General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Gubberment Interference....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011 | 12:08 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds to me like another case of a politician proposing a solution to a non-existent problem. Surely Va has real problems they can deal with.

Old 01-19-2011 | 05:52 AM
rjsimmons
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pargenz
Sounds to me like another case of a politician proposing a solution to a non-existent problem. Surely Va has real problems they can deal with.
Absolutely, such as MS-13 infesting Manassas.

Old 01-19-2011 | 09:28 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't come crying to me when they outlaw something you DO care about, and they will eventually at the rate they are going.
Just because it won't make any difference to you this time, what will it take for you to be less apathetic?

ah, the old "slippery slope" or "domino theory" fallacious argument.

How about the car seat laws that many states now have? Are you against those too?
Or life jacket laws for children, or laws requiring schooling or an approved home school curriculum?

You should be, according to your logic. Which I can respect on some level, even though I disagree to a high degree.

Old 01-19-2011 | 09:33 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cameraboy
ah, the old "slippery slope" or "domino theory" fallacious argument.

How about the car seat laws that many states now have? Are you against those too?
Or life jacket laws for children, or laws requiring schooling or an approved home school curriculum?

You should be, according to your logic. Which I can respect on some level, even though I disagree to a high degree.
Yes as a matter of fact I am opposed to all nanny state laws for one simple reason.... they say you are too stupid to take care of yourself so we will force you under penalty of law and make some revenue on it at the same time. How did we survive before our benevolent lawmakers decided to take care of us at every turn?

Old 01-19-2011 | 09:35 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

Cracks me up when a post starts out "Gubment".

The Government would not try to legislate this kind of stuff if all of our fellow riders took responsibility of thier actions and cost related to their actions. Bottom some idiot brought this issue to a legislators attention. Just like loud pipes. Just use your brain.

Old 01-19-2011 | 09:46 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes as a matter of fact I am opposed to all nanny state laws for one simple reason.... they say you are too stupid to take care of yourself so we will force you under penalty of law and make some revenue on it at the same time.
I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't see it that way or take it personally.

I have seen, out on the lake, boats filled with 5 or more kids under 12 without life vests. If it was just YOU that was the issue, an adult, I wouldn't care. But it's about kids. A kid who isn't old enough to understand.

There's a thread on here about a woman who got pulled for driving drunk, and her toddler was in the car in a soaking wet diaper, no carseat. Just laying on the seat.

I'm curious, do you think that she should not be penalized or charged with failure to have the kid in a carseat, and possibly child neglect, as the kid had not been changed possibly for hours and hours?

I'm glad that there are laws requiring that toddlers be properly restrained in a car. Sure, most people woudl do that anyway, but some wouldn't. I've seen it. And I think all kids deserve to be kept safe until they are old enough to know better. Especially on the road, where it is not an issue of rights, it's an issue of agreeing to the rules in order to use public roadways.

Old 01-19-2011 | 09:59 AM
underdog2003
Advanced

Well said cameraboy!

Old 01-19-2011 | 10:07 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Future Biker, age 2 months....

Yeah, he's a little young to be riding on the back, but notice that he already has the 'growl look' on his face when sitting on a Harley.

Old 01-19-2011 | 10:11 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cameraboy
I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't see it that way or take it personally.

I have seen, out on the lake, boats filled with 5 or more kids under 12 without life vests. If it was just YOU that was the issue, an adult, I wouldn't care. But it's about kids. A kid who isn't old enough to understand.

There's a thread on here about a woman who got pulled for driving drunk, and her toddler was in the car in a soaking wet diaper, no carseat. Just laying on the seat.

I'm curious, do you think that she should not be penalized or charged with failure to have the kid in a carseat, and possibly child neglect, as the kid had not been changed possibly for hours and hours?

I'm glad that there are laws requiring that toddlers be properly restrained in a car. Sure, most people woudl do that anyway, but some wouldn't. I've seen it. And I think all kids deserve to be kept safe until they are old enough to know better. Especially on the road, where it is not an issue of rights, it's an issue of agreeing to the rules in order to use public roadways.
So you want a law to tell parents when to change the kids diapers?

Even with the laws some people still neglect their kids, you can't fix stupid. You can pass all the laws you want, and still bad things will happen.

Kids survived long before all these laws were passed because people took responsibility, the more people feel the Government is going to take care of them, the less they feel they need to be personally responsible, it's human nature...sadly...

Old 01-19-2011 | 10:29 AM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member

Arkansas already has this but the surrounding states don't....i believe Louisiana is no one under 5...so i leave home an ease to another state.....

Quick Reply: More Gubberment Interference....