Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer Accuracy...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Motorbones
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had my metric, I compared it to both a Magellan and a Garmin. The two GPSs read exactly the same. I do know the speedos on metrics are deliberately set high. I'm sure the LEOs make sure their bikes are properly calibrated. I'd to get cited by a LEO that clocked me with a bike speedo that was running up to 10% high!!!

Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 PM
creepster
Advanced

My speedo shows 2-3 MPH fast compared to the GPS. Other than using this information to moderate my speed I haven't done anything about it.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are two factors at play here: liability and laws.

In the U.S. I am not aware of any specific legal requirement regarding speedometer accuracy. However, because a speedometer which reads low by design could open the manufacturer up to liability claims, there is a tendency to engineer them to read slightly high.

In the EU there are specific requirements. As I've posted to other forums:
European Union Directive 2000/7/EC set the requirements for speedometer accuracy.

There are two main requirements when tested:
1. That indicated speed is never below actual speed.
2. That indicated speed is never above 110%+4 km/h of actual speed.

For actual production motorcycles and motor tricycles, the upper limit increases to 110%+8 km/h (but remains 110%+4 km/h for mopeds).

So for a production motorcycle rolling at an actual 80 MPH, the indicated speed can't be below 80 MPH, and can't be above 92.97 MPH.

As this upper limit is 16.2% higher than actual, a built-in 8% error puts a motorcycle with 8% error built in firmly in the middle of the legal range at highway speeds (as is the case with my Ducati, where the manual specifically states that the speedometer is designed to read high by 8%).

Link: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...00L0007:EN:NOT

Interestingly, it's been found by one of the automotive magazines (I don't remember which) that American speedometers tend to be the most accurate, reading slightly below actual to within 2% above. Japanese speedometers tend to read bit higher. European makes' speedometers, especially BMW, tend to read very high.

That said, while my Ducati reads high by the advertised 8%, my Harley reads high by maybe 2%, and my Pontiac's speed reads dead on.

Last edited by Ovaltine Jenkins; 01-20-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:50 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Speedo & GPS

My bike speedo is off 5%...When it reads 100, the GPS reads 95.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:07 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My speedo seems to be about 5 % less than the actual speed. When it reads 100, actual speed is more like 105. I think this may be the result of gearing changes and that the speedo is no longer calibrated.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Motorbones
Road Master

Changing the diameter of your rear tire will also change the accuracy of the reading. The larger the tire, the more your reading slows down. Some of the metric people put a larger tire on the rear in the effort to make it more accurate. The other side of the coin is that as your speedometer slows down, so does your odometer. The added benefit to going this route to correct it is that if you put a larger tire on the rear, your motor will need a little less RPM to to get up to the same actual speed as before which can mean a little less wear and tear on your motor...

Last edited by Motorbones; 01-20-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:24 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,967 Likes on 17,892 Posts

Well on my old bike the speedo lies like a cheating wife , always has when they worked at all . I figure the one I have now is 15 -20 under actual speed , I've always ridden by feel for highway speeds anyway and when checked I'm always within 5 MPH .

Old 01-21-2011, 10:53 AM
marines267
Tourer

Originally Posted by Motorbones
When I owned my Meric, the bike had a notorious reputation of being as much as 10% off on speedometer accuracy (which was high... go figure). Of course there were multiple postings on the subject including the two ways to correct it. The first was to install a Speedohealer (correction device) to to upgrade the front pulley to what was called an overdrive pulley from Scootworks. I installed the pulley and speedometer came to within 1% accuracy when checked against two different GPS devices.

I noticed the speedometer on my FLHR is about 2-4% high and I haven't checked the odometer yet. Has anyone else out there who uses a GPS found their speedometer to be off and if so did you do anything to correct the situation? Personally I don't think mine is off enough for me to star messing around with things. (Just another one of those winter discussions).....
winter do you only ride during the winter what about summer? anyway if i am doing 80 my speedometer is off 5 miles from GPS if i am doing 60 it is only off about 2 miles from GPS for me its not enough to mess with

Old 01-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My speedometer was reading about 2-3% high compared to my GPS. I calibrated it with the TTS Mastertune and now it matches the GPS exactly.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:16 AM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2008 FLHX, the speedo always read 3 MPH higher than the GPS. After I installed a Thunder Max the speedo and GPS matched.

Quick Reply: Speedometer Accuracy...