what i want to know is about the comfort! Both bikes look great to me so its a wash in that department.. Its all about comfort and the train aint that comfy!! And why dump tons of money making the Train comfy when i could just get a new bike for almost the same extra money difference thats already done.. plus geta 2 year warranty back(not that harleys really need it)... Im glad you get those complaments on your CrossBones they really are sweet looking esp in person!!

Last edited by Zakk13; 01-20-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: CrossBones or not to Crossbone