General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a Ticket for Pipes at Charity Poker Run!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Gqchris
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a Ticket for Pipes at Charity Poker Run!

Ok Guys,

This has to be a classic! Me and my roomate attended the Burn Out Poker Run out in Newport Beach on Sunday. Huge event, like 600 bikes. All the proceeds go to help kids that are burn victims and also the local Fire Depts, Fire Authority etc etc.

Run starts at 8:30 am. Cursing off the freeway down Macarthur, take a turn into the shopping center where the meet up point is. Look behind us, jack @ss lights us up. We pull over, he asks for the usual, and tells us he is stopping us for modfied exhaust. Comments on how he likes my paintt job, and takes our info back to his car. Now, this is the great part, hundered of bikes are cruising by us! Drag pipes, choppers with pipes the size of sewer pipes, you name it its coming by! I am laughing my *** off, and wondering what the hell we did to **** this guy off . We werent speeding, we both have slip ons, and we keeping off the throttles.

He calls for backup, three other cars arrive. I guess he is a lil scared of BIG BAD bikers! None talk to us.

I was glad my roommate convinced me to go with the DOT helmet for the run, seeming that it was alot of bikes etc etc. Or that would have been another ticket.

Anyways, he comes back to car, I ask him, "You know what event is today right?" he replies, "No?'. I told him what it was. His reply, "Well I appreciate the cause, but not the noise". I tell him he is going to be busy today with noise because there are alot of bikes coming!

Anyways, to everyone who asked us about the ticket and offered advice at the run, thanks, and nice meeting you! I did not let it ruin my day, just is amazing the city puts on this event and then busts you for showing up! Run was awesome, BEAUTful riding!

I asked all the Newport BEach PD"s officers and moto cops at the event and the other citys other officers what they thought about the ticket, they could'nt believe we got pulled over!

So if anyone has any advice on this bullshat ticket, please let me know! It is for Vehicle Code 27151 (A), Modified Exhaust/Amplified Noise. It is NOT marked Correctable , I heard it is a straight fine these days and not a fix it ticket, it also goes on your driving record ????? I am fighting it every inch.

Thanks for reading my vent!

Chris

Old 10-02-2006, 10:56 PM
atomic
Road Warrior
Default RE: Got a Ticket for Pipes at Charity Poker Run!

If you have modified the pipes than how would you fight the ticket? Pay the fine would be my suggestion.

If you havn't modified the pipes than don't pay the fine and take it to court.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:01 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

That truly sucks, and is rather ironic, is it not? Oh well, I'm also one of those poor unfortunates who got a loud pipe ticket this year. The difference is that I got mine in Venice beach, and it was correctable. When the officer pulled me over, he asked if I wanted a speeding ticket(wtf?)I wasn't even speeding, or a loud pipe ticket. The loud pipe is not a moving violation so I opted for that. Anyway, I swapped out my pipes(kept the stockers just in case)and had it inspected at the sheriff's inspection. $25 later and some time swapping pipes I was rolling again. Are you sure the ticket is not a fix a ticket? I've never heard of that. I guess it could be in shi shi newport beach, but WTF? Anyway, we all know it could be worse, but the irony of the situation is just too much. If i were you I would take it to the inspection spot with quiet pipes for inspection and see what happens. Half of the time the people there have no idea what is a fix a ticket and what isn't.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:03 PM
4merRacer
Road Master

Fortunately, I am military and keep my bike registered in AZ even though I live here in CA. I was at that run, too. Should have let me know you were going. Then again, you would have gotten me a ticket.

It's too bad you got the one guy that was in a bad mood that day. Does CA have a decibel limit?

Old 10-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Gqchris
Cruiser

HOW in the hell do I sound like a smart azz? I was actually polite and cordial and eveything else you are supposed to be. Or maybe you are just stereotyping me like some officers do.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:18 PM
Gqchris
Cruiser

Maybe once I get the notice it will be checked "Correctable". I asked him if it was a fix it ticket, he told me he wasnt sure and didnt know much about the ticket. Go figure.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Gqchris
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: 4merRacer

Fortunately, I am military and keep my bike registered in AZ even though I live here in CA. I was at that run, too. Should have let me know you were going. Then again, you would have gotten me a ticket.

It's too bad you got the one guy that was in a bad mood that day. Does CA have a decibel limit?
Hey 4mer, I was going to PM ya, I decided to go the last minute! Yea lucky you didnt ride with me

Looking up the law, CA law says 95DB, but CHP website says that it has no way to test, only "officers discretion". They state they do not have funding for test equipment.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Nucklhead13
Stage I

That sounds like the kind of hassle you got to look out for before you ride into some place.
I couldn't help but get mad when I heard about Amarillo giving ticket for laod pipes. That's because they got a lot of old pickups driving there with worn out exaust pipes.

I really don't have to worry about that as much as I used to. When I was as the sea level I had drag pipes on my ride. When I got to Albuquerque at a higher altitude I had to get a set of things with bendable fingers to bolt into them pipes to give my 80n Sportster enough back pressure to run fine.

Now I got pipes that do't have much of a baffle. Still is laod enough for me to tell when to shift.

It's even funnier that I remember helping a custom shop owner run his drag bike in the late afternoon. He had us shove some rags in the pipes just as he shut the bike off so a bunch of cold air wouldn't hit the valves. Good luck in the cort.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:53 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Might be worth it to take it to court, as you more than likely have to pay court costs anyway. Demand a decibel meter be used (as that is the standard by which noise is apparently measured by). If they can't provide one, maybe the Officer can provide documentation of training he has received to accurately determine decible readings at a given distance auditorially.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:55 PM
4merRacer
Road Master

I guess you could always make a fake sound level reading online to read under 95 decibels. :-) Or just find a shop to do one for you and copy their's. You could also find a pipe that claims less than 95 and take in the packaging and tell them that's the brand on your bike. You could get a hearing test that shows you have perfect hearing and argue that your judge of volume is better than his. Lastly, print out what the CHP website states and use that to your advantage. For example, to use radar, officers are tested on their visual speed estimations when being certified to operate radar. Obviously they haven't/won't be doing this for sound so how can they prove that they exceed the limit of sound? The only drawback is that they might just throw out that modifying it in any way was illegal, regardless of volume.

Quick Reply: Got a Ticket for Pipes at Charity Poker Run!