General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Gubberment Interference....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011 | 02:08 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member

The very definition of 'Nanny State'.

Old 01-18-2011 | 02:13 PM
daltrey
Cruiser

As a once motorcycle resident of Virginia I can see why I moved. Honestly Virginia needs to focus on the gangs and drug dealers in their state and have the law do their job. I was constantly pulled over and harassed on my bike to the point that it wasn't even fun riding there anymore.

Bottom Line-Virginia is a very non biker friendly state.

Last edited by daltrey; 01-19-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2011 | 02:22 PM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member

I let my 7yo daughter ride with me back and forth to my parent's house (about 2 miles all residential) She always makes me wear my ff helmet when she rides with me. But she can reach the Passenger pegs and her arms reach all the way around me. (no that I lost a few pounds). Would I take her out on the highway? No, not for a couple more years or so. Do I want the Gvt telling me that I can't? Not in the least. Every time they take control of something its just another step to controling every little detail of our lives.

The picture was taken a year ago when she was 6 and I let her take a ride around the block with me.

Attached Thumbnails More Gubberment Interference....-img_0437.jpg  
Old 01-18-2011 | 02:31 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

During my 22 years as a leo I saw to many young drivers die in car accidents.

I had the opposite belief when my three sons were growing. I felt that learning to ride on a mini bike was a good way to learn skills that would make them better drivers when they got their first licenses.

they are 28,37 and 39 now and have had excellent success in driving without ever having an accident. I am at 1.7 million miles without any accidents. I put some of the credit to learning to ride motorbikes at age 14.

As I watched my sons navigate the rural subdivision I saw them signal turns, watch for cars coming out of driveways and judging braking distances.

Here is a picture of my oldest when he was 10 on his Yamaha that was a mini replica of my XS1100.

Old 01-18-2011 | 02:44 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member

I started riding my niece and nephew around the parking lot after church on Sundays staring when they were about 5. We ventured out into the street a little after that, always geared up and helmeted. Having me drive them to school was a memory I cherish. They would have me ride around the block if there weren't enough kids there to see them! To have some politicians tell me someone else won't be able to have that experience really riles me up.

Old 01-18-2011 | 02:59 PM
pcbertsch
Tourer

Glad I moved from the Beach to Currituck. Still have to go there for work, but son't have to deal with 24/7.

Old 01-18-2011 | 03:04 PM
krwould
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force

WTF! They ought to ban them idiots I seen rock climbin with babies on their backs too! Too many politicians with their nose in everybody elses business and not takin care of their own!

Old 01-18-2011 | 03:10 PM
1hellbent
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rjsimmons
With no evidence to support this type of law at what point would you be against government intrusion on your liberties? The sad excuse of preventative is nanny state and is the root of all sorts of evils. Should the government ban motorcycles because of the potential to have a collision?

Should the government ban anything because of potential harm? That is not the role of government.
Nicely put.

Old 01-18-2011 | 03:19 PM
10ring
Road Captain

Originally Posted by barjbar
After seeing a YouTube video of some jackass with his 5 year old sitting in the front with the kid's hands on the handlebars steering in traffic and the father smiling at the camera. Approximately 1 month later I read of a 5 year old dying in a motorcycle accident. The father had him on the tank. I don't remember if he was steering or not. Personally, if the child can't reach the passenger pegs or boards, I'd take him for a slow ride around the block and that's all. If Michigan outlawed no passengers until a certain age, it would be ok with myself.
I take it that it isn't your ox being gored?

Old 01-18-2011 | 03:27 PM
fj1200
Tourer

If the government has to enact a law, shouldn't it be based on whether the child can reach the passenger pegs and not the child's age? Nevermind, trying to use logic when dealing with the goverment

Quick Reply: More Gubberment Interference....