General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Gubberment Interference....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011 | 10:41 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

So you want a law to tell parents when to change the kids diapers?
No. But I am glad we have laws that say when a doctor, or teacher, or police officer, or medic observes neglect or abuse, that they must report it, and then the parent is held responsible.

there is a difference between "a law that tells parents when to change a diaper" and a law that removes a child from a parent who has not changed their child in an entire day or more, or fed them, or dressed them for the climate appropriately, or provided them necessary shelter.

Even with the laws some people still neglect their kids, you can't fix stupid. You can pass all the laws you want, and still bad things will happen.

Yes, even with the laws protecting children from neglect, some bad things will still happen. But some won't. Your logic seems to be that since SOME bad things will still happen, it is pointless to take action that will prevent some other bad things from happening. I think this is bad logic.

And when something bad does happen, like a toddler is found living in a box behind the kitchen stove in a diaper full of **** that hasn't been changed in two days, then the child can be taken from the parent or the parent can be forced to remedy the situation.

Or when the CG sees a boat loaded with kids under 12 underway with no life jackets onboard, they can stop that vessel and require them to get off the lake until their kids have life jackets.

Kids survived long before all these laws were passed because people took responsibility,
And some kids didn't.

the more people feel the Government is going to take care of them, the less they feel they need to be personally responsible, it's human nature...sadly...

This is about protecting children from neglectful parents, not your political philosophy. I'm pretty sure that a 5 year old in a boat that is required to wear a life jacket while underway is not thinking "yay! now I can just go on welfare!"

Old 01-19-2011 | 10:57 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member

I don't think this one will pass. But it seems as though these congressional dipshits in Virginia are just trying to invent new laws. Go figure ... VA is the easiest place to buy a gun and get a conceal permit. Personally I would not take a kid younger than like 10 with me but hey aren't horses dangerous too? Perhaps they should ban children on them too. Or how about the General Assembly just meet every 10 years ....

Old 01-19-2011 | 11:05 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

Some "people" can not have enough government intervention in their lives! What a sad time in this nations history.

Old 01-19-2011 | 11:24 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member

My daughter is 36 years old. She started riding with me when she was 4 years old. Here is a shot of her at about 32 years old taking the Rider's Edge course. I don't need no stinking government regulations to tell me what is good for me and my kids. My daughter now has two beautiful kids of her own. They ride with me occasionally. This is yet one more thread that everybody needs to stop wasting their time arguing with the Cameraboy moron that wants big government to step in and control every aspect of out lives. A few pages back Cameraboy mentioned how he liked laws requiring life jackets in boats for kids. WTF - I take my grandkids fishing and if the water is calm and boat traffic ain't too bad - I let them take off the life jackets! Hell - my daughter even lets them walk to school when there is ice on the sidewalks. How phucking dangerous is that!???

Attached Thumbnails More Gubberment Interference....-mydaughtertakingherlicenstest.jpg   More Gubberment Interference....-mygrandkidsthenextgenerationofbiker.jpg  
Old 01-19-2011 | 11:32 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

hey aren't horses dangerous too? Perhaps they should ban children on them too.
Horses do not typically use the public motorways. And when they do, there are laws associated with that.

few pages back Cameraboy mentioned how he liked laws requiring life jackets in boats for kids. WTF - I take my grandkids fishing and if the water is calm and boat traffic ain't too bad - I let them take off the life jackets!
Here in NY, you cannot have children under 12 in a boat underway without a life jacket on. So, you would not be breaking the law if your boat was at anchor. But you would still be required to HAVE a properly fitting life jacket for each child onboard.

GASP! HOW HORRIBLE!

And yes, I like this law, as too many children have drowned locally due to stupid parenting. Adults do not have to wear a life jacket at any time while in the boat. But they are required to have one onboard. Makes sense to me. I don't think this is infringing on my freedoms one bit. What freedom? The freedom to not have a lifejacket in the boat for each person on board?

Old 01-19-2011 | 11:35 AM
DeD Fred
Road Master

Im sure glad I got to grow up in real America.
I started riding at 7, and racing at 9.
My daughters were rode at 5, and ride at 7.
Their kids wont get that chance.

Old 01-19-2011 | 11:39 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by rh8234
Hell - my daughter even lets them walk to school when there is ice on the sidewalks. How phucking dangerous is that!???
Dude! You let your grandkids walk on ice? I'll have to call my district delegate and get a bill on the table to have kids wear helmets to school ..... LOL .. WTF?

Old 01-19-2011 | 11:47 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

I started riding at 7, and racing at 9.
My daughters were rode at 5, and ride at 7.
Their kids wont get that chance.
I'm pretty sure that, here in NY, you can still ride a motorcycle on private property at those ages.

Old 01-19-2011 | 11:50 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cameraboy

Here in NY, you cannot have children under 12 in a boat underway without a life jacket on. So, you would not be breaking the law if your boat was at anchor. But you would still be required to HAVE a properly fitting life jacket for each child onboard.

GASP! HOW HORRIBLE!

And yes, I like this law, as too many children have drowned locally due to stupid parenting. Adults do not have to wear a life jacket at any time while in the boat. But they are required to have one onboard. Makes sense to me. I don't think this is infringing on my freedoms one bit. What freedom? The freedom to not have a lifejacket in the boat for each person on board?
Pass all the laws you want CAMERABOY and kids will still die due to stupid parenting! My grandkids have been in boats that are actually underway (in fact they have been driving the boats) with no life jacket on. I was breaking the law. Guess what - that ain't the only law I break. I NEVER wear a phucking seat belt! Been stopped a few times for it and sometimes I get a ticket, sometimes I get a warning. I don't like seat belts and I don't like moron politicians telling me I have to wear one. I do not give a crap if it makes me safer. I do not want to wear the damn thing. My body - My choice.

Old 01-19-2011 | 11:54 AM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by phillyrube
Virginia wants to ban young riders:
Virginia wants to ban motorcycles. Period.

Originally Posted by cameraboy
No. But I am glad we have laws that say when a doctor, or teacher, or police officer, or medic observes neglect or abuse, that they must report it, and then the parent is held responsible.

Yes, even with the laws protecting children from neglect, some bad things will still happen. But some won't. Your logic seems to be that since SOME bad things will still happen, it is pointless to take action that will prevent some other bad things from happening. I think this is bad logic.

And when something bad does happen, like a toddler is found living in a box behind the kitchen stove in a diaper full of **** that hasn't been changed in two days, then the child can be taken from the parent or the parent can be forced to remedy the situation.
How the happy horse Fk did taking your kid for a ride lead to a comparison to stuffing him, shitty diaper and all, into a box behind the stove?????

Quick Reply: More Gubberment Interference....