General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone ride while taking blood thinner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 12:01 AM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

64 years old and on thinners since stent 10 years ago. Dr. said ok to ride both m/c and long distance bicycle. Problem with internal injury or head injury and bleeding---so I try to avoid those!

Old 01-20-2011, 02:55 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,670 Likes on 2,540 Posts

When I had stents put in 6 years ago,and puit on Plavix & then Coumadin, my dr. said don't ride a motorcycle,play any sports, or shave unless you use an electric razor. The 2 years ago I was on Coumadin again for A-Fib for a couple months. He never mentioned the no riding thing;I guess he knew me by then. Told him I could deal with the sports & shaving thing, but forget about the no riding.

Next time you're at the drug store, pick up one of those "medic alert" bracelets or necklaces;one that says "blood thinners", so if you should start bleeding, the paramedics know to give you vitamin K, which is the antidote.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:42 AM
DMacLeod
Road Captain

Good for you still riding at 72. God bless ya.

I am of the belief that you come into life with a time card. Start time and end time already written on it. When the big man pulls your card it is time to go,nothing ya can do about it.

Again, Congratulations on riding at 72. I hope I am still able to when I reach that age. (22 more years)

Old 01-20-2011, 06:02 AM
Fnortner
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
When I had stents put in 6 years ago,and puit on Plavix & then Coumadin, my dr. said don't ride a motorcycle,play any sports, or shave unless you use an electric razor. The 2 years ago I was on Coumadin again for A-Fib for a couple months. He never mentioned the no riding thing;I guess he knew me by then. Told him I could deal with the sports & shaving thing, but forget about the no riding.

Next time you're at the drug store, pick up one of those "medic alert" bracelets or necklaces;one that says "blood thinners", so if you should start bleeding, the paramedics know to give you vitamin K, which is the antidote.
Me too dickey, with the stents and the afib and the plavix then Coumadin. I gotta get a medic alert bracelet before this riding season. Because I am by god going to ride. I was also told don't get in any fights. Blows to the head can be deadly. Well ok, I won't start any....

Old 01-20-2011, 06:20 AM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I have been on coumadin for 11 years now and I just watch out more! The cardio guy knows I ride since I show up for appointments on it. I do have a medic alert tag so when they get to me,,, IF I FALL DOWN AND GO BOOM!"" they understand. Hell if we did things so safe all the time, hell I would never be allowed to get out of the house!

Old 01-20-2011, 06:52 AM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good for you. Keep on riding. I'll be riding till I can no longer get my leg over the seat. Then I'll get a trike and crawl on...lol

Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by wodell
I am a funeral director/embalmer,and I take 11mg of warfarin dailey. I still ride and will continue to ride, my theory is when its your time to die you will when the big man upstairs pulls your card. Whether you riding or whatever... So enjoy life and ride.
I've heard the time to go thing before but, if your on a small plane and it's the pilots time to go,and you can't fly a plane, by default does it also become yours?.,,

Old 01-20-2011, 07:37 AM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey

This is the best advice given. I was a Firefighter/EMT and rode with the local Vol. Ambulance Corp., My son is a Police Paramedic. Between us we have seen our share of Bike and motor vehicle accidents. I won't tell you to ride or not to ride. Your choice, your life. I will tell you that my Dad was on Warfarin at the age of 75. I was his care giver after mom was gone when Dad had a bad stroke. When ever I took him to the Dentist for a teeth cleaning we had to stop the thinner for 3 days prior to his appointment. His "*******" Doctor did a colonoscopy and removed 3 polyps without taking him off the Warfarin (he said I never told him he was on thinners...BS) and Dad nearly bled to death. Get a Medic Alert Bracelet good idea to wear it all the time. Keep the shinny side up and you shouldn't have a problem, but if you do and your not able to let the medics/first responders know about the thinners a minor event could cause you to lose your life.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 AM
SportsterPapa
Cruiser
Talking Some of us take **** that is probably worse than the crap you're taking...

Lots of folks frequent this forum. I would guess there are plenty of strange Med's being ingested every day.
If it's a question of "I am really doped up, should I ride?"
Then I guess I would say maybe get a "Trike".
But if the crap you take doesn't have you seeing things or rocking your head back and forth (when there is no music); I would say just ride.
Focus and twist the throttle...

Old 01-20-2011, 10:55 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Plavix and a bunch more. Scrath myself and bleed like a stuck pig. Ain't gonna quit riding for no one or nuthin. Hope I get to be your age, even if it's a trike it beats the chit outta nuthin

Quick Reply: Does anyone ride while taking blood thinner?