General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Gubberment Interference....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011 | 04:10 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

Now it is to protect others, what a load of CRAP!
So then it's your positon that a seat belt DOESN'T keep you in the driver's seat during an avoidance maneuver or a primary accident?

Anyway, I'm going home. See ya everyone.

Last edited by cameraboy; 01-19-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2011 | 04:12 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cameraboy
So then it's your positon that a seat belt DOESN'T keep you in the driver's seat during an avoidance maneuver or a primary accident?
Nice twist, but that is not what I said or implied, so the first part of my post was correct.

Old 01-19-2011 | 04:32 PM
silverwolf79
Outstanding HDF Member

The NYS helmet laws ARE to protect only you, you are right. I don't have a problem with them, but I wouldn't have a problem if they were repealed either.

actually, it does. The driver has to wear one, because if he does not, he cannot maintain adequate control over the bus in the case of a major avoidance maneuver or even a minor accident. Which is the real reason behind the seatbelt law anyway.
Well , here in Pa the seatbelt law requires EVERYONE in a vehicle to have
a seatbelt on !
But why in a school bus is it not required ?
You do bring up a few good points cameraboy , but what you're arguing is common sense !
Government doesn't deal with common sense , they just dictate !

Old 01-19-2011 | 04:36 PM
10ring
Road Captain

The driver must wear one.

Seat belt laws are not to protect YOU, they are to protect the rest of the people on the road.
This is not true. Seat belt laws are are sold to the public as a way to prevent injury to everyone in the vehicle involved in an accident.
The federal government, once upon a time, required all the states to enact seat belt laws or suffer the heavy hand of wrath: highway funds would be withheld unless the states rolled over. Most states of which I'm aware trotted out state troopers to exclaim " I've never unbuckled a corpse from a seat belt! But I've seen a million corpses not buckled in, in auto wrecks. If you wear the belt you will survive an accident" They looked quite official and like they knew what they were talking about. This sounded pretty good to the people throughout the land. Everyone passed seat belt laws. And now no one dies in accidents while buckled-up
Except that I've cut quite a few buckled-up corpses from autos. Go figure.

Old 01-19-2011 | 04:48 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"

I was on the tank of Daddy's Chief while I was in diapers...By the time I was four, I was on the back with no bitch bar & no passenger pegs. Granted, traffic wasn't as bad then, but it should be a parental decision...Not a governmental one.

Old 01-19-2011 | 04:55 PM
silverwolf79
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gypsylady
I was on the tank of Daddy's Chief while I was in diapers...By the time I was four, I was on the back with no bitch bar & no passenger pegs. Granted, traffic wasn't as bad then, but it should be a parental decision...Not a governmental one.
Amen Sister !!!

Old 01-19-2011 | 05:04 PM
rscalzo
Road Warrior

Unsafe operation should be handled on a individual basis. I have no problem requiring a properly sized helmet for a juvenile. Not being able to reach the peg is not the best idea if one is riding on busy roadways. A quite backroad has a much different set of problems than that of the interstates.

One basic problem I've more than once was injuries that far exceeded the owner's policy limits. Budget insurance policies come back to bite you in the *** at that time. The last was a DWI that crashed when he didn't realize the roadway was a dead end. The helmet unsecured resulted in massive head injuries. The ongoing rehabilitation and multiple surgeries caused the family to suffer economic ruin. This is compounded greatly when a small child is involved.

I have no small kids (actually none at all), nor will I ride any small kids on the bike. Frankly, I don't want the responsibility of a possible accident on my conscious.

Old 01-19-2011 | 05:51 PM
poppa steve
Advanced

IMO the argument isn't against safety or being safe it's about being free to make those decisions for yourself.We all make a similar decision when we take up riding motorcycles. JMO

Old 01-19-2011 | 06:26 PM
GrimmRider
Road Captain

If common sense was dealt equally to everyone at the table I’d say the government needs to keep out of our business, but obviously there are a lot of stupid people amongst us and they need all the help they can get wanted or not.

When it comes to our children I agree with the old saying, Better Safe than Sorry.

Old 01-19-2011 | 11:01 PM
SMF
Banned

The NYS helmet laws ARE to protect only you, you are right. I don't have a problem with them, but I wouldn't have a problem if they were repealed either.

actually, it does. The driver has to wear one, because if he does not, he cannot maintain adequate control over the bus in the case of a major avoidance maneuver or even a minor accident. Which is the real reason behind the seatbelt law anyway.
bro you come off as straight retarded you know that? , and your right helmet laws are the same **** they dont want to have to be scooping your brains up off the floor.

Quick Reply: More Gubberment Interference....