General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Gubberment Interference....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011 | 03:55 PM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cameraboy
The driver must wear one.

Seat belt laws are not to protect YOU, they are to protect the rest of the people on the road. So when you have to swerve to avoid something, you stay in your seat and maintain controll of the vehicle. Or when you are in a minor acccident but still moving, you stay in the seat and don't go sliding into the passenger side while your car crosses the double yellow and kills someone.
Umm, remember the part when I mentioned you were making some sense....yeah, scratch that.

Old 01-19-2011 | 03:58 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

If the seatbelt laws were to protect YOU, and not to make sure you can maintain control of your vehicle, then the law would also extent to people in the back seat. Which in NY it does not.

Go out on the highway after you are done with work, get the car up to 60, and when you are going under a bridge, take your seatbelt off, and go ahead and jerk the wheel hard to the left. as if you were avoiding an object or a person in the road. They go ahead and recover before you hit the bridge abuttment.

Good luck doing that from the passenger seat.

Old 01-19-2011 | 04:02 PM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member

If the seatbelt laws were to protect YOU, and not to make sure you can maintain control of your vehicle, then the law would also extent to people in the back seat. Which in NY it does not.
Which in Texas it does.

silverwolf79
Outstanding HDF Member

The driver must wear one.

Seat belt laws are not to protect YOU, they are to protect the rest of the people on the road. So when you have to swerve to avoid something, you stay in your seat and maintain controll of the vehicle. Or when you are in a minor acccident but still moving, you stay in the seat and don't go sliding into the passenger side while your car crosses the double yellow and kills someone.

In NY, busses under a certain size DO have seatbelts, btw. Don't knwo if that's the same everywhere though.
I'm talking about the children that are on the buses !!!!!!!

SMF
Banned

if the seatbelt laws were to protect you, and not to make sure you can maintain control of your vehicle, then the law would also extent to people in the back seat. Which in ny it does not.

Go out on the highway after you are done with work, get the car up to 60, and when you are going under a bridge, take your seatbelt off, and go ahead and jerk the wheel hard to the left. As if you were avoiding an object or a person in the road. They go ahead and recover before you hit the bridge abuttment.

actually hahahahahaha seatbelt laws are so they dont have to pay first responders to pick your brains off the road when you fly out the window. But seriously bro quit trolling just like every other thing you start your going to lose

Old 01-19-2011 | 04:03 PM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member

So I guess the helmet laws in New York are to protect other people from your flying brain matter?

Old 01-19-2011 | 04:04 PM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by silverwolf79
He knows that. It just didn't fit into his argument.

Old 01-19-2011 | 04:06 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

Here in NY, busses under a cerstain size have to have seatbelts.

Don't you think that if this was a gov't attempt to controll you or to make money, they would reward a big contract to one of their friends or supporter's companies to retrofit all busses with seatbelts?

There have been serious bus accidents and they haven't passed any laws requiring seat belts on busses that I'm aware of. Maybe there's something about school bus safety that I dont' knwo, but that someone who studies this for a living does?

Old 01-19-2011 | 04:07 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

So I guess the helmet laws in New York are to protect other people from your flying brain matter?
The NYS helmet laws ARE to protect only you, you are right. I don't have a problem with them, but I wouldn't have a problem if they were repealed either.

He knows that. It just didn't fit into his argument.
actually, it does. The driver has to wear one, because if he does not, he cannot maintain adequate control over the bus in the case of a major avoidance maneuver or even a minor accident. Which is the real reason behind the seatbelt law anyway.

Old 01-19-2011 | 04:08 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Go out on the highway after you are done with work, get the car up to 60, and when you are going under a bridge, take your seatbelt off, and go ahead and jerk the wheel hard to the left. as if you were avoiding an object or a person in the road. They go ahead and recover before you hit the bridge abuttment.

cameraboy, you are either a moron that believes everything they tell you or too young to remember the first campaigns for seat belt laws.
The first was the "I've never unbuckled a dead person" which is bullshit, as a former medic I have unbuckled dead people.
Then came the insurance angle, people were being injured that didn't have insurance and it was costing the taxpayers money to care for them, same one they have used for helmet laws BTW...
Now it is to protect others, what a load of CRAP! It is lawmakers pretending to be the all caring ones and generating revenue streams by creating new ways to fine people.

Quick Reply: More Gubberment Interference....