General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a Ticket for Pipes at Charity Poker Run!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 02:39 AM
socalsoftail
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got a Ticket for Pipes at Charity Poker Run!

Was it costa mesa PD ? ? Sorry if you said that already just scanned down real fast.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:17 AM
Gqchris
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: socalsoftail

Was it costa mesa PD ? ? Sorry if you said that already just scanned down real fast.
Newport Beach Police

Old 10-03-2006, 03:40 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Several SoCal jurisdictions are writing for this, citing you for modified exhaust (fine), instead of the typical fix it ticket. Malibu is notorious for this, and has been ocurring up on the Crest. Expect it to become more commonplace.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:42 AM
Gqchris
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Eyespy

Several SoCal jurisdictions are writing for this, citing you for modified exhaust (fine), instead of the typical fix it ticket. Malibu is notorious for this, and has been ocurring up on the Crest. Expect it to become more commonplace.
Thanks Eyespy, If you pay the fine, does it show on your driving record? Is there points involved with it?

Old 10-03-2006, 03:58 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

ORIGINAL: Gqchris

ORIGINAL: Eyespy

Thanks Eyespy, If you pay the fine, does it show on your driving record? Is there points involved with it?
I don't think so, but I have not gotten one yet (I stay out of Malibu, etc), so I cannot say for certain. So please see if you can confirm one way or the other before you decide what to do.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:30 PM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 4merRacer

I guess you could always make a fake sound level reading online to read under 95 decibels. :-) Or just find a shop to do one for you and copy their's. You could also find a pipe that claims less than 95 and take in the packaging and tell them that's the brand on your bike.
You take a misdemeanor traffic pinch and turn it into a felony forgery/perjury pinch.. Great idea....

Old 10-03-2006, 01:34 PM
yomomma22
Road Captain

GQ LOL... I can never read your posts at work. Avatar freaks me out. I see it and scroll fast befr my boss does.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,914 Likes on 815 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gqchris

Fortunately, I am military and keep my bike registered in AZ even though I live here in CA. I was at that run, too. Should have let me know you were going. Then again, you would have gotten me a ticket.

It's too bad you got the one guy that was in a bad mood that day. Does CA have a decibel limit?
Hey 4mer, I was going to PM ya, I decided to go the last minute! Yea lucky you didnt ride with me

Looking up the law, CA law says 95DB, but CHP website says that it has no way to test, only "officers discretion". They state they do not have funding for test equipment.
I would fight this in court. If the law says "95dB", then they have to prove your pipes were louder than 95dB or the ticket should get tossed. It would be like someone getting arrested for DUI, but the cops not taking a breath or blood sample to get the actual blood-alcohol level and then saying in court "I felt like he was over the limit".

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 10-03-2006, 01:57 PM
OzarkHarleyguy
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I symphatize with you, seems he singled you out or came along just when you were passing by. I'm hearing more and more stories like this so I've been reluctant to modify my '07 King. My last Harley was a Heritage and I got some looks from cops cause the pipes were loud but they didn't pull me over.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:23 PM
4merRacer
Road Master

ORIGINAL: alazlo

I guess you could always make a fake sound level reading online to read under 95 decibels. :-) Or just find a shop to do one for you and copy their's. You could also find a pipe that claims less than 95 and take in the packaging and tell them that's the brand on your bike.
You take a misdemeanor traffic pinch and turn it into a felony forgery/perjury pinch.. Great idea....
You're right. Judge might want to go to the house to check the brand on the bike. My bad. It was meant tongue in cheek but it's not like the judge would go out to find out for sure. It's only a civil fine. How many people argue that they weren't speeding knowing that they were? Perhaps when they're proven guilty via photo radar they should be charged with perjury.

Quick Reply: Got a Ticket for Pipes at Charity Poker Run!