General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a Ticket for Pipes at Charity Poker Run!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Ctimrun
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got a Ticket for Pipes at Charity Poker Run!

Do you think that laughing your *** off could have been interpreted by the cop as being a smart ***? How do you know he called for backup? Do you realize that being a cop is a dangerous job, and that an officer going by another officers traffic stop even when they don't ask for backup makes the job a little more safe? If you run modified pipes on your bike, why is the officer a jackass when he/she stops you?

I have received speeding tickets in the past and I thought, well how many times have I done it and got away with it? Now if I wasn't speeding I would be upset, but you said you modified your pipes right?

Unfortunately for you, you were the unlucky one he decided to stop.......

Keep in mind that most of the SoCal beach cities enforce CS traffic crap. You just have to expect that. I have heard that Huntington is one of the worst!!!

Old 10-03-2006, 10:58 PM
powerman
Cruiser

That really sucks! The donut shop was probably closed that day or maybe he really is a dick. Either way he could have just gave you a warning and went after some real criminals.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:47 PM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

Last time I checked modifying our exhaust has been illegal since 1979. I am sorry you were ticketed, but the cop was in his right to stop and ticket you, even if there were 599 other bikes with louder pipes riding by. Just like speeding on the freeway. Don't get me wrong dude, my pipes are modified - T-headers, but I take a chance I get a ticket everytime I ride out. Fight the ticket, see if the cop shows up in court. I bet he doesn't.

If it is a moving violation, the good news will be you won't have to change your pipes out. Maybe you can go to traffic school to get it off your record. If it is a fix it, throw some stock pipes on it and get it signed off.

I feel for ya, good luck.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:04 AM
Gqchris
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Ctimrun

Do you think that laughing your *** off could have been interpreted by the cop as being a smart ***? How do you know he called for backup? Do you realize that being a cop is a dangerous job, and that an officer going by another officers traffic stop even when they don't ask for backup makes the job a little more safe? If you run modified pipes on your bike, why is the officer a jackass when he/she stops you?

I have received speeding tickets in the past and I thought, well how many times have I done it and got away with it? Now if I wasn't speeding I would be upset, but you said you modified your pipes right?

Unfortunately for you, you were the unlucky one he decided to stop.......

Keep in mind that most of the SoCal beach cities enforce CS traffic crap. You just have to expect that. I have heard that Huntington is one of the worst!!!

Wow lots of questions, let me see if I can clarify some of these for you. I feel its a little strange when a city is HOSTING an event , being a charity poker run in this case, and the fire and police depts are BIG sponsors, to stop the people they ADVERTISED to come in to there city and spend money! Dude, believe me, I grew up here, I avoid NEWPORT and HUNTINGTON like the PLAGUE. I know they have nothing better to do, so why provoke them. But, I guess being the pea brain I am , I figure, well the police are blocking off roads for us to do the run on, I doubt they are busting for pipes and beanies, especially when most officers were in the ride itself! Do I know that I am breaking the law, awww yea, and I will take my punishment like a big boy. I am not on here ranting that I was doing 100 mph in a 35 and I think all cops are dicks! I just think some poor judgement was used. I have a ton of friends that are cops, I respect their job. Three units on a traffic stop in NEWPORT beach on a SUNDAY morning near Fashion Island, just a little overkill IMO. So dont come on here flaming me on how Cops have a tough job and wah wah. Asking questions when you are being cited does not constitute a Wise ***. Thats our right.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:10 AM
Gqchris
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: HTRAUD

Last time I checked modifying our exhaust has been illegal since 1979. I am sorry you were ticketed, but the cop was in his right to stop and ticket you, even if there were 599 other bikes with louder pipes riding by. Just like speeding on the freeway. Don't get me wrong dude, my pipes are modified - T-headers, but I take a chance I get a ticket everytime I ride out. Fight the ticket, see if the cop shows up in court. I bet he doesn't.

If it is a moving violation, the good news will be you won't have to change your pipes out. Maybe you can go to traffic school to get it off your record. If it is a fix it, throw some stock pipes on it and get it signed off.

Thanks HTRaud,

If it is a fix-it-ticket, I Can get it signed off without sticking stockers back on, not a problem there. Hoping thats what it is, I doubt it is though. Too bad the officer on scene did not know the law he was writing the ticket for. Nor did his other three companions. I agree with ya though, thanks for the good luck wishes.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:19 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

If it is a fix a ticket and you fix it, it does NOT show on your record. It costs $25 in WLA where I had to go $15 for inspection, $10 for the court fee. I just took care of mine in August. Not that big of a deal if you still ahve stock pipes and a couple of sockets.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:20 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Go to court. See if the cop shows up. Good chance he won't unless he has other cases assigned that day. If he is not there plead not guilty and the judge will didmiss it. Good luck.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:48 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gqchris

ORIGINAL: HTRAUD

Thanks HTRaud,

If it is a fix-it-ticket, I Can get it signed off without sticking stockers back on, not a problem there. Hoping thats what it is, I doubt it is though. Too bad the officer on scene did not know the law he was writing the ticket for. Nor did his other three companions. I agree with ya though, thanks for the good luck wishes.
You may want to consult an attorney. If the Officer did not know the law he was writing for, he may have made an error on the citation, that the lawyer can use to get your ticket dismissed. Unfortunately, it may cost you more for the attorney, than just paying the fine.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:12 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 55Bubba

Just a thought

If your pipes are truly not loud, go to court and ask for a jury trial. Put the cop on the stand and ask if he has received training in sound decibel detection and if so when was his hearing checked or certified? ASk how many loud noise tickets he has issued. ASk him to describe something that is 95db. research and find examples of 95 db. Bring a recording of your bike or bring your bike. NOw, if you have modified your pipes and he tickets you for that and not the noise, probably all bets are off.

The ticket should not go on your driving record because it is an equipment violation just like haveing a burned out headlight or tailight and not a moving violation. Should not affect your insurance.

Bubba
Yeah ask for a jury trial and then the Judge will make you pay court costs. How much is the fine anyway? Just pay the thing. You got caught. If you got a vilolation that had the possiblity of jail time than get a lawyer.jury trial.. For something minor like that what is the big deal?

Old 10-04-2006, 02:33 AM
hdcopp
Intermediate

maybe if you were not laughing your *** off the officer would have given you a break. Give respect get respect.

Quick Reply: Got a Ticket for Pipes at Charity Poker Run!