General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Gubberment Interference....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011 | 11:14 AM
phillyrube
|
Road Warrior
Default More Gubberment Interference....

Virginia wants to ban young riders:

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/01/bill...ng-motorcycles

Old 01-18-2011 | 12:26 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member

Another dumb law. I'd rather decide if my son is ready to be on the back over the government.

Old 01-18-2011 | 12:30 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

While there haven't been any local casualties or serious injuries to children riding on motorcycles, the Police Department wants to prevent any from occurring, Wichtendahl said.

Far more children are hurt or killed riding bicycles, Danielson said.

Old 01-18-2011 | 12:41 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

I can't say I'm entirely against that law.

Old 01-18-2011 | 12:47 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain

Originally Posted by barjbar
I can't say I'm entirely against that law.
With no evidence to support this type of law at what point would you be against government intrusion on your liberties? The sad excuse of preventative is nanny state and is the root of all sorts of evils. Should the government ban motorcycles because of the potential to have a collision?

Should the government ban anything because of potential harm? That is not the role of government.

Old 01-18-2011 | 12:53 PM
badknees
Road Master

I hate government trying to control my life. BUT i do agree with part of that BUT it should be up to the parent using common sense to do it. I do not think it is not safe for a child around 6 and under to be on the back. Again for those that missed it . Not the Government!!!

Old 01-18-2011 | 12:57 PM
sucherman
Club Member

Aw cumon big bro jus wanna make baby safe. Gubment is alays doin sht to make them feel impotent, they think we's stupid.

Old 01-18-2011 | 01:00 PM
SlowRain
Road Master

If any of you have traveled internationally to any extent...this can be a common sight. I used to have to go over to Singapore maybe a dozen times a year and then catch the ferry over to Batam Indonesia or drive over to Malaysia...and there is nothing remotely attractive about that area of Indonesia. This was VERY common to see and actually I saw many with 5 on. And we aren't talking a few scooters here and there....hundreds at a time all time of the day.

Old 01-18-2011 | 01:26 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

After seeing a YouTube video of some jackass with his 5 year old sitting in the front with the kid's hands on the handlebars steering in traffic and the father smiling at the camera. Approximately 1 month later I read of a 5 year old dying in a motorcycle accident. The father had him on the tank. I don't remember if he was steering or not. Personally, if the child can't reach the passenger pegs or boards, I'd take him for a slow ride around the block and that's all. If Michigan outlawed no passengers until a certain age, it would be ok with myself.

Last edited by barjbar; 01-18-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2011 | 01:55 PM
curlydee
Road Master

Originally Posted by sucherman
Aw cumon big bro jus wanna make baby safe. Gubment is alays doin sht to make them feel impotent, they think we's stupid.
Ya can't fix stupid, we have been trying for years with our electoral system and it hasn't happened yet.

Last edited by curlydee; 01-18-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Quick Reply: More Gubberment Interference....